Author Topic: Updated profiles - EMAIL ADDRESSES  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Updated profiles - EMAIL ADDRESSES
« on: February 23, 2003, 09:09:44 PM »
While many of us are taking the time to update our profiles, while birthdates, avatars, or secret questions are completely optional, I hope everyone can verify that their profile lists a current email address.  I can't speak for MB or dom, but I'm being inundated with password requests following the conversion.  Now please understand that if someone is having a login problem I do want them to let one of us know, but the vast majority of the forum-related emails I'm receiving have to do with a problem that can easily be solved by using the Forgot password? link on the login page, which of course requires a current email addy.

Please don't forget that if you decide to change your email address, a new password will be generated by the system, and you'll be required from then on to log in with the new one in order to regain access to your account.  Oh, and I should mention that MB and I haven't had a chance to test to see if Compuserve, AOL, Netscape, and Road Runner servers accept email at our new location and with this version, sorry.

Thanks!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Updated profiles - EMAIL ADDRESSES
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 12:13:03 AM »
A word of warning about passwords:

While I was just looking through some of the system scripts, I noticed that this version of YaBB encrypts passwords. This is definitely a good thing all around. But it also means that once we've completely changed over to this new SE system, we'll no longer be able to look up people's passwords for them. The only way to retrieve a missing password will be for a member to use the Forgot Password?" feature to have it sent to the e-mail address with which they registered. So, it might be a good idea to keep that e-mail address active (in the case of AOLers who had to create a different address) and to write down your username and password (and e-mail address, in the case of those AOLers) and to make sure you put it in a safe place that you're not going to forget about (which is what I usually do - LOL). ;)

The easiest thing to do might be to just use the "Forgot Password?" feature to send your info to your e-mail address and then be sure to save and not delete that e-mail. That way you can just lookup the e-mail if you'll ever need the info in the future.

Offline Afan

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2003, 12:38:17 AM »
Afan here.  I used my correct password, was taken to the Current Talk and Testing screen, but was booted out when I clicked on anything.  I e-mailed over and over (see Aol and Hellish time signing on).  I appreciate all of your hard work, and only suggest that we have some way of calling for help when we get stuck like I was for a week.  Finally solved part of the problem on my own when I used computer belonging to my husband not loaded with Norton, and I am ok now. But felt so frustrated that I could not contact you for help.  I used the address on your welcome message to me when I became a member, but never got a reply.  Tell everyone to ditch Norton if they want to stay on this Board. Thank you. Afan
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

Nancy

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2003, 07:51:00 AM »
I typed in my password, and nothing happened. I get a "clink" sound after I type it in my profile (so I can change the profile).  I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Nancy

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2003, 08:02:51 PM »
I typed in my password, and nothing happened. I get a "clink" sound after I type it in my profile (so I can change the profile).  I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Hi.  You should have received this error when you tried to save the change(s):  You haven't entered your current Password. You have to enter your current Password to make any changes to your Profile.

It may not have been typed correctly, or if you used the back button or refreshed the page it would've had to be reentered.  Also, make sure you're entering it near the top in the Required Information section.  The area in which you're asked to type it twice is only for changing your pw and the original still has to be entered at the top in order to do that

Hope that helped.

Nancy

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2003, 04:46:17 AM »
Yeah, I saw that Midnite but still no go.  I typed in the password - which is the same that I use to get into the forum, so I thought.  But I still could not get in. I accept quite willingly I am the one who is probably not doing something right. I just don't know what. :-[

Nancy

Hi.  You should have received this error when you tried to save the change(s):  You haven't entered your current Password. You have to enter your current Password to make any changes to your Profile.

It may not have been typed correctly, or if you used the back button or refreshed the page it would've had to be reentered.  Also, make sure you're entering it near the top in the Required Information section.  The area in which you're asked to type it twice is only for changing your pw and the original still has to be entered at the top in order to do that

Hope that helped.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2003, 04:58:47 AM »
Yeah, I saw that Midnite but still no go.  I typed in the password - which is the same that I use to get into the forum, so I thought.  But I still could not get in. I accept quite willingly I am the one who is probably not doing something right. I just don't know what. :-[

I'm sorry, Nancy, but I think I'm not understanding cuz I don't know what you mean by not getting in.  You opened your profile using the link on the horizontal menu, entered your password near the top, changed what you wanted to change and then clicked "Change profile", right?  If so, since I'm not seeing any error are you sure you weren't successful?

Nancy

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2003, 05:08:45 AM »
Well, I got it to work now. Hopefully my fingers will share with my brain what it was they must have done differently. But my fingers won't talk to a stranger! ;)  Thanks for your help.

Nancy

I'm sorry, Nancy, but I think I'm not understanding cuz I don't know what you mean by not getting in.  You opened your profile using the link on the horizontal menu, entered your password near the top, changed what you wanted to change and then clicked "Change profile", right?  If so, since I'm not seeing any error are you sure you weren't successful?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2003, 07:50:25 AM »
Well, I got it to work now. Hopefully my fingers will share with my brain what it was they must have done differently. But my fingers won't talk to a stranger! ;)  Thanks for your help.

LOL, you're welcome.