Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1232  (Read 859 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1232
« on: June 08, 2011, 12:02:02 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1232
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:38:03 AM »
Tape #198 of 200.   Not much more left...  Oh great, Morgan's back.   Daphne gets sick.  At least in this ep., there's a reason for the duelling pistols to be there.

That is all.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 11:16:07 AM »
They're rolling up the sidewalks at Dark Shadows.  Yesterday the Room storyline got a huge shove towards its demise, and today Daphne suddenly started dying, poof! just like that.  Not to mention Bramwell's declaration to his mother that he has deep feelings towards Daphne that he's unable to express.  Clearly we're intended to believe that, but goodness, how can we?  He comes home calling out, "Daphne!  Daphne!" and saying he's been doing a lot of thinking, but it just doesn't ring true.  It's a pity; if this show were going to last longer, I'd love to see Catherine suffering the torments of jealousy as Bramwell turns towards Daphne.  But instead, Josette says, "Daphne is dying," and that's the blooper of century.  She should have said, "Dark Shadows is dying."

Thank heavens Morgan remains the same.  Once a jerk, always a jerk.  God forbid that he should consider himself in the light of Enoch Arden.  All the traditions of soap opera romantic nobility are lost on him.

Grayson Hall got stuck with exposition duty again today, to help out all the lost viewers returning to the fold now that Dark Shadows is on its last legs.

Nice voiceover by Jonathan Frid.  Usually his voiceovers don't impress me much, but when he's playing Bramwell, the difference between his voiceover voice and his Bramwell voice is pleasant to hear.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 11:28:17 AM »
That reminds me, I did notice and like the Frid VO.  I also noticed the slightly odd or awkward delivery of Julia's for the exposition, mainly because it's hard to pick a mood with which to speak lines when it's something a character is unlikely to say, and is meant to inform or remind the audience about events.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 02:33:15 PM »
I always like JF's voiceovers, but I guess I'm in the minority.

It was nice of Julia to defend Catherine and Bramwell against Morgan's accusations, but I'm sure she was doing it mostly for Daphne's sake.

Bramwell's mother is the only woman he actually listens to. It's too bad there wasn't time to really develop the change in his feelings for Daphne. It would have been fun to see Catherine get jealous (again).

As far as I can guess, people rubbed alcohol on a sick person's forehead and wrists to bring a fever down. Alcohol evaporates quickly, so it would have a cooling effect. But I don't say this from personal experience.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 06:08:57 AM »
It was nice of Julia to defend Catherine and Bramwell against Morgan's accusations, but I'm sure she was doing it mostly for Daphne's sake.
I think it's more likely that Julia was, as usual, worrying about scandalous tales being spread about the Collins family.  I'd like to see her fall wildly, calamitously in love with...say...the footman (as played by Gordon Russell) and throw caution to the wind.  I'm sure Heather would be delighted to write her lines.