Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1048  (Read 1025 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1048
« on: August 09, 2010, 10:19:45 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1048
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 11:32:55 PM »
Oh no, by way of wardrobe and a little stuffiness, they are once again tilting PT Roger in the direction of RT Roger.   [spoiler]Red herring![/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 03:35:31 AM »
What could the familiar greeting be that Hoffman gave Hamilton?

Was it, “Hiya, pal. Long time no see”? Or maybe, “The pellet with the poison’s in the chalice with the palace. The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true.”

Julia really screwed up here. Probably because she’s exhausted. Let’s see. She’s playing housemaid up at Collinwood, running around looking for Roxanne, and protecting Barnabas during the day. Did I leave anything out? I mean, when does this poor woman sleep?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 03:48:32 AM »
7/1/70

[spoiler]A year from this date DS will be no more! :(      [/spoiler]

YAY Gray Day!

LOL I love how Grayson sprinted to her room!  I always thought she ran or walked briskly very funnily 

Once again Nancy Barrett is knocking it out of the park with her performance of the sad, hate filled and drunkerd Carolyn Loomis. She is one of my favorite characters from the series.  I just wish we had saw more of her in PT but the movie was shooting and so we didn't. I love the way Nancy Barrett is dressed in this storyline as well. 

I am glad to see Louis used more often in this storyline as I love this Roger.  He is great fun.

Hmmm….wonder who is listening??
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 04:26:30 AM »
Oh no, by way of wardrobe and a little stuffiness, they are once again tilting PT Roger in the direction of RT Roger.
Yes, that was interesting.  When Roger was talking to Angelique (except he thinks she's Alexis), he had on a blue ascot, and then when he was scolding Carolyn, he had changed into a regular suit and tie, and Carolyn was wearing a long blue scarf.  I can't decide if somebody noticed that Roger and Carolyn were dressed sort of alike so Louis Edmonds made a quick change, or if it was felt that you can't take a moral stand while wearing an ascot.  Either way, I'm still having trouble fitting the wardrobe change into the Dark Shadows universe.

Barnabas should have told Julia to run, not walk to the parallel time room, and stay there, hiding behind a drape perhaps, until it changes.  She wouldn't listen to him, of course, because she won;t leave him - but at least he should have said it.  They were both of them fools today.

Barnabas was something of a fool on another point as well.  Does he really think Carolyn cares if she gets into trouble?  The worst thing has happened already.  I agree with Taeylor that Nancy Barrett's doing a fine job in this stage of the life of Carolyn Stoddard Loomis.  Remembering Carolyn and Will before Will's death, I find it hard to believe that she cared that much for him (I expect I'll get contradicted on this, but that's all to the good), but putting that out of my mind, I find Barrett's performance very believable.

We saw more of Inspector Hamilton today, and learned a little more about the late Julia Hoffman.  She used to work for the Richardsons, but then came to work for Angelique.  I always think of Angelique and Hoffman as being friends from womb to tomb, but of course that can't be right because Hoffman is about a decade and a half older than Angelique.  So Hoffman would have had an adult life while Angelique and Alexis were growing up, with friends like the Inspector Hamilton and his wife.  And then Angelique put her hair up and started wearing long skirts - so to speak - and suddenly Hoffman had found her final obsession.  But just as Julia had an obsession before she met Barnabas - i.e. delving into the physical ins and outs of being a vampire - so Hoffman would have had an obsession before she met Angelique.  What was it?  Maybe it was Jane Hamilton, who died and who didn't come back from the grave.

I hate seeing Angelique figure out that Julia is Dr. Julia Hoffman, but it was neat to see Angelique sitting there after Inspector Hamilton left, with her eyes big with discovery.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 04:50:03 AM »
... but it was neat to see Angelique sitting there after Inspector Hamilton left, with her eyes big with discovery.

Yes.  I can't help thinking about that barrier we all cross, between "sensible" real life and life where magic happens, whenever we watch DS, and which the characters have to cross mentally, when they're backed into a corner and have no choice but to consider the supernatural, or the weird.  What does it feel like for that not to be TV, but actually real?   Ang is all about the supernatural already, but there might be a bit of that membrane to be broken for her still, when she tries to consider that Julia might be some other "Julia".   I wonder what that feels like.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 08:05:24 PM »
Oh no, by way of wardrobe and a little stuffiness, they are once again tilting PT Roger in the direction of RT Roger.
Yes, that was interesting.  When Roger was talking to Angelique (except he thinks she's Alexis), he had on a blue ascot, and then when he was scolding Carolyn, he had changed into a regular suit and tie, and Carolyn was wearing a long blue scarf.  I can't decide if somebody noticed that Roger and Carolyn were dressed sort of alike so Louis Edmonds made a quick change, or if it was felt that you can't take a moral stand while wearing an ascot.  Either way, I'm still having trouble fitting the wardrobe change into the Dark Shadows universe.

Well, one could easily presume that the ascot look was PTRoger's casual attire for the day. But one must dress for dinner - and that look simply would not have done!  [nodno]  [nono] [noway]  (OMG - what would the local society editor(of Will's Carolyn friends with a vampire remark) have said if he'd seen PTRoger show up to dinner dressed like that?!  :o)