Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0397  (Read 2400 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0397
« on: October 02, 2007, 06:57:05 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0397
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 03:26:47 PM »
I still don't understand about Jeremiah's ghost, but I loved this episode.  When Angelique asked the ghost, "Haven't you done enough?" I wanted to throw something at the television.  She's a fine one to complain!  And where does she get off, accusing Barnabas of still being in love with Josette?  When Barnabas agreed to marry Angelique, he never pretended that he wasn't in still in love with Josette.  Angelique could renounce all her powers today, and she still would be a horrible wife.

Barnabas looked thoroughly miserable during the whole proceedings, but I wonder if he was just a little bit relieved when Angelique did show up.  He must have been wondering: "Is there something about me that makes brides run away from me?  Bad breath, maybe?"  It's an awful shame that it was Angelique and not Josette that was the bride who finally managed to show up.

I always wonder if the ghost's remark about the living dead stuck in the back of Angelique's mind until....

And I wonder if Abigail was the star of Reverend Bland's Ladies Prayer Group.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 05:12:28 PM »
There seem to be a lot of people who think instinctively that if you do something legal or "official" then reality itself will go along with it.    Perhaps in some part of Angelique's mind, Barnabas was "officially" on his way to loving her, since they were married in the eyes of man and God.    He'd "agreed" not to love Josette by entering into this contract.    Something vaguely like that, maybe. 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 08:06:26 PM »
The champagne turning in to blood was so very disgusting!  [hall_shocked]

I got the distinct impression that Barnabas didn't really want to be left alone with Angelique, and after the tantrum she threw, he has to be wondering what sort of a marriage he's gotten himself into.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 08:59:54 AM »
I loved it when Ben laughed at Angelique's plight at the hands of Jeremiah!   [hall_wink]

It was impressing how Naomi was able to conjure up  ([rofl10]) a dress for Angelique so quickly. It looked very plain at first, but when Angelique wore it, it was beautiful.  [gorgeous]

Yes, indeed, the champagne turning into blood was utterly disgusting!  [hall_tongue]

I agree with Magnus that Angelique rationionalized that Barnabas' marriage to her was leading him on to the road of love and devotion to her - and not Josette. It's funny what that piece of paper will do to some people.  [hall2_wink]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 06:30:53 PM »
A couple of thoughts:

First, I adore Naomi. She was so sweet and genuinely cared for her family. Despite how miserable everyone was she tried her best to help make the wedding ceremony a happy one.

Secondly, Angelique. It's a shame and she was a fool to not see that in her pursuit of Barnabas and to make him solely her own she ruined his life. Barnabas was definitely no angel, but the scene where he leaves to go find work.... who would hire him? He was educated and definitely knew his way around a ship, but unless he planned to work in the shipping industry, which was no doubt monopolized by the Collins family, what was he going to do? We never saw any hint that he knew any trades, not to mention everyone in town would know that his Father had disowned him for marrying a servant. To go against Joshua Collins was to go against all the money and power in the area. How many people would think that was a wise business decision? Angelique wanted money and high class living but to get what she wanted she destroyed almost any chance she had of ever getting it.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 09:46:11 AM »
I agree with you, arashi, but only up to a point.  Naomi was also thoughtless in giving the Old House to Barnabas.  Even if she is right about Joshua, there is still no knowing how long it will take for Joshua to cave in to the point of bringing Barnabas back to the shipyard.  Naomi should have made no objection to Barnabas leaving Collinsport.  But I can't really condemn her.  To watch Barnabas leave Collinsport, disowned by his father and planning to marry another woman within a month of being dumped by Josette - that would have been heartbreaking for Naomi.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 03:19:22 AM »
I love the stagehand's hand reaching up to open the door in the bedroom scene.

Any guesses as to how long Angelique's resolution to never hurt anyone ever again will last?  [santa_wink]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 04:03:06 AM »
Any guesses as to how long Angelique's resolution to never hurt anyone ever again will last?  [santa_wink]

Uh, not even 24 hours.  [santa_grin]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 08:06:41 PM »

Uh, not even 24 hours.  [santa_grin]

What, she meant that?

It was probably an eternity for her.    When a donkey flies, you don't expect it to get very far.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 06:13:23 AM »
When a donkey flies, you don't expect it to get very far.
I really like this.  Enough to say so now.  Apparently I didn't like it as much five years ago.  Interesting.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 07:57:36 AM »
Hi Lydia!  Can't PM anymore since new format came back, by the way.  I can't take credit for the expression, which came from a (good) sitcom I think, can't remember which one.   I just wrote down new notes for 397 a few minutes ago.... I've got a VCR again.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 08:57:04 PM »
which came from a (good) sitcom I think, can't remember which one.

Great line from the Mary Tyler Moore finale!  Ted threatened to quit if his coworkers were fired but took it right back, and Murray said when a donkey flies, you don't blame him for not staying up that long.  LOL

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 09:26:58 PM »
Thanks Midnite, I can hear Murray's voice in my head saying it now!  Cool that you knew that!