Author Topic: Horror of Dracula on 9am 5/25 sci-fi  (Read 681 times)

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Horror of Dracula on 9am 5/25 sci-fi
« on: May 25, 2002, 04:03:42 PM »
Hey if anyone is online right now ( 9am eastern time 5/25/02) there is a great Dracula movie on sci-fi as we speak. Sorry for the late notice, I just turned it on myself.
Teresa :o
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Horror of Dracula on 9am 5/25 sci-fi
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2002, 03:38:00 AM »
That is one of my most favorite adaptations of Stoker's Dracula.  Here's an interesting trivia tidbit.  In America, the Hammer classic had the title "The Horror of Dracula", but in England, where it was made, it had the simple title of "Dracula".  That had to do with copyright laws, as the Stoker family still retains the rights to the title.  For some reason, "Dracula" could be used in England, but not in America.  That's why the Coppola version was called "Bram Stoker's Dracula".  Once again, it woud've violated copyright law to just call it "Dracula".  I think, but I'm not sure, that the reason why Lugosi's "Dracula" was able to get away with it was because Universal technically did a filmed version of the stage play (which had permission to use the title), not the novel (the same with the Frank Langella version).

Gerard

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Horror of Dracula on 9am 5/25 sci-fi
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2002, 07:20:03 AM »
 In America, the Hammer classic had the title "The Horror of Dracula", but in England, where it was made, it had the simple title of "Dracula".  That had to do with copyright laws, as the Stoker family still retains the rights to the title.  For some reason, "Dracula" could be used in England, but not in America.  That's why the Coppola version was called "Bram Stoker's Dracula".  Once again, it woud've violated copyright law to just call it "Dracula".  I think, but I'm not sure, that the reason why Lugosi's "Dracula" was able to get away with it was because Universal technically did a filmed version of the stage play (which had permission to use the title), not the novel (the same with the Frank Langella version).

How interesting!  Thank you for sharing that, Gerard.

ProfStokes