Author Topic: A Dark Shadows Cruise? / merged /w DS cruise update  (Read 9180 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
A Dark Shadows Cruise? / merged /w DS cruise update
« on: August 30, 2007, 09:05:58 PM »
Some friends and I were talking the other day and the idea came up for a Dark Shadows Cruise. It would be a three day festival / cruise to Martinique. We also talked about including one of those "mystery weekends" where someone is "killed" and the guest have to find clues to discover who/what the killer is. Of course it would have to have a Dark Shadows twist.

I decided to e-mail the idea to Pansy Faye at the festival. I suggested it for the 2009 or 2010 festival. So what do you think? Is it something you all would want to do?
May you die before you want too.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Re: A Dark Shadows Cruise?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 09:20:29 PM »
I just wanted to add that if you include the price of rooms, the festival and travel the coast of a 3 day cruise could be less per person than a regular fest. :)
May you die before you want too.

David

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 09:29:17 PM »
 :D

This has been done before, and should be done again!

In 1988, I and about 20 other fans joined Diana Millay for a three week tour of Egypt.
It was an amazing trip!

J Frid led a cruise in the early 90s, and Diana led another cruise a few years ago.

David

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 09:40:03 PM »
Wow! I had no idea there had been anything like that happening...I came back to the fold in the mid/late 90's so apparently  I missed hearing about a lot of good stuff.  I'll bet you had a blast.  Martinique would be great - I know I'd try to make it if at all possible.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 10:22:52 PM »
I'd go in a second!  My two obsessions are Dark Shadows and passenger ships (I'm a very good historian about them).  To combine both into one would be a dream ome true!  Ironically, my first, and so far one-and-only attendance at a Festival was the 2003 one right after docking in NYC at the end of a cruise to Bermuda.  We went straight from the ship to the hotel in Brooklyn.

My last time on a ship was on the Queen Mary 2 in 2004 during her maiden season - spent a month on board.  I'm already booked for a cruise on the new Queen Victoria next year; she's still being built!  Now that would be the ship for a DS cruise/festival!  Her library is a two-deck affair, both levels connected by a Victorian-style cork-screw staircase.  Imagine the fun we'd have in there!

Gerard

David

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 11:50:13 PM »
 :D

For a trip to Martinique, I wonder if
KL Scott & Lara Parker would consider going?

David

RachelDrummand

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 12:42:08 AM »
OMG this would be soooo cool! I've never been on a ship before either so combing DS with a new adventure? Schweet!

~Rachel

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 01:20:47 AM »
Sounds like fun.  Unfortunately however those in charge of the Festivals lack any sort of imagination (they can't even conceive of the concept of having the Fest in a city other than NY or LA-and this is after THEY initiated a fan survey asking us where WE'D like to go instead  ::)) so don't hold your breath about them hosting it.  It's probably something fans should just do on their own, sorta like Ed Lambese did w/his Halloween partys.  There is a fan who has her own travel agency (at least she did, I'm guessing it's still around) and they specialize in cruises I think.  That might be the place to start and they could no doubt use the business in this 'book online' world.  Her name is Helen Samaras and the company name is Classic Cruises and Tours, it's in Long Island NY.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 02:06:06 AM »
I'll drink to that.
I went on a Star Trek cruise years ago. It was one of the best times of my life. Not only did the actors do thier stints on stage every day, we got to dine with them, snorkle with them, dance with them, and work out with them. It was a lot of fun.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 05:34:38 AM »
I would definitely do this! Taking a cruise of the Caribbean and the Mediterannean is something that's been on my list for a while now. Even without DS stars I'd do it.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 06:20:51 AM »
Been on ships before,  if done in the fall  we would need to stay away from the  hurricanes. . Depending on how big the ship is you can feel them move with the sea.

If we were at sea for 19 days we could see the show back to back episodes.  I know that I am Evil.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 09:02:30 AM »
I would be interested.  Could we get Johnny Depp to take the helm?  And could we have a re-enactment of the yachting accident that was so unfortunate for parallel time Sam Evans?

Offline testokes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 06:31:34 PM »
I always assumed the festivals were held in NY and LA due to the majority of the guests living in those areas (or some owning homes in both places) but some variety would be nice.  While I'm sure they'll never come to New England it does seem unfair that Chicago or Dallas or SOMEWHERE not on the coasts get a fest once.

I do agree that these sorts of conventions did some fresh blood (pun more or less intended) involved in the planning every now and again.

One idea I had was that instead of a skit, the 1988 stage production of the 1795 flashback be recreated with LP and KLS in character. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 06:52:21 PM »
it does seem unfair that Chicago or Dallas or SOMEWHERE not on the coasts get a fest once.

Believe it or not, there was a Fest in Dallas in July of '86.

David

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 12:25:47 AM »
The Dallas '86 Fest had only two guests~~Frid & Terry Crawford.
And Crawford was living in Dallas at the time.

It seems the stars themselves prefer NY or LA.
And some of the stars who live in LA won't go to New York anymore~~and vice versa.

David