Author Topic: How did you take it?  (Read 2626 times)

hooked

How did you take it?
« on: May 28, 2002, 04:57:18 AM »
I would be interested to read how all of you took it when the show ended.  I did not know it was going to happen and when it did it really took me by surprise.  I didnt know what to do.  I was only 11 then and was totally wrapped up in the show which I had only started watching in 5th grade 1970.  Was it known to viewers that this was to happen or was it a surprise to everyone.  Let me know please.  I always enjoy reading posts from you "older" kids.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Re: How did you take it?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2002, 07:19:25 AM »
I found out DS was ending for good about a day before the final episode, if I remember right. I was not pleased. As in "let's scream and holler and throw things" not pleased.

Seems like DS ended on a Friday. I tuned in on Monday to see if it was just somebody's idea of a bad joke. Alas, DS was really gone and Password was showing.

I finally quit screaming, hollering, and throwing things a few days ago.

[shadow=purple,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2002, 07:33:34 AM »
I was only about 9 years old when it was cancelled but I was still upset over it. I remember coming home from school and seeing my two older sisters all upset in a rage about the show not coming on anymore. At first, we all couldn't believe it so we waited until the following Monday to see if it was true. When we saw Password on instead we fit to be tied! Until this day, I still hate that darn show! >:(
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2002, 07:49:35 AM »
ooooooo so THAT'S what everyone has against PW....I'll never watch it again! *xes heart and kisses elbows* I like Match Game better anyway  ;) I liked when DS ended cuz then the next day it started all over again and I got 2 c Carolyn and Joe doing some fuuuuuunnnyyyyy dancing @ the Blue Whale. HAHAHA! Did people really dance like that?? HEHE! ^^ But the 1841PT wasn't my fav TL, so I didn't mind it starting over!!! I was exciiiited! HAHAH but the question wasn't even addressed to me!! I would cry for a long time if Sci-Fi pulled the show. Like Mark, I'd throw stuff. Heavy, blunt objects, even. I don't think I'd be able to take it. It would be like REVENGE AGAINST SCI FI.....I'm still not over UPN20 for pulling Charlie's Angels. Yeah yeah, they CLAIM they had no more rights to run it, but IIIIIII know the truth!!!!

*sigh* I have such problems......LMAO 8)
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2002, 03:21:11 PM »
Not Well >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2002, 04:07:41 PM »
Like everyone else, I was heartbroken.  I didn't believe it, so, like everyone else, I turned it on Monday, and there was Alan and Betty White yucking it up.  I can never look at Betty White, Alans dead, without thinking......"Yeah, you took DS away."...How did I take it???  Not well.  Not well at all. :'(
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2002, 05:41:22 PM »
Yes, I remember that, too.  Do you all remember that last episode? The last scene where they carry Caroline into the house saying that it looks as though she's been bitten by an "animal"?  Then there was a voiceover saying something like - "and in this case it really was an animal" - or some such stuff.  I got excited when they first carried her in - thinking that perhaps it had been a mistake and they really weren't going to take it off.  I tuned in on Monday also, only to see PW.

Sigh......

Franimal

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2002, 06:34:20 PM »
Sorry to say that I don't remember DS going off the air. I was working full time back then--no VCR's--and trying to make real life decisions about whether to stay in my
job, quit, or go to nursing school. I had also started to date my husband and wasn't sure how he'd handle the fact that I wanted to go to school near NYC.

I ultimately quit my job, went to nursing school and dated my future husband on weekends when I came home. Sad to say but DS got lost in the shuffle of life until Sci-fi starting showing it again.

I have now seen DS from start to finish two times over and I discover something new everytime I see it.

Carol
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2002, 09:55:20 PM »
I was still in grade school when DS was cancelled in 1971, but I had watched it during the summer months and I was disappointed to learn it was going off the air. I had seen the 1970 PT story line and the beginning of the 1840 story line before I went back to school in the fall of 1970.

In the late 70's the first syndicated package of DS episodes aired in my area locally. This package began with the arrival of Barnabas and ended at the end of the 1795 story line. I finally had a chance to re-discover the show from the beginning (almost) and I even joined a mailing list fan club/newsletter, in which I learned the syndicated episodes would end once Vicki returned to 1967. At that point I was enormously disappointed. Later I moved to another state and saw the same syndication package again, only to be disappointed all over again when it ended after 1795.

Thank God for the Sci Fi channel or I would have never seen the rest of the series! (Don't have the resources to buy all 1200 eps on tape.)

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2002, 10:24:38 PM »
I can't remember how I found out Dark Shadows was ending, but I did know ahead of time.  Still, watching that last show, there was a part of me that  really didn't believe it until the final scene.  It left me with a big empty feeling, that stayed with me for a long time.  I also remember being disappointed that we didn't get a final look at the present day characters.  :(

Of course, at the time there was no way of knowing that more than thirty years later, the show would still be so popular, and that we would still be able to watch it in syndication or on video.  Like Carol, I still discover something new, no matter how many times I view the episodes!  :)

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2002, 02:51:46 AM »
I was 11yrs old when it went off the air and can't really remember how I felt but I'm sure I was very sad :'(  I do remember having a mad crush on Chad Everett around that age so I guess I got over it. :-*
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2002, 03:52:22 AM »
Ummmm, I don't remember either. I don't think I was watching at the time. I was rather fickle. I do remember Daphne and she was rather late in the series, so I'm really not sure.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2002, 04:14:23 AM »
I would be interested to read how all of you took it when the show ended.  

IIRC, my viewing of the series in its final days had become kind of haphazard, so I had no idea it was the "final days" until the LAST day.  I think I saw an advertisement for Password that day and was horrified, and hoping fervently, until the very last moments, that someone had made a mistake.  I guess I just thought that DS, good or bad, and like most soap operas, would always be there...if nothing else, I learned the dangers of taking something for granted. <sniff!> :'(  

I tuned in the next day, just to make certain, and sure enough, there was Password -- I remember just loathing Alan Ludden from the first minute he opened his mouth, and was so ticked off about his show being the replacement that I NEVER watched it until it surfaced in reruns years later on the Game Show Network. :)

Cheers,

Linda

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2002, 07:24:43 AM »

When Dark Shadows ended in 1971, I was only in the second grade. All I remember is my Mom, brother, and I were very disappointed that the show went off the air. I don't think we ever expected to see it again. I remember seeing some of the black and white eps in 1977. VCR's had just come out around then, but we didn't have one. Having all of the MPI videos now makes up for it. Daphne, I like Match Game too. I used to watch it in 1974 when I was 10. I was pretty good at guessing the answers too!  ;)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2002, 09:32:18 PM »

All I remember is my Mom, brother, and I were very disappointed that the show went off the air. I don't think we ever expected to see it again.

Same here Cheryl. Thank God for VCR's!! :)
"Calamity Jane"