Author Topic: Favorite Episode?  (Read 1908 times)

Offline FraterCorvus

• View Profile
Favorite Episode?
« on: June 22, 2007, 10:02:21 PM »
This is a toughie.. I know one of my all time favorites is one of the 1795 ones where the "Good Reverend Trask" gets walled up alive by Barnabas ala...The Cask of the Amontillado.

The Adam storyline was interesting..at first, but it dragged on entirely too long.
One lovable rogue, was Jason McGuire. I was rather sad he never reappeared.

Jonathan Frid and David Selby are favorites, but someone who made the show was Grayson Hall in all of her characterizations.
Whatta gal. I love her "Lillian Gish" moments.
A fun note, in the early episode #245 Doc Woodard repeatedly refers to Dr Hoffman as "him" or "he".
Obviously the Dr. had not been entirely cast yet, or Robert Gerringer who played Doc Woodard messed up.

My Name is Frater Corvus.
This has been a Dan Curtis Production.

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Episode?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 10:33:56 PM »
If I absolutely HAD to pick a favorite, it would be the very first episode. It really set the tone for the entire series, even if it did veer off in a different direction with the introduction of Barnabas and the spotlight off Vicki's parentage.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 12:01:35 AM »
I would have to agree that it was the first episode.  Everything about it was perfect - the writing, acting, directing, camera work.  The combination of exterior footage blended with sound-stage filming.  Never did Joan Bennet look so regal.

Gerard

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 01:22:30 AM »
290.  Always and forever.  When I die, they'll find "290" engraved on my heart.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 03:09:40 PM »
Oh,  yes, Barnabas bricking up the 1795 Trask is defiinetly on my list of favorites. But I also like the episode where Trask's ghost appears in 1968 and returns the favor to Barnabas.

On top of my list of favorites.....Angelique the vampire attacking Barnabas....I always enjoy that little period between them together, she the bloodsucker, he the victim. Jonathan and Lara were just brilliant.

Offline markyboo

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 08:46:29 PM »
 SPOILER!!! :D  My favorite episode took place during the 1897 storyline. I'm afraid I don't know the episode number, but it was an early 1897 episode. It took place shortly after old Edith Collins' death. Her grandchildren - Judith, Edward, Quentin and Carl -had just learned the contents of their grandmother's will. Naturally each of the boys expected to be the one & only heir & were quite outraged to find out Judith was left in charge. The episode really got cracking when the four siblings began fighting amongst themselves - it was beautifully performed, directed & written. That episode has always reminded me of Lillian Hellman's juicy play, THE LITTLE FOXES, which is also about a sister & her brothers quarreling over a family fortune.

Another personal fave - the first episode in the 1995 storyline. I'll never forget the exxpressions on Barnabas & Julia's faces when they discovered Collinwood in ruins!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 03:13:15 AM »
My fave is when Barnabas is on his way to see Vicky and Willie is opposed to it. Barn tells him that the gap between Willie and Miss Winters is as wide a the sky. Barnabas goes on to gloat about eternal life and how there is nothing wrong with it. Willie delivers the killer line..."Except maybe loneliness."
That is killer DS dialogue in my opinion. My fave episode.
And it's a wonder Willie didn't get kilt for sayin' it.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

David

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 02:06:40 PM »
 :D

Barnabas' first night as a vampire in 1795 scared the hell out of me then.
It's still creepy!
My all time fave!

Coming it at a close second:
Josette rises from the grave.
Brrrrrr.........

David

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 05:51:35 PM »
It's disappointing that we didn't even get to see a beating as a result of it. >:D

Seriously though, that is one of my favorite scenes and one that JF may show at the DS event this August. He is selecting clips to show.

nancy

My fave is when Barnabas is on his way to see Vicky and Willie is opposed to it. Barn tells him that the gap between Willie and Miss Winters is as wide a the sky. Barnabas goes on to gloat about eternal life and how there is nothing wrong with it. Willie delivers the killer line..."Except maybe loneliness."
That is killer DS dialogue in my opinion. My fave episode.
And it's a wonder Willie didn't get kilt for sayin' it.

Offline Origen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 01:37:32 PM »
Being a die-hard Count Petofi fan, I would have to say episode #815 (8-8-69) when the infamous Count finally gets his hand back and demands that Barnabas tell him the secret  of time travel.   :)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 02:58:58 PM »
Welcome to the Forums, Origen!

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 04:02:55 PM »
I think one of my favorite episodes is in 1897. Trask comes back
from away and find Charity singing and dancing in the Collinwood
foyer. She has make up on her face. She gives him a hip bump.
The look on his face is priceless! Total shock. lol

David

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 04:12:36 PM »
I'm afraid I don't know the episode number, but it was an early 1897 episode. It took place shortly after old Edith Collins' death. Her grandchildren - Judith, Edward, Quentin and Carl -had just learned the contents of their grandmother's will. ... That episode has always reminded me of Lillian Hellman's juicy play, THE LITTLE FOXES, which is also about a sister & her brothers quarreling over a family fortune.

Markyboo:
this was also Louis Edmonds' favorite.
He made The Little Foxes comparison as well.

David

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 03:51:37 AM »
I think I just watched my favorite - 535, the ep where Barnabas finally has the dream. Fun scenes with Barnabas and Vicki (he tells her "I love you"! Crazy!), Barnabas' dream, Angelique's fake-out, and best of all, Grayson Hall giving Cassandra a smack! Jam-packed episode compared to much of what came before.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 04:43:01 AM »
there are too many scenes to get into however...

i agree with several of the episodes already mentioned here.episode one being the standard bearer.

but if i had to pick the episode that repeatedly gives me goosebumps it would probably be the episode with the sceance that leads to the 1795 storyline(#365).it's absolute perfection!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.