Author Topic: Jonathan Frid's special website project  (Read 1522 times)

Nancy

Jonathan Frid's special website project
« on: February 22, 2003, 11:23:48 PM »
Jonathan Frid has just launched a special project on his website about the supposed life and antics of Richard III.  Explanations and introductions of the presentation can be found first on the Special Project section of the Frid website, then the actual presentation starts on the Audio Gallery.  The presentation includes new readings by Frid, and extensive use of flash and sound and includes photos of Frid in performance. :o

As usual, you can make any comments about the presentation (or report difficulties in viewing it) in the Visitor's Corner.

www.jonathanfrid.com

Nancy

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Jonathan Frid's special website project
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 11:38:10 PM »
Thanks Nancy.   Looking at that site makes me think of the dull, dry, boring profs who tried to teach Shakespeare when I was in college.  Can you imagine having a teacher as devoted to the work as Jonathan, instead!!  :D

raineypark

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Connie

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 04:22:10 AM »

Can you imagine having a teacher as devoted to the work as Jonathan, instead!!  :D

Hey, if I were in HIS class I'd certainly be paying attention!
Oh baby, oh baby...

;D

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2003, 05:39:13 AM »
Looking at that site makes me think of the dull, dry, boring profs who tried to teach Shakespeare when I was in college.

Can't say as I had the same complaint about my undergrad Shakespeare prof who had been teaching at the university since my mother was there.

If your paper sucked, he took it out in his back yard and had target practice with his shotgun, which meant that everyone in the class knew if you'd written a bad paper because when he returned them you could see the bullet holes.

On one of the last days of class, when we were doing MacBeth, he got this wicked gleam in his eyes as he asked 3 girls to come down to the front of the room to do one of the witches' scenes. He placed the trash can on the desk and told them that was their cauldron.

They started reading the scene from their trusty Folger paperback editions, and we watched as the prof suddenly flipped a match into the air and into the trash can, where he had apparently placed firecrackers or some other sort of pyrotechnic device.

Nobody was hurt, but the smoke got caught up in the building's ventilation system. (I later found out about this from my roommate who had a class in a room directly above ours. She said they could see smoke.) So he calmly continued class and we were having a lovely time when we heard sirens approaching the building. It was the university police. The foreign language dept secretary had phoned them.

The officers knocked on the classroom door, and the prof told them he was teaching a class that they would have to see him later in his office. He told them that he was crazy and that they could contact the English Department for confirmation. Then he shut the door and locked it.  :o

They waited around in the hallway for him after class. Nothing ever came of it.

Boring Shakespeare professor? Hardly.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Nancy

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 05:58:21 AM »
Thanks Nancy.   Looking at that site makes me think of the dull, dry, boring profs who tried to teach Shakespeare when I was in college.  Can you imagine having a teacher as devoted to the work as Jonathan, instead!!  :D

raineypark

Yes, he certainly makes up for the dry ones.  Numerous English teachers have said via the website feedback that they are having students visit the website and will promote it among their peers as well.

JF's plan as an actor was to get all the professional experience he could and then get a job as a drama professor in California.  He never believed this peevish notion that those who can't make any headway in the business or are lousy actors make do teaching: he believes that those who can succeed and are good make the best teachers.   Back in an interview some five years before DS while appearing in a play, JF said his ambition was not the Broadway stage or fame, but teaching.

Nancy

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 03:12:21 PM »
Nothing ever came of it.

How on earth could "nothing" ever have come of it?  He wasn't reprimanded for endangering the safety of a class full of students?  The University wasn't cited for the incident by the Fire Department? None of the parents sued?  None of the parents tried to have him KILLED?!!!!!  >:(

Rainey....who's kid is just starting to look at colleges....  ::)

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2003, 04:06:43 PM »
Wait till you find out what they have in their dorm rooms that they are told NOT to have.
When our daughter was in a car accident near school, the Fire Chief of the little town called to tell us about it but the minute he said who he was, the first thing I thought of was that there had been a dorm fire.
Nowadays, they have everything but the kitchen sink in those little rooms.

carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2003, 04:32:54 PM »
How on earth could "nothing" ever have come of it?  He wasn't reprimanded for endangering the safety of a class full of students?  The University wasn't cited for the incident by the Fire Department? None of the parents sued?  None of the parents tried to have him KILLED?!!!!!

Since the prof was highly popular among both students and alumni and was also very active in the local theatre where he was a constant favorite and considering that the smoke generated by the incident was not enough to set off the fire alarms, they had a hard time finding anyone who was actually in the room who found it upsetting. The girls thought it was hilarious.

As far as I know, the fire department was never called. Most likely he was given some sort of verbal reprimand, but nothing happened that got printed up in the university paper.

Am I defending him and would I do the same thing in my classroom? No. But I can't say as I found this guy particularly boring or stodgy.  ;)

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2003, 05:40:05 PM »
Nothing ever came of it.

How on earth could "nothing" ever have come of it?  He wasn't reprimanded for endangering the safety of a class full of students?  The University wasn't cited for the incident by the Fire Department? None of the parents sued?  None of the parents tried to have him KILLED?!!!!!  >:(

Tenure is an amazing thing ;)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Nancy

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2003, 09:21:17 PM »
[Wait till you find out what they have in their dorm rooms that they are told NOT to have.
When our daughter was in a car accident near school, the Fire Chief of the little town called to tell us about it but the minute he said who he was, the first thing I thought of was that there had been a dorm fire.
Nowadays, they have everything but the kitchen sink in those little rooms.

Evidently, what gets kept in the dorm rooms hasn't changed since I lived in one.  Down the hall this person kept her boyfriend's pet tarantula in her room (and if a dust bunny tickled your ankles in the hall you automatically assumed the spider got out). :o

Then there were the pot raids that one of which resulted in my roommate and I parting ways!  And I wanted to spend my freshman year in on a quiet campus!!!!! ::)

Nancy

Nancy

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2003, 09:26:48 PM »
Tenure is an amazing thing ;)

It is. It has saved many a lousy professor.  I remember one of my English classes where 3/4 of the class got up and walked out of the second lecture because the professor was clearly nuts and rambling about things that had nothing to do with the subject (Victorian literature).    There had been other complaints about him and in spite of 20 students dropping his class on the same day, the Dean still didn't get it.

But, with that said, 95% of the English professors (and profs in general) that I had were fascinating and competent, even in Shakespeare that I always seemed to have at 9:00 a.m. in the morning.

Nancy

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2003, 12:42:48 AM »
Raineypack, my sympathy goes out to you looking for college that is a good match for you child is not fun.  A word of advise keep the school within a driveable distance of home.  We keep a 2 to 3 hour drive away for both our college children.

Lets talk about college dorms.  My daughters first year there were three girls in what should have been a double.  You could not walk into the room.  Unbelievable.

My son's room is like a mini apartment.  They have a couch taken from some lounge.  TV, DVD, VHR. Playstation 2, N-64, two frigs, two micro waves, 2 computers.  Isn't it sad how they have to rough it in school.

Funny, he is in a dorm at U-mass, that is use to party in some 25 years ago.  Found my old diary a week ago in a fit of crazed cleaning.  Let's just say it is something I will never share with my children.

Sorry this is so off topic.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2003, 02:49:12 AM »
Thanks for your comments Birdie!!!

My daughter wants to go 'away' to school and is more concerned about remaining close to New York City than she is to us.  I worry about the fact that she's an only child who never had to share a bathroom, much less a bedroom with anyone.  I see a VERY rude awakening in her future when she actually has to LIVE in a dorm!!  ::)

raineypark
Dylan Thomas