Author Topic: How many times do we see people in casual clothes?  (Read 4068 times)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
How many times do we see people in casual clothes?
« on: June 15, 2007, 02:09:50 PM »
How often do we see the Collins Family in casual clothes?   Just watching as part of the watching project. Do we ever see jeans on  the parents. No sweatsuits, tennis shoes,  and no ties or ascots? I must admit it is hard  to remember back then.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: How many times do we see people in casual clothes?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 03:31:29 PM »
I don't think we ever see anyone in soaps wearing much casual stuff. I mean, in today's soaps, of course there are people who were it sometimes, but most of the time it's suits for the men, and some kind of business dress or at least semi-formal stuff for the women.

In DS, the only character I can even think of maybe having an inkling about wearing jeans, would be Buzz. And I'm not sure what you would consider casual or not, but Vicki and Carolyn wore casual dress clothes more of the time. But, I guess that's still considered "Dress" clothes.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 06:00:35 PM »
I just posted on this, I thought.  If I did it on another board by accident, that's going to be embarrassing.

Anyway, no one but kids would have been caught dead in jeans, which to the WW2 generation were farm wear.   They were, before the mid-60s.    Maybe the same for sneakers except they would have been for sports.   Sweatsuits too.    I heard recently that they started being worn in public in the 80s.    I missed that I guess.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 06:11:55 PM »
But we were talking about being at home. Not out in the public. I do remember my mother dressing better to go to the store.   She did grow up in the farm, and she had to wear overall.  I wonder how much time they took to dress up at home. Did we ?
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 07:04:36 PM »
Carolyn definitely dressed casually when out with Buzz. I recall her wearing tight black jeans and some kind of sweater, along with black boots, but not sneakers. That was the only time, though. PT1970 Carolyn wore slacks, as I recall, which were brown.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 09:54:38 PM »
Wasn't Carolyn wearing "Mary-Tyler-Moore" pants in, I believe, the second or third episode, where she was cuttin' a rug with all her cool cats and chicks friends to the juke box in the Blue Whale?

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 10:07:05 PM »
Nope - she was wearing a dress:

And a Vicki-style sleeveless one at that.  :)

Just goes to show how the mind can sometimes play tricks.  ;)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 11:34:06 PM »
Of course!  Once I again, I had suffered from FDSMS (Faulty Dark Shadows Memory Syndrome).  Maybe it was Joe who was wearing the Mary-Tyler-Moore pants.  That's why he was sometimes cranky when he went on dates with Carolyn.  It had nothing to do with her being sassy.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 11:47:04 PM »
Maybe it was Joe who was wearing the Mary-Tyler-Moore pants.

That's probably it!  ;D

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 04:10:41 AM »
I think over the years the way we dress has been "dumbed down" so to speak. I mean, when I'm at home, on my days off, if I'm just going to be lazy, I don't change out of my bed clothes sometimes. If I'm going outside to do something, I wear a old t-shirt and some shorts. But if I do go out somewhere, like to the store, I usually make sure my shorts have no holes in them, or I wear jeans, and a nicer, newer t-shirt. There was a point when I was younger where I didn't give a hoot if I was caught dead in my underwear in the store, but now I'm more concerned about my appearance.

Back in the day (not my day, either ;) ), I'd expect that most wouldn't be caught dead going out without a casual suit on and some type of dress for the women.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 06:12:43 PM »
You're right, Brandon. I always get a kick out of old TV series like "Leave It to Beaver" where June is always dolled up to the nines and Ward hangs around the house in the evenings in his suit. Too funny! I can assure you, though, that did not go on in my household. My 1950's mother was casual at home. However, if she went to the store or out to a restaurant or anything, she got dressed up (well, not so much for the store, but within reason).

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 07:03:06 PM »
for starters i'm at the library right now.

my computer is deader than a doornail.i miss the forum!!!

anywho "working class" characters like joe haskell,tom jennings,sam evans and so on could arguably be seen as wearing "casual" clothes by the era's standards(ie.not a suit).

members of the collins family and other "upper class" characters generally were seen in a suit or at the very least a jacket(roger often paired one with a turtleneck).

carolyn did wear slacks during the buzz era and some later characters like megan todd did as well.

but from what i can recall elizabeth,julia,vicki and maggie never once wore slacks and in general seemed a bit "dressed up" around the house(which i adore!).

i miss you guys and hope to be back soon. :-*
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 07:30:48 PM »
my computer is deader than a doornail.

I´m so sorry for you, mscbryk!  :(  We´ve probably all been there at one point or another - but I´m sure that´s little consolation right now. I really hope things work out as soon as possible and you can get your current computer repaired or in time you´ll hopefully be able to get another one...

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 06:07:33 PM »
I can certainly relate to computer problems!  I had written a reply to this thread a few days ago, however my computer has an auto-shut down switch that it likes to activate indiscriminately.  So here's my reply yet again:

I had to laugh one time at Barnabas and his own brand of 'casual."  I forget the storyline, but there he was at the Old House, hanging out--maybe reading a book or something, and his ONLY nod to casual dress was that grey/black silky looking coat/dress sort of thing.  Like a fancy smoking jacket that was longer and more full--except he wasn't smoking.

It was like he had come in. and gone, "Whew!  I need to relax!"  So he took off his cape and suit coat and put on this coat/dress thing OVER what he was already wearing.  He didn't EVEN take off his TIE!!!!

Talk about CASUAL DRESS!  THAT Barnabas!  What a BOHEMIAN!!!!  LOL!!!!

Judy
[angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 04:39:48 AM »
we didn't wear "slacks" too school until high school always dresses
but it was part of the era to wear mini dresses and skirts also
maggie i do believe had the shortest but i was watching an episode
the other day with chris and carolyn and he has a suit jacket and tie on
on a casual date how funny ;D
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV