Author Topic: Jonathan Frid Flubbing His Lines  (Read 8265 times)

ClaudeNorth

Re: Jonathan Frid Flubbing His Lines
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2004, 05:26:47 AM »
I think he was at a bit of a disadvantage in that his character wouldn't be using slang, he always had to speak with conviction with no stuttering, etc.   

In one of the DVD interviews, Sam Hall said that some of Barn's early dialogue was so Byron-esque as to be silly.  So perhaps absurdity had something to do with it.

Flubbed lines aside (and under the circumstances, they are entirely forgivable) he certainly gave Barnabas all that humanity and charm with seemingly little effort.

i just laughing at the thought of Barnabas and slang (of 1968) "groovy, far out, the colors man" come to mind LOL
agree with you totally!

jennifer

<LOL>  There's an idea:  Willie could have taught Barnabas how to be "mod" -- a hip, swingin' cat from London, decked out in the latest Carnaby Street fashions.

On that note, it is interesting to think about how "timeless" DS is.  DC and Company managed to keep out any sort of then-contemporary references.  Aside from hair, clothing, and make-up, there is really nothing about the series that links it to the 1960s or early 1970s.  Considering the show's youth appeal, it's surprising that there weren't attempts made to cater to that audience.  (You know how networks like to tamper with success...) 

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2004, 09:59:23 AM »
I don't know if Mr. Frid ever suffered from stage fright, but that can make an actor forget his lines.

I've read that memorization has never been his strength as an actor, whether for the stage or television.  He could have been very successful in movies, or in television today, despite such a liability, given all the takes and re-takes that are typically needed for every scene.

I remember being a little surprised at a comment KLS made at the festival in Anaheim a couple of years ago.  She was asked a question about Mr. Frid and his reputation for forgetting his lines.  KLS commented that as a young person during the production of DS, memorization of lines presented no problem, and she added in reference to those who had difficulties with this that they should "just memorize them."  I can appreciate the exasperation that some actors might have with those who have a problem memorizing lines, but I didn't think she was very understanding of the problem.

I agree with VictoriaWinters when she comments that even when he forgot his lines, Frid never broke character.  I would agree with that.  I am usually so riveted by his performance that I tend not to notice the majority of his flubs until they're pointed out to me.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2004, 10:50:16 AM »
I've been watching an awful lot of DS lately and I've noticed that more often than not, JF's flubbed or mixed up or forgotten lines almost always seem to take place during "same old, same old" dialogue, discussions of the crisis of the day, etc.  After awhile that sort of stuff gets harder and harder to memorize IMHO.  Where he really does well and shines are in poignant, deeply emotional or just plain interesting/unusual scenes - something he can really
'sink his teeth into'. <<---  (sorry...sorry...that's REALLY bad - I know)   ::)

The comment Vlad made about KLS.  Ya know, it seems like in almost every appearance I've seen of her - either in person or on tape, she always says something about his "terrible time remembering lines" and quite frankly I'm tired of hearing about it from her.   :P

"Just memorize them" ???   Yeah, okay.  Easy for her to say.  She obviously didn't have much trouble with that.  (Both her and Nancy Barrett seemed consistently flawless in that area)
But is seems to me that memorizing lines, and quickly, is a natural ability and either you have it or you don't.  Has anyone on here ever done any acting?  (Or attempted to? - LOL)
Once back in high school I did this summer workshop theater thing and got the lead in a play.  (Sorry, Wrong Number)  It was really a dumb choice for a play on the instructor's part 'cause the lead had about 98% of all the dialogue.  But anyway, it was a nightmare.  After a few pages I was dead.  It was just impossible.  I had to have the script hidden inside this magazine in front of me -- absolutely could NOT memorize all that stuff in a million years.  (Thus ended my little exploration into acting)  LOL

-CLC
VP & General Manager
MagazineTeleprompter Props of America
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Nancy

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2004, 02:57:43 PM »
I remember being a little surprised at a comment KLS made at the festival in Anaheim a couple of years ago.  She was asked a question about Mr. Frid and his reputation for forgetting his lines.  KLS commented that as a young person during the production of DS, memorization of lines presented no problem, and she added in reference to those who had difficulties with this that they should "just memorize them."  I can appreciate the exasperation that some actors might have with those who have a problem memorizing lines, but I didn't think she was very understanding of the problem.

I imagine it can be a little annoying for the technically perfect performer to not get as much attention as the performer who is technically imperfect but manages to capture the audience's imagination and ignite their passion on a far greater scale.    It smacks of sour grapes when certain actors comment on it especially when they attend the festivals and the technically imperfect actors do not and are constantly asked for.;)

Nancy

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2004, 03:36:35 PM »
Who among us would find it amusing to constantly have to be ready to cover for a co-worker's mistakes?

Especially in the circumstances of live videotaping where every mistake could cost a great deal of money?

I have no idea how often it really happened.... but if it happened often enough for Frid to have a reputation for it, it was probably often enough to entitle his co-workers to be irritated by it.

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Nancy

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2004, 04:25:06 PM »
I know I would be irritated beyond belief having to constantly cover up for someone else's mistakes.

But then I would not turn around and capitalize off that same person's success while still complaining about that individual. That strikes me as being rather hypocritical.  I have yet to DS brought out outside any DS festival or fan event say, when DS is brought up - "Hey, how about that Kathryn Leigh Scott! Remember her?!" Not once.

Nancy

Who among us would find it amusing to constantly have to be ready to cover for a co-worker's mistakes?

Especially in the circumstances of live videotaping where every mistake could cost a great deal of money?

I have no idea how often it really happened.... but if it happened often enough for Frid to have a reputation for it, it was probably often enough to entitle his co-workers to be irritated by it.

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2004, 07:26:27 PM »
Lara has at times complained about JF going up on his lines but she has also said at other times that she thought it also made his performance more riveting and a lot of times it added to a scene she was in with him, so at least she appreciated his talent and said she enjoyed working with him.

What frosted me was in listening to the Conversation with Grayson CD she thought Jonathan was "dumb" because he flubbed the lines and that he was not a very good actor...interesting observation coming from an actress who constantly gave over the top performances on the show to the point where there have been so many humerous takeoffs of her peformance as Julia in skits and in the videos the guy who impersonates Julia does....

To me, Jonathan overacted at a minimum on the show ( I can think of one scene where he did, when he got bitten by the bat in Leviathan), but for the most part as many here have said he stayed in character and more often than not gave a very realistic, natural performance where he sometimes was able to even recover from a flub...I think you have to go with the overall acting performance rather than pick at specifics--a reason I have never considered til now is maybe one reason a lot of us could never see Julia with Barnabas is that she was almost campy at times, whereas with Barnabas and Angelique you could see the romantic/erotic undertones in many of those fights they had...and the scenes flowed more naturally..

Nancy

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2004, 07:59:46 PM »
One of the things I admire personally about Jonathan Frid is that I know he did not work four years with a group of people - his colleagues - without having any criticisms or complaints about any cast member or production member. But you haven't heard him criticize them made in public on the stage at the festivals or anywhere else because he doesn't do that. It's called class.

Nancy

Offline Angelina

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2004, 09:05:04 PM »
Well, I was born shortly after the whole show was cancelled.  I watch DS on DVD and Frid's Barnabas is the reason I pay $40 odd for those sets.  I love Grayson Hall's performance, but Frid is why I buy.  I don't think I'd be so into this stuff if he was "dumb".  Granted, I partly like him cause he was so darn hot -- but it wasn't just that.  He was no better looking than Jerry Lacey or Joel Crothers -- just sexier (and that was largely via his performance!!)

I read some recent transcripts, though, and it seems that John Karlen is someone who is very respectful and admiring towards Frid.  He is one who has noted that Frid had loads of dialogue, etc.  Karlen, like Frid, made his character someone you genuinely cared about.  Willie is compelling and sympathetic...much like Barnabas.  Makes me wonder if he understood better where Frid was coming from acting wise.

As for KLS, loads of her dialogue was just repeating the last thing said to her.  Concerned person: "Why were you in the cemetary?"  KLS: "The cemetary?"  Concerned person: "Yes, you seemed lost!"  KLS: "Lost?"  It happened so much so that many of her scenes were boring and drearily repetitive.  Not her fault, mind, (she didn't write Maggie, afterall)...but her scenes could get plenty dull nonetheless.

Frid could bring us into his performance.  Even if his repetition of lines was off, he still was magnetic.  Some other performers could give perfect readings, and somehow manage to bore me.  Just because someone can remember lots of dialogue doesn't mean they can convey the emotions necessary to make us give a toss, afterall.

BTW, I kind of think the best actor on the show was probably Thayer David.  He memorized lines quite perfectly, could save a flub, and made his character compelling without overacting.  Frid's my favorite but I still have to give props out to Thayer.

As for Grayson, awww...I still love her.  She did overact and pulled the silliest faces but I still love her.  She was fun to watch and had great chemistry with Frid.  Makes me wonder why she'd diss him so.  ???

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2004, 11:02:09 PM »

I imagine it can be a little annoying for the technically perfect performer to not get as much attention as the performer who is technically imperfect but manages to capture the audience's imagination and ignite their passion on a far greater scale.  It smacks of sour grapes when certain actors comment on it especially when they attend the festivals and the technically imperfect actors do not and are constantly asked for.;)

Maybe if JF bought a few of KLS' books, she'd be less inclined to criticize him... ;)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2004, 11:03:31 PM »
As for Grayson, awww...I still love her.  She did overact and pulled the silliest faces but I still love her.  She was fun to watch and had great chemistry with Frid.  Makes me wonder why she'd diss him so.  ???

Eh!  I would guess she was just running her mouth (as was the norm).  I haven't heard that interview but I know she had a tendency to sort of over-speak, "let it all hang out", maybe speak first, think later, etc.  LOL
When I saw Jonathan and Grayson together they appeared quite chummy.
Anyway, it's easy to take a comment from an interview and blow it out of proportion without knowing the people involved and their relationship with each other.

;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2004, 01:21:26 AM »
And sometimes when Jonathan Frid delivered his lines flawlessly, it was an incredible bit of acting.  I particularly remember the classic scene where he returns to the Old House after being released by Willie and sorrowfully addresses the essence of Josette in the portrait.
I think that might be my favorite JF moment.  Really shows Barnabas' insecurity and vulnerability, especially those final words, "whatever that may turn out to be."  (Not sure if that's the exact quote.)

As we like to say on another list, that was most certainly a *defining moment*. Having watched the early Barnabas episodes again recently, especially the early B&J eps., all I can say is that whatever flaws there were, it never undermined the power, the energy of Frid's performance. Those complex characters had such chemistry...that's what strikes you the most. But of course I love the bloopers, and can really get a kick out of the absurdity of various situations...

I just look at it as a celebration of the whole entity that is DS...it's all good.

Stop rolling your eyes at me... LOL.   ;)

<LOL>  There's an idea:  Willie could have taught Barnabas how to be "mod" -- a hip, swingin' cat from London, decked out in the latest Carnaby Street fashions.

LMAO. Always got the gears turning, doncha Jean-Claude?  ;D

On that note, it is interesting to think about how "timeless" DS is.  DC and Company managed to keep out any sort of then-contemporary references.  Aside from hair, clothing, and make-up, there is really nothing about the series that links it to the 1960s or early 1970s.

Certain members of my family and I have talked about that...at length, believe it or not.  :P  Although, one thing my sister and I have caught is references to modern music...definitely heard a few Beatles melodies played in the Blue Whale at one time or another, etc...

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline scottd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2004, 06:21:44 AM »
I've always thought that a lot of the flubs made the characters seem more real to me, more natural. It does seem Jonathan Frid did it the most, but I've also never found him to be less than convincing. I think Connie may be on to something as far as JF seeming to flub his lines more with certain types of dialogue. A lot of his big scenes seem like monologues to me, like the one Gerard mentioned, and he just nails them. My favorite scene is when he tells Carolyn and Vicki the story of Josette's death! It's a huge piece of dialogue and he's so good.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2004, 11:23:57 AM »
My favorite scene is when he tells Carolyn and Vicki the story of Josette's death! It's a huge piece of dialogue and he's so good.

Scott, I've been thinking of that scene too, and was planning to post a separate thread asking if anyone has access to that speech.  Somone posted it on the forum several years back.  I would love to have a copy of it again!  Anyone?!?  A phrase that might be searched on google, perhaps?  I remember something about the bloodless body at the foot of Widow's Hill.

Frid did a superb job in that very effective scene!

Regarding KLS, I'm sure she meant no ill will and has expressed her fondness for JF too.  She seems to tell anecdotes that will entertain an audience -- a few years back she was interviewed for a tabloid about DS, and some of her memories, while hilarious, are known not to have been accurate (for example, I think she repeated the story of someone jumping from Widow's Hill and bouncing back up into the frame).

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2004, 03:45:58 PM »
Amen Nancy.  It's called class, but this time with capitol "C".  He is one of the great actors I have had the great pleasure of seeing.  If you want to see "Class", watch Barnabas, Vicki and Carolyn at Collinwood.  There is a storm, lights go out, and it was still filmed in b/w.  'Barnabas' tells them about Josette.

He  a slow reader.  And besides, who hasn't "Flub his Lines"
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.