Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0334  (Read 774 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0334
« on: November 02, 2012, 03:38:58 PM »
Robservations - #334

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0334

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 05:31:08 PM »
Alexandra does the opening voiceover and that makes me happy.

Burke: “Strange man.”
Woodard: “Strange family.”

Edmond’s must have had a ball delivering his dialogue because I had a blast watching & listening to it. Roger chastises Burke & Woodard for going to the Old House and “harassing” Barnabas with David’s “wild” accusations. Great stuff! I’d love to know the intent of the writers having Roger peer at the portrait in the drawing room and turn to face the camera with a concerned/worried/knowing look on his face? What do you think? My gut is telling me that Roger might believe in a family curse of insanity or something. Or maybe he’s silently pleading for help from his incestor, uh, I mean, ancestor from the great beyond? 

Love it when we see Roger’s caring side. I am always grateful to be reminded that he does love his son. It’s perhaps the one thing that broke my heart in the 2012 movie – [spoiler]that Roger took the money and ran.[/spoiler]

Wow, David spills the beans about the mausoleum’s secret room. Wow, Roger let’s Dr. Woodard & Burke take David to the Mausoleum. I think I was as devastated as David when the ring in the lion’s/wolf’s mouth wouldn’t pull & open the panel. Once again, Sarah is getting credit for impeding progress but I think it was Barn who did it (regardless of the flute – btw, I thought it was a recorder, but whatever). Well, Barn should have done it.

Is this Gerringer’s last episode? It’s as if he knew. He really did give it all he’s got and then that little extra; again with “the look” as he closes David’s bedroom window.

Alexandra does the closing production call.

I enjoyed this episode. The story is moving along nicely and seems to be reaching some sort of climax. 

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
I wonder if this episode was to be the start of Barnabas' downfall on the show.  Maybe an early draft had the mausoleum door open as they were leaving instead of the flute.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 06:05:56 PM »
Yeah, I wonder? Karlen is gone and perhaps that's because without Barnabas there is no need for Willie. I know they all ready have decided to go into the past, but still, that doesn't mean they'd have to rewrite Willie's part to keep him on.

What a good book that would make, a comparison study of the intended story-line parallel to the actual story-line or some thing of that nature. I wonder who is still alive that could take on such a project (and wouldn't lie about it, lol).

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 08:47:33 PM »
David is a very dramatic little boy. Roger talks about how he thought the ancestral portraits were watching him as a child. I remember my mom asking me why I had the portraits of my great grandfather and uncle that hung in my room covered up. I said it was to keep the dust off of them, but not really. Roger says he outgrew it, but he stares at Jeremiah over the fireplace and it looks like he didn't. David is once again foiled in this quest to prove he isn't lying.

you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 09:50:05 PM »
I love that scene where Roger looks up at the portrait of Jeremiah, then hastily turns away, still as scared as when he was David's age!

Woodard and Burke agree to take David to Eagle Hill. They’ll take care of him, Vicki assures Roger. The way you looked at Burke, observes Roger drily but not unkindly, I’m sure you think he can take care of anything.

I'm sure it was Sarah who was keeping the secret room closed, especially because she left her flute for David and Burke and Dave Woodard to find.

Despite his snide remarks, we can see that Roger really cares about David and even about Vicki. Some very nice bits by LE in this episode.

So, alwaysdavid, the writers had already decided that we'd go back to the past. I wonder if that was to be  the prelude to the end of Barnabas. Hard to say, but fun to speculate.

[spoiler]Farewell, Robert Gerringer. According to my notes, this was his last appearance as Dr. Woodard because he refused to cross a picket line during an actors' strike.[/spoiler]

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 11:57:29 PM »
Wow, I missed the stuff about Roger and the portraits. I guess I'll have to start watching twice. Once all the way through and then once to refresh as I type.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 01:29:27 AM »
In a letter to his mother, JF seems to be unsure about still being on the show after the end of the flashback.