Author Topic: HEY...WAKE UP!!  (Read 1580 times)

Connie

HEY...WAKE UP!!
« on: October 05, 2002, 10:55:38 AM »
I know this is none of my business, but would you ditzy cousins (whoever you may be) please go read Midnite's recent request under the Bandwidth Savings Topic at the top of the first page??

Excerpt:
However, I do modify messages for these reasons:  to remove or add spacing, to attribute a quote to its author (especially if the quoted message appears on a different page) or to add quote tags if a quote has nothing to differentiate it from the rest of the text, to remove signatures if they're redundant (maybe this is my hangup, but if the person saying the quote is already listed above the quote, why bother to include it within the quote too?), to repair YaBB codes, and to add spoiler warnings.

So if you can please quickly look over your submitted posts for any faulty code (a smiley that shouldn't be there, a mistyped emoticon, or quote tags that aren't working) or if you see enough blank space to drive a truck through, it would be much appreciated.

I had no IDEA that she goes through and cleans up all the messages on here -- just so they'll be easier to read and decipher.  This is so above and beyond the call of duty it's not even funny.  And apparently not too many people are paying attention 'cause she's now been reduced to begging.  THIS is breaking my heart.  (Sorry - I'm in a depressed mood).

PLEASE go read the message.

-CLC
:'(

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: HEY...WAKE UP!!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2002, 02:57:02 PM »
I agree Connie i haven't read any of those but it's
a great idea people don't realize that that they're
making extra work for one person!!  Well, i'm off
to The West Wing now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                 Love Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2002, 09:51:32 PM »
And apparently not too many people are paying attention 'cause she's now been reduced to begging.

Gee, imagine that...
[wink2]

But seriously, Connie - thanks for trying to call more attention to Midnite's request. [thumb]

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2002, 05:52:00 AM »

Gee, imagine that...
[wink2]

But seriously, Connie - thanks for trying to call more attention to Midnite's request. [thumb]

I collapsed everything I could collapse, I'm not using the emoticons and I hope I'm being careful with the quotes. I really appreciate this forum and I'm willing to do anything I can to eliminate any problems.

I usually post from a Mac but I noticed recently that when I access the site from a Windows PC the windows "slide" to the side for every update. I wonder if some of the problems aren't caused by the site being too graphics intensive with special effects like these, or if maybe that's something the moderators can't control because of the web host.

I'd be perfectly willing to do without some of these effects if that would help. Maybe some of the options could simply be eliminated rather than relying on members to voluntarily scale back?

I recommended this site to an online friend but she was disappointed to learn that no new members could register at this time. I fully support any measures that can be taken to help out.

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2002, 06:38:12 AM »
I have been reading the things myself, and trying my best to do it as well.  I hope I am doing ok, i am not sure however.

jon.
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2002, 06:57:37 AM »
I usually post from a Mac but I noticed recently that when I access the site from a Windows PC the windows "slide" to the side for every update.

Which browser do you use on your Mac? The slide only works if someone is using Microsoft Internet Explorer. It should do the same in IE's Mac version. :)

I wonder if some of the problems aren't caused by the site being too graphics intensive with special effects like these

Bandwidth really isn't an issue when it comes to the slide effect because it's actually processed internally by your computer's memory.
The really small file sizes of all the icons that are displayed on the forum pretty much make them a non-issue as well. YaBB designed them so that 95% of them are only 90 to about 500 bytes - and the other 5% are still well under 1KB (1024 bytes). Even 80% of the avatars on the forum are under 1KB :)
The only graphics that can be large are the daily montages, but even they average around 69KB, and they're confined to only displaying on the BoardIndex. However, even if they were a problem I wouldn't stop doing them because I've been putting them together for almost 4 years now - October 7th will be the 4th anniversary of the opening of the first incarnation of the forum on VantageNet. :) Back then the montages displayed on every page of the forum, and VantageNet never once complained that we were using too much bandwidth on their service. But then, we didn't have as many people visiting the VN forums as we do now. ;)

I'd be perfectly willing to do without some of these effects if that would help. Maybe some of the options could simply be eliminated rather than relying on members to voluntarily scale back?

Well, you know what - Midnite and I have discovered some HUGE discrepancies in what different techs at our host's site have told us over the past 8 months. We've also noticed discrepancies in what they've told us and what their own administration center reports about our statistics. I was going to save this as an announcement for tomorrow - but it almost is tomorrow, so...

I recommended this site to an online friend but she was disappointed to learn that no new members could register at this time.

...you can tell your friend that as of this moment, registrations are open again.

Now that doesn't mean that everyone can just ignore all the bandwidth saving measures we've put into place. Far from it. But I want to test a theory I have - and opening registrations again just might do it. ;)

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2002, 08:01:48 AM »
The slide only works if someone is using Microsoft Internet Explorer.

I usually use Microsoft Internet Explorer, but it still does it on AOL too, not as good, but the slide still works.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2002, 08:14:27 AM »
I usually use Microsoft Internet Explorer, but it still does it on AOL too, not as good, but the slide still works.

CS, that's because AOL uses Internet Explorer.

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
dRe: HEY...WAKE UP!!
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2002, 08:45:57 AM »
I didn't know that. I've only had a PC for a year and a half. My 6 year old has a computer in her classroom, probably knows more than I do!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2002, 09:36:32 PM »

Which browser do you use on your Mac? The slide only works if someone is using Microsoft Internet Explorer. It should do the same in IE's Mac version. :)

I use both Netscape (until today, when I got an error message saying I couldn't use that browser to access this site) and also Microsoft IE. But the "slide" thing only happens on IE for Windows, not IE for Macs. (Doesn't really matter to me, just a piece of trivia there). I usually use Netscape because I get a lot of error messages using IE on a Mac.

...you can tell your friend that as of this moment, registrations are open again.

Great! I'll pass the word along. Thanks for your response, oh Mysterious one! And thanks again for all your hard work on this forum. It is much appreciated by all!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2002, 09:48:55 PM »
No slide here, and I only use IE for this site. It is probably because the version of IE I use is old.  Who knows.  I'm relieved, in a way, that I'm not committed enough to seeing the effect to try and work out why it fails to happen here.

Gothick

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2002, 09:58:32 PM »
the "slide" thing only happens on IE for Windows, not IE for Macs.

Hmmm. That's weird. Or with Microsoft, maybe not...

Great! I'll pass the word along. Thanks for your response, oh Mysterious one! And thanks again for all your hard work on this forum. It is much appreciated by all!

Unfortunately, I've had to shut down regtistrations again. :( But since I told you to tell your friend she could register, why don't you have her e-mail me at MysteriousB@dsboards.com to tell me what username she'd like to use, and I'll set her up myself. :)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2002, 10:00:54 PM »
No slide here, and I only use IE for this site. It is probably because the version of IE I use is old.  Who knows.

OK - now I'm really intrigued as to what's going on. I'll definitely have to investigate this...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2002, 10:32:59 PM »
FWIW, I use a PC to view the site.  I really don't think it's worth spending your valuable time on.

Thank you again for the many LUSCIOUS Don Briscoe snapshots these past weeks.

Your admirer,

Gothick