Author Topic: My Dream Collinwood (or would we really want "purely American" 1790s architecture?)  (Read 11795 times)

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
I've never spotted one myself, but I seem to remember someone saying that some are visible from Joe's boat whenever it appears.  My concern about California was the very bright sunshine that appeared on occasion, something which no amount of atmospheric mist could cover up.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Oh, yes, those palm trees are there.  I don't know why, but they just drove me crazy.  They're clearly visible when Joe is pulling his boat out of the harbor; those are burned into my memory, and I think there are others as well, including small, in-planters varieties of palms outdoors at Collinwood.  Brian DePalma's 1976 Carrie, likewise set in Maine, was also filmed in California, and one can spot the occasional palm tree rising up in the background.

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
What I'd like to ask is....why wasn't New York City considered the right place to produce the new Dark Shadows?  It WAS originally a NYC production.

The Gold Coast of Long Island surely could have produced at least one mansion to provide exteriors....Oheka Castle comes to mind...being a Norman/French Chateau design, like Seaview, only larger....and there wouldn't be a palm tree in sight!!
(I tried for half an hour to get one of the Oheka sites to display but I couldn't....)

And with 1100 miles of coastline, I'm sure SOME local village could stand in for Collinsport.

And needless to say, there would be no paucity of talent, technical expertise, or studio space.

Except for the convenience of the major players who all live in Los Angeles, what is there that makes LA a better choice?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
They're clearly visible when Joe is pulling his boat out of the harbor

Thank you!  I'll have to watch for that.  With Michael T. Weiss on the screen, I'm surprised I even recognized San Pedro much less notice any trees.  Thanks again.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
Ok, here is a small palm tree that I found in my pictures from last year's picnic on the 1991 Collinwood set "Greystone."  It's to the right behind the gate.  But it's not tall enough really to cause too much trouble.  Most of the property appears to be lined with oaks trees (native to California) and Eucalyptus trees (native to Australia-imported because they don't burn too easily).  Many colorful birds also reside there.

By the way, there is a creepy story attached to this house.  The original owner was Edward Doheny, oil tycoon.  Edward Doheny was involved with bribery charges in the infamous Teapot Dome scandal, and his son's life ended in a bizarre murder-suicide at the home.   Some say it's haunted.

Eventually, the property was willed to the City of Beverly Hills.  It's used in many films and TV shows. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Ok, here is a small palm tree that I found in my pictures from last year's picnic on the 1991 Collinwood set "Greystone."  It's to the right behind the gate.  But it's not tall enough really to cause too much trouble.

Very interesting, vw. I wonder how long that palm has been there? And the reason I wonder is because in the film/tv industry, Greystone had always advertsed itself as one of the very few Southern California locations without any palm trees on its grounds - and thus a perfect location to fill in for places like New England and even England.

Back in the '70s (those ancient times before the Internet  ;)) when I subscribed to Daily Vartiety (as opposed to simply being able to access both the NY and LA versions from their Web site  :)) I read an article extolling the great locations Southern California offers, and Greystone was one of them. After Greystone was announced as the '91 series "Collinwood," I dug up/shared the article with a few of the DS fanzines. I don't know if any of them ever published the Greystone excerpts from it (because, except for SG, I let all my DS fanzine subsciptions expire shortly thereafter (a too long, too boring, and too OT story to go into here)), but If I can dig the article up again (which I'm sure I can), I'll post it here...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Variety Article
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2004, 02:42:07 AM »
What I'd like to ask is....why wasn't New York City considered the right place to produce the new Dark Shadows?  It WAS originally a NYC production.

I think this article might go a long way in explaining that, which is why I've decided to share more of it than just the Greystone excerpt. The article may be from 1975, but very little has changed so far as the industry is concerned.

Daily Variety: 42nd Anniversary Issue - October 28, 1975

'A Rock Is A Rock. A Tree Is A Tree. Shoot It In Griffith Park' -- Stern Brothers.
The World In Hollywood's Backyard by Tony Scott

If the leaves rocks and buildings of Southern California could be organized into a union, they'd doubtlessly form the largest and hardest working labor organization in the motion picture industry. Some of them have been employed since the infant days of the business; others are still trying out as apprentices -- and more are yet to be discovered.
Taken as a whole, the location facilities in the environs of Hollywood are unmatched in the world -- because they are the world. Within instant reach are Europe, Africa, the Orient and the South Pacific. Timelocks open and close on both the past and future. World War II is preserved in the tower and swastika-side planes on Van Nuys Airport. The dismal future of "Soylent Green" turns up in the Hyperion sewers.
They exist for make-believe and romance. Yet they are depended upon by filmakers for their most base, fundamental and practical values. Griffith Park may be a cliche by now. But when the script for "I Will, I Will ... For Now" called for a wooded wedding scene in a Georgetown park, good old Griffith Park stood in and nobody but the gardeners will know the difference.
With a renewed emphasis on soundstage shooting, the proximity of nearby location sites has also assumed fresh importance. When "The Sunshine Boys" determined to re-create New York City on the MGM lot, the crew stayed as close to home as possible for as many shots as possible -- and L.A. City Hall becomes a Gotham hospital.
To be sure, feature film directors will venture many miles in search of authenticty, a fresh look -- or to escape the constant watch of the front office. But even a distant project like "Jaws" comes home to Universal eventually for postproduction and finds that Catalina Island is handy for additional shooting.
While the heftier budgets of theatrical releases may provide more freedom for the restless, the grind of tv production is almost totally dependent on the diversity of Southern California. Fortunately, the small screen allows directors to stretch small budgets in ingenious ways. And despite the fact that a dozen or motre tv crews may be shooting locally on any given day, they continue to surprise themselves in finding new looks in old surroundings. Like a musician restricted to 88 piano keys, they nonetheless find new variations on many themes -- and sometimes an entirely new creation.
Except for a few establishing shots, the streets of San Francisco in "Ironside" were the streets of L.A. Change a few license plates and keep the cameras off the tops of buildings and "Kojak" transforms L.A. into N.Y. Like the trees of Griffith Park, a skyscraper door looks the same the world over.
In tv, travel usually equals peril. For its opening season, Warner Brother picked San Diego as the home base for "Harry O." Not Rome or London or Pago Pago, just San Diego, a relatively short distance down the freeway. But within the reaches of the Screen Extras Guild. So on top of the $140 per extra for a day's filming, the company had to pay transportation the day before, a hotel for the night, meals, a second day's pay, and possibly a second night's lodging.
Speaking of the experiment, "Harry O" exec producer Jerry Thorpe notes, "San Diego is a terribly photogenic city. But it is prohobitive financially. In fact, it is prohibitive to work on distant locations. It is very expensive working away, with labor problems, casting problems." In short, "Harry O" hurried home to Hollywood.
Universal TV prez Frank Price added another reason: "When we go off to distant locations, what happens so often is that last-minute polishing on the script is eliminated. Another thing, too, you're reduced to using cast members from that location, and you haven't the control. You have to take your principals, which presents another set of problems."
George Santori, Universal v.p., notes also that not having enough money in the budget to be able to afford those far locations can be a blessing, since no decision has to be made and the director, or creator, must work out his film on the conditions imposed by local locationing and backlot shooting.
Anyway, Santori says, "There is nothing you can't duplicate here except big cities like Paris and London. You can't get long shots of places like that, or Big Ben, or the Champs-Elysees with your people on the sidewalks."
Scenes are secondary to people, Price insists, echoing an additional management fear that "directors have a tendency , if they reach such places, to shoot postcards."
The cautious producer insists the same postcard can be created without the cost of the postmark. The at-hand locale, assisted by the marvels of modern film technology, mattes, processing and camera "cheating" can bring worlds to the screen without travelling great distances. With perseverance, indulgence, imagination, faith, stock film, confidence, ingenuity, experience and luck, producers find that Hollywood still serves as much as it did in the 1920s when MGM's "Ben Hur" returned from dallying in Rome and Egypt and got down to business in a colseum constructed in a vacant lot at La Cienega and Venice Blvd.
"In television, when you're dealing with such a little screen, you don't need a vista. Mostly you use a closeup or a two-shot -- you don't have to have 360 degrees of scope. ..."
Southern California offers a seemingly inexhaustible supply of homes -- old and new -- for film use. Typical is Greystone Manor, part of Greystone Park and onetime Doheny estate lying above Sunset Blvd. in Beverly Hills. Now the berth of the American Film Institute, Greystone offers an opulent appearance for exteriors and interiors.
One of its chief assets, unusual for its Southern California locale, is the total absence of palm trees on its 18 1/2 acres, making the Manor a likely stand-in for luxurious European residences. Originally constructed from 1925 to 1928, the house cost $4,000,000 and would require almost $20,000,000 to duplicate today. [/b][MB note: that was in 1975 - just think of what it would cost to build now!]
The interior, which the Beverly Hills Chamber of Commerce Visitors' Bureau is helping to refurbish and refurnish by conducting weekend tours, has 55 rooms and includes marble floors, hand-carved stairways and handrails, and rare woods which studio technicians would find impossible to duplicate.
The forecourt, which has been used for innumerable commercials, particularly automobiles, is sturdy and in keeping with the rest of the Tudor edifice. An episode of "Columbo," which went to England last year for exteriors, used Greystone for many interior shots.
A part of the Beverly Hills Park Dept., the handsome structure and grounds are available with a permit at all times for filmmakers. A split-fee arrangement between Beverly Hills and Greystone can be arranged, and the interior of the mansion must be returned to its original condition by the filmmakers.
Formal gardens, a swimming pool, wooded areas, orchards, lawns and walkways offer superb scenery for films requiring luxurious settings. A minimum of telephone poles and only a single, albeit enormous, television antenna rests on the roof of the manor.
Greystone is accessible, and its unique appearance suggests faraway places with sweet sounding names. "We did 'The Woman I Love' locally, and that had an extremely good look," says Universal's Frank Price.
Despite the difficulties involved in filming the exterior -- the trees and foliage are all but impenetrable for the lens, so the magnitude and the handsome architecural advantages of the house are lost behind the greenery -- there are good vistas and excellent interiors useful to the creator who seeks European elegance on the palace level.

Even after the '91 DS was canceled, I'd videotaped several of Greystone's "appearances" because I was (still am) fascinated by its architectural design. Two of the last that feature shots of the gatehouse/driveway were a '92 commercial (that I happened to get while taping something entirely different) for the '93 Infiniti J30 and the ABC Made for TV movie, "My Brother's Wife," from '93. I just checked the tapes, and the palm in vw's photo is nowhere in evidence - though it's certainly possible that it was there but was simply too small.  ;)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
I'm afraid I don't agree with you that little has changed since this article was written.  Americans have traveled so widely in the last 30 years that there can't be many folks left who couldn't tell you when a scene was really shot in Europe and when it was shot in "Griffith Park" as the saying goes.

For the same reason, do you really think anyone would produce something like "Law and Order" anywhere other than New York City itself?  Obviously, it mattered to the creators that  the City should be a character in the story.  How else could you do that, except to actually shoot IN THE STREETS, with traffic being detoured around the actors?...you couldn't possibly re-create that anywhere else and not have the audience catch on.

On the other hand, computer generated images have become so ubiquitous that not only do we not expect the places to really be where they imply....we don't even expect them to be real at all.  And in that case, does it matter if the computers are in California, New York, or Ohio?

T.V. series are shot in LA out of complacency......it's easy, it's convenient, everything is already in place, the whole town exists for the purpose of producing T.V. shows and movies.   Why re-invent the wheel?...why complicate the process?...why risk spending more money than you need to?

And they wonder why it's so difficult to get an audience fired up about new shows..... ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
WOW!  Who knew there was such a house in Akron?  I'm from Dayton (originally--and long ago) and have been through Akron a few times--never guessing that "Collinwood" might exist in Ohio.

Great pics, too.

Now, just for trivia (and I don't feel like looking through all my DS-related books--someone else may know) somewhere, sometime I recall reading that Sam Hall's family was from Ohio, and I think it was Akron.  Yes? No?   ::)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
do you really think anyone would produce something like "Law and Order" anywhere other than New York City itself?  Obviously, it mattered to the creators that  the City should be a character in the story.  How else could you do that, except to actually shoot IN THE STREETS, with traffic being detoured around the actors?

You're absolutely right that NYC is a character in Law and Order and such an intergral part of the show that it probablty couldn't be shot elsewhere. However...

you couldn't possibly re-create that anywhere else and not have the audience catch on.

...I don't necessarily know about that. Yes, NYPD Blue does *some* location shooting in NYC, but for the most part it's shot in LA - some of it's even shot on a backlot - and I don't think most fans of that show think it's any less authentic than if the series was completely shot in NY. I know not actually being shot in Boston, a city I'm very familiar with, hasn't in any way diminished my enjoyment of shows like The Practice or Crossing Jordan.

But really, that wasn't the point I was trying to make about why most shows are shot in LA rather than on location. The choice often has much more to do with the behind the scenes issues like budget, cast, union rules, or simply the fact that the producer and/or studio wants it that way. In a perfect world, every series would and could be shot where it's actually supposed to take place. But for the most part, that simply isn't as feasible as we might think...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
WOW!  Who knew there was such a house in Akron?  I'm from Dayton (originally--and long ago) and have been through Akron a few times--never guessing that "Collinwood" might exist in Ohio.

OK - now I'm really jealous that you might actually get to see Stan Hywet Hall in person one day, while the likelihood of my passing anywhere near it is slim to none.  ;)

I recall reading that Sam Hall's family was from Ohio, and I think it was Akron.  Yes? No?   ::)

Ohio - definitely. Akron - he may have lived there at one point; I'm not familiar enough with his life to know for sure; but I believe his family was from Carrollton.

Someone like Gothick can probably supply more detailed info.  ;)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
What do I know from palm trees, but that looks like some type of fern to me - in victoriawinters' picture.
The type you wouldn't see growing outdoors in the east - you need warmth year round.  I don't know.
When I was in LA the foliage seemed a lot different than in the east.  Actually, it seemed like I was on another planet.  (in more ways than one)  [lghy]  Oy.....

Interesting article, MB.  Interesting article, interesting pictures, interesting thread!

[grinb]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I felt sure that the much of the lush foliage (and manicured grounds) as well as the intensity of the direct sunlight contributed to my sense of a California feeling to the 91 series.  VictoriaWinter's mention of eucalyptus trees on the estate, Connie's observance of the ferns, and Stuart's reference to California's sunshine reinforce those impressions.

I also felt that both the exterior and interior sets of Collinwood didn't ring true to the Maine setting but I don't have any more specifics on that other than general impression.

Now, I love California and I don't mean to be hypercritical.   I know the show is a fantasy, but a little more grounding in reality for locations and sets would be a plus for me as a viewer.

Sometimes even on-location shooting doesn't produce the desired result.  For example I was an extra in "Untamed Heart," filmed in Minnesota.  There was a scene that was supposed to be winter when Christian Slater was selling Christmas trees.  I think the producers thought that Minnesota must always be cold and icy, but that scene was filmed in the fall and Slater is clearly sweating in the hot sunlight with his stocking cap.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
The plant in the photo is either a palm or a cycad-- it's hard to say which without seeing more of it-- but it does scream "tropical!"

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
A bit of an aside regarding the use of digitizing effects, etc.

Although the advances in technology have brought many new possibilities to today's filmmaking one does feel a sense of loss in realism too.

That thought comes to mind now because I've been re-watching the 1967 Bondarchuk film of "War and Peace," where attention to detail and realism reached its zenith in a manner that will never be done again.  Filming took five years and in today's costs would be over 1 billion dollars.  Recreate a battle with 120,000 soldiers?  Bondarchek GOT 120,000 Russian soldiers, and every uniform was custom made down to the buttons; real artillery was used, the battle was recreated from the historical records, and filming was on the actual battlefield location.  A bean field was replaced with a wheat field because the original field was a wheat field.

That kind of realism can never be replicated by digitization, FX, what have you.

I know, I know, we're talking TV budgets and so back to the reality of today's TV production ...

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995