Author Topic: so, a few thoughts on The Beginning episodes...and SPOILERS  (Read 7089 times)

Offline scott

• View Profile
so, a few thoughts on The Beginning episodes...and SPOILERS
« on: August 31, 2007, 12:44:29 PM »
First off, I never saw these as a kid. I was 6 in 1966...I think we started watching in 1968. But I did catch them on the SciFi channel years ago and loved them. How cool to finally have them on DVD!

The first thing that strikes me runs counter to a major DS myth--that the supernatural element only appeared later in the show and at first it was a regular soap. In reality, within just the first 3 eps we already have some pretty heavy hints that Collinwood is haunted ("The House of Usher," "BOO!", "a mausoleum," etc.). Burke also says something along these lines in Ep. 1...anyway, along with the amazing Cobert score, it sure feels like a ghost story early on.

Great hint from Carolyn in #2 about Vicky's possible maternal side: just after calling Collinwood a loony bin, she says to Elizabeth "Vicky's mother must be crazy to let her come her." Hmmmm....

(And Carolyn's rather cringe-inducing desription of Roger..."He sends me!" Wow.....)

Love all the atmospheric location shots. And how thrilling to see the first-ever foyer shot...

One question for those of you who are watching the DVDs: do some shots look as if they've been horizontally compressed? At least in the first 3 eps it seems this is the case. Maybe it was just one camera? In any case it looks like people and objects are taller and skinnier than they really are.

Thanks folks...

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
Re: so, a few thoughts on The Beginning episodes...and SPOILERS
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 03:45:56 PM »
Another hint?  Or just going along with the spooky setting...

When Vicki gets off the train (and seeing no taxi), she asks Burke how people are expected to get into Collinsport from the station.  He offers three modes of transportation:  "...broomsticks, unicorns...and chauffeured cars."

They take #3... ;D

Judy
[angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline scott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 04:53:25 PM »
Ah, right...that was the first hint! >:D

Another hint?  Or just going along with the spooky setting...

When Vicki gets off the train (and seeing no taxi), she asks Burke how people are expected to get into Collinsport from the station.  He offers three modes of transportation:  "...broomsticks, unicorns...and chauffeured cars."

They take #3... ;D

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 09:17:15 PM »

Exactly.  Dark Shadows was never like any other daytime serial.  It was unique right off the..um.. bat.  The early shows dripped with cobwebs, atmosphere and potential spooks.  No other daytime serial boasted Joan Bennett or an orchestral terror-film style score.   Sure, we did't get to actually SEE the supernatural for ourselves until a few months in, but the Collinsport locals all knew there was something strange about that house on the hill.

Frankly, I never even refer to DS as a soap because it's so different from a conventional soap opera in many ways.  It's a serialized thriller of sorts; more akin to a televised version of the Victorian penny dreadfuls (if you'll pardon me) than to the standard daytime soap opera.  The terror elements obviously became more and more pronounced (and frenzied) as the series progressed, but they were there from the start.

~ Penny Dreadful
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 09:28:44 PM »
I loved it when Carolyn said that Roger becomes Dracula at midnight!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 01:47:30 AM »
And if you want to know where Dan Curtis got his ideas for DS, watch the old classics. Any old classics. "Rebecca" comes to mind, "The Uninvited", and any Universal horror picture ever made - with the exception of "The Creature from the Black Lagoon". I don't see any tie ins there...
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 02:28:27 AM »
And if you want to know where Dan Curtis got his ideas for DS, watch the old classics. Any old classics. "Rebecca" comes to mind, "The Uninvited", and any Universal horror picture ever made - with the exception of "The Creature from the Black Lagoon". I don't see any tie ins there...

I'm not so sure Janet. Jeb as the monster sounds very much like The Creature of
the Black Lagoon. lol

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 03:30:33 AM »
Yeah. Well, we won't go there. EW!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 03:25:57 PM »
I like the early episodes. I tried to watch them before when they were on SciFi but I just couldn't get into them. Now for some reason it's easier for me to do so. Maybe it's because I want to watch them all.

What I really enjoy about them is that they seem a lot less frenzied than the later episodes. These early eps just mosey along at their own speed. They don't have Julia going "OOOOOHHHHHHH Bar-NA-bas" at the end of every episodes and flailing her arms about. They end just as simply as they started.

Not to mention that the camera work is far more calculated, at least in the first three episodes. The camera angles are just beautiful, and they show Collinwood in an unfamiliar aspect, which, after having seen the other 1000 episodes, is really saying something. The writing is stellar, no problems there. And the black and white of it all just sets the entire thing into another atmosphere, above the general spookiness.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 11:51:55 PM »
I just started rewatching these today. I didn't originally watch the show until Barnabas brought it to great popularity, but I had caught them on SciFi several years ago and loved them. I agree the pace, the outdoor shots, so many elements bring a grace not found later on. And you don't get the kitchen or dining area later on, for some reason I adore those sets. I guess it makes Collinwood a home instead of just a grand mansion.

What is REALLY striking me is the superb casting and interplay between the characters. The actors flow right into their parts from the first that they appear. Of course, we all know Joan Bennett WAS a grand lady and couldn't have been any more perfect, she is the consummate professional. But the young girls really are too, it seems a high standard given the taping conditions. Carolyn IS a spoiled brat of a rich girl who is lonely, but trapped there by her love for her mother. Her first scenes with Victoria ring so true. Nancy Barrett, Alexandra Moltke, Joan Bennett and Louis Edmonds all act so seemingly natural. If Alexandra was nervous it disappeared into the character's apprehension and worked beautifully. David Henesy just as much so as the others, and that is remarkable given his age and what I've seen of other child actors that make you spit up in your mouth a little.

This is the only soap opera I ever watched for myself. But I do remember my grandmother watching soaps and it would have been the same time period as the first DS episodes. I remember hokey overacting and even as a child it all seemed stupid and over the top. I'm not getting that here, at least not with the main characters.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline scott

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 01:12:59 PM »
I'm on episode 10 now and am realizing that the constant references to ghosts, goblins, hauntings, etc. are a metaphor for the troubled Collins family AND a suggestion that the house might actually be haunted. I'm loving the psychological complexity of the characters, esp. David and Carolyn...David is amazing. Alexandra Moltke was so beautiful...unconventionally so, thus all the more beautiful. There are relatively few characters at this stage, so everyone has LOTS of dialogue...and yet very few flubs.

Great stuff all around.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 05:08:14 PM »
I got the first volume the other day and I'm on like episode 16. It's very awesome stuff! In fact, I don't own any of the Barnabas episodes. I'm waiting til I've finished collecting the beginnings so I can watch it truly from start to finish.

A question about one of the episodes:

SPOILER:

Liz is playing the piano and Vicky walks in, hears Liz playing the piano. She walks in just in time to see Liz stop playing and slump her head down on the keys. After seeing that, Vicky leaves and goes upstairs. So what just happened there???

Offline scott

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 05:47:53 PM »
Spoiler:
Liz is playing the piano and Vicky walks in, hears Liz playing the piano. She walks in just in time to see Liz stop playing and slump her head down on the keys. After seeing that, Vicky leaves and goes upstairs. So what just happened there???

I think we're getting another example of Elizabeth's depression--her hopelessness and sense of futility. Nicky is embarrassed (or freaked out!) and leaves...good insight into both characters. Good scene...but yeah, it was pretty strange.

Aound ep 10--right at the end, did you notice the door at the top of the stairs (on the left) closing--twice? Was that a mistake or was it a hint--like the broken cup, the knocking, etc.--that Davis is sneaking around?

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 07:36:17 PM »
The kitchen scenes were a joy and very well lit to give Roger, Carolyn, David, and  Victoria some much needed brightness.....and the scenes from Burkes Collinsport Inn suite also added some cheeriness to the other sometimes very dark sets. >:D
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 09:07:38 PM »

I think we're getting another example of Elizabeth's depression--her hopelessness and sense of futility. Nicky is embarrassed (or freaked out!) and leaves...good insight into both characters. Good scene...but yeah, it was pretty strange.

Aound ep 10--right at the end, did you notice the door at the top of the stairs (on the left) closing--twice? Was that a mistake or was it a hint--like the broken cup, the knocking, etc.--that Davis is sneaking around?

That makes a whole lot of sense. Thanks for clearing that up. She was also playing a piece by Chopin (one he composed during his depression years) so I should have figured that out. hehe

David really is a troubled child in these episodes--more frightening here than any of the times he was possessed by some ghost or demon IMO. I love these early episodes.