Author Topic: Christmas festivals in Collinsport  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas festivals in Collinsport
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 05:09:03 AM »
Ah, Christmas and Dark Shadows!  I too would have loved it if Christmas had been worked into a yearly episode.  As I write this, something is tugging at my memory that I dimly recall having been mentioned on the forum way back when ... something about Dan Curtis having written or produced a Christmas episode for the show?  Whatever can I be thinking of, I wonder ...

At any rate, I recall Christmas being mentioned only once, back during the B&W episodes when Victoria Winters was still at Collinwood.  I think Carolyn walks into the drawing room and says something about her and David doing Christmas shopping in Bangor.

I'd like to have seen the Collins family in the present day singing carols around the Christmas tree and sipping wassail (or glogg - or something that warms one up!).  No doubt singing carols would be a bittersweet experience for Barnabas, thinking back to his relatively untroubled life before 1795, spending Christmas with his parents and little sister.  I wonder what sort of facial expressions Angelique or Cassandra would have worn while singing carols?  "God rest ye merry gentlemen ... "

[ChristmaS15]

The only other Christmas reference I remember that made it on air is that at the end of one of the episodes (I just saw this on one of my tapes), I think just before the arrival of Laura (the Phoenix) in Collinsport, during the closing credits the announcer says something to the effect that "The producers and staff of Dark Shadows wish you and your family a very happy holiday season."  I wonder if they did that each year?  I thought it was a nice touch.  Note, too, in light of some recent political controversy (some would say a tempest in a teapot) that this was nearly forty years ago, and the greeting was for a happy "holiday season" - gasp! - NOT "we wish you a Merry Christmas".  Was DS ahead of its time?

I like Rainey's reminder about the old English tradition of reading ghost stories at Christmas.  Having no British Isles heritage myself, this is not something I ever experienced, but it sounds delightful.  (Though, come to think of it, I did read "A Christmas Carol" every Christmas Eve from about the ages of 11 to 17).  I have gotten into the ghostly spirit this year, rather by chance, when I re-read H.P. Lovecraft's story "The Festival," which is set in a New England village at Yuletide.  Very creepy!
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005, 05:51:06 AM »
If you haven't checked this out yet, "YOU MUST!"

It's brilliant -

http://members.aol.com/abarnabas/dsxmas.html
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2005, 06:58:58 AM »
As I write this, something is tugging at my memory that I dimly recall having been mentioned on the forum way back when ... something about Dan Curtis having written or produced a Christmas episode for the show?  Whatever can I be thinking of, I wonder ...
It was when the Museum of TV & Radio honored DS, I believe.  Dan Curtis mentioned that he'd always wanted to set aside some time around the holidays to do a DS storyline based on A Christmas Carol.  As I recall, the actors seemled relieved that he hadn't done it.

ProfStokes

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2005, 03:42:29 PM »
If you haven't checked this out yet, "YOU MUST!"

It's brilliant -

http://members.aol.com/abarnabas/dsxmas.html

This was obviously created by a sick, twisted individual!  I LOVE IT!!!  Bawahaaa.............. [santa_evil]

P.S. Love the "must" reference!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2005, 05:03:57 PM »
What the hell are all those things popping in and out of the screen?  One is Q's head spinning around for some reason.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline JosettesMusicBox

• Full Poster
  • JosettesMusicBox
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2005, 05:15:49 PM »
Yeah, I know what you mean...

Did you catch the quick flash of a box of Vivran?  [8_2_74]

AND, the baby's head??? What's up with that???

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2005, 03:13:24 AM »
Attached images require the permission of the copyright owner.  Thanks!

Offline JosettesMusicBox

• Full Poster
  • JosettesMusicBox
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2005, 03:38:58 AM »
OK - no problem. Thanks Midnite for letting me know.

I have sent an email to the owner of the website requesting permission to use that screenshot.  I will post back when I have a response.

I'm new to webposting and I didn't think twice about the screenshot.  Thanks for keeping me on the right track!

~ JosettesMusicBox ~   [santa_smiley]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2005, 03:54:25 AM »
You're welcome.  Ordinarily I ask before deleting, but a very similar situation came up recently with the same webmaster, who promptly responded, and from China no less!  Anyway, the good news is that the link to the XMas Eve ep is on this page, and the gif is available for all fans to view.  I recommend all of Abarnabas' Stick Figure episodes, btw. 

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2005, 08:56:02 AM »
As I write this, something is tugging at my memory that I dimly recall having been mentioned on the forum way back when ... something about Dan Curtis having written or produced a Christmas episode for the show?  Whatever can I be thinking of, I wonder ...
It was when the Museum of TV & Radio honored DS, I believe.  Dan Curtis mentioned that he'd always wanted to set aside some time around the holidays to do a DS storyline based on A Christmas Carol.  As I recall, the actors seemled relieved that he hadn't done it.

Thank you, ProfStokes!

I was wracking my brain after posting that and sometime later it came to me, though what I seemed to remember was slightly different.  What I thought had been posted (by MB?) was that Curtis wanted to actually do a production of "A Christmas Carol" with the DS cast that would air in DS's time slot one afternoon.  In followup comments to the post, I thought that people speculated on which actor would have played which part - but my memory on this could be faulty.

[a_xmas]

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2005, 12:12:28 PM »
The only other Christmas reference I remember that made it on air is that at the end of one of the episodes (I just saw this on one of my tapes), I think just before the arrival of Laura (the Phoenix) in Collinsport, during the closing credits the announcer says something to the effect that "The producers and staff of Dark Shadows wish you and your family a very happy holiday season."

What episode number was this?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2005, 06:16:45 PM »
What I thought had been posted (by MB?) was that Curtis wanted to actually do a production of "A Christmas Carol" with the DS cast that would air in DS's time slot one afternoon.  In followup comments to the post, I thought that people speculated on which actor would have played which part - but my memory on this could be faulty.

That wasn't me - but a quick search of the forum reveals that it was ClaudeNorth:

Just read the transcript of the webchat with Dan Curtis and I was blown away by his having wanted to present a production of A CHRISTMAS CAROL using the DS castmembers during the series' original run.  That would have been incredible.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2005, 11:17:25 PM »
How about an It's a Wonderful Life, where one of the Trasks is shown what the world would have been like if he'd never been born.......?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2005, 09:02:22 AM »
It was fascinating to read through the old thread, not only for the content but also seeing familiar names of posters who are no longer active on this forum.

I had thought this conversation took place several years ago on the old VantageNet board, so I hadn't made an effort to search for it.  Thanks, MB (and also for the link to the videoclip of Alec Newman in the other thread).

Retzev, I'm sorry but I can't help you out with the episode number, though I am curious about it myself.  I don't have any of my complete tapes with me where I have carefully recorded all the episode numbers.  This was just a blank tape on which I recorded some episodes during the last SciFi run because my complete set was already stored away.  And I'm afraid I won't have time to go through the tape now to even give you a description of which episode this was because I am getting ready to leave town for a week.

Happy holidays to one and all!

-Vlad

[ChristmaS15]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2005, 09:30:38 AM »
OK, I had to come back here just to say that I read through the transcript of the online interview with Dan Curtis where he talks about doing "A Christmas Carol."  I don't remember having read it before, although Prof Stokes provided the link in the old thread (which MB has provided a link to in this thread).  I do prefer one of our forum member's casting suggestions though, i.e. David Selby as Scrooge's nephew (rather than DC's choice - Roger Davis).

I also thought Mr. Curtis's comment on his never having known Vicki's history was quite interesting in light of all the speculations we've had online.  I never knew he had said this.

-Vlad

[ChristmaS0]