Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0388  (Read 906 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0388
« on: February 07, 2013, 06:24:19 PM »
Robservations #388

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0388

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 08:30:41 PM »
I am totally fascinated with the way Josette is being written lately. She’s so complex with so many possibilities to explain her actions. Pride, loyalty, lost love, shame, her true nature, stubbornness, defiance, the spell -- why is she acting this way and saying the things she is saying? Maybe she is just 'human'. Perhaps I am looking for rationale in an irrational situation. I was most impressed with the scene where Barn questions Josette. I have to admit, by scene's end I was scratching my head in confusion - but in a good way.

There’s so much going on in this episode. Nathan's integrity is tested, and his station threatened, both by Trask. Nathan updates Barn on Vicki's locale and wellbeing and admits that he is having second thoughts regarding protecting Vicki. Ange does her best to turn Barn against Vicki. Ange goes in for the kill (or kiss, lol) once she goads Barn into claiming he hates Josette (as much as he hates Jeremiah). Trask attempts to exorcise Josette of the evil spell he believes Vicki has cast upon her, much to the horror of Barn who stops it and dismisses Trask. Barn is now alone with Josette and unfortunately for the entire household, this leads to Barn eventually, and for the second time, rejecting Ange's love, and as we've come to expect, this causes Ange to go on the warpath -- this time setting her sights on another innocent, Sarah.

Random thoughts: Anyone think anything of the 'effect' of Trask through the flames? A not-so-subtle statement perhaps? I found it interesting. Is Trask's coercing of Nathan in this episode our first indication that he (Trask) will fight 'dirty' to get his way? I've always wondered if the pitchfork brand appearing and disappearing has any real significance. If not, then why bother? Parker turns in another outstanding performance.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 09:51:05 PM »
I think Trask will stop at nothing, even if he has to fight dirty. The only thing he cares about is a trophy.

Clearly captivated by Josette's beauty, Trask has a field day with the mark on her hand. She concedes that bewitchment may be the reason for her strange behavior, and indeed, she feels clearer-headed when the mark vanishes. Trask decides he must exorcise the evil spirit from her. He is in the middle of his ritual when Barnabas stops him, just at the moment he (T.) has dared to put his hands on either side of Josette’s face (as part of the cure, of course).

I remember that the scene with Barnabas and Josette was almost too painful to watch--beautifully done by both.

Much later, Barnabas is brooding in his room when Angelique arrives. Clearly her attitude has changed. Kneeling at his feet, she asks him, "Why didn't you come to me? I waited for you." There's no sex on this show, not even OFF screen! But by the time she leaves, she knows that he will never, ever come to her willingly.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:32:57 PM »
This time around, I'm having a harder time with 1795, but it's my problem really.   I have neurological effects that tend to drain the emotional depth out of any and all experiences.   Anyway, 1795 strikes me as too stilted and 'stagey'. which I hope is a passing impression.   The scene with Barnabas questioning Josette was good and adult, though, in which he resents the very idea of her trying to introduce the supernatural as an excuse for betraying him and shattering his life and faith in anybody, I guess.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 10:38:34 PM »
I hope you will feel better soon, MT. I think that by the end of the scene with Barnabas, Josette realizes that if she blames the supernatural for what happened, then all the tragedy was for nothing. We, the viewers, know that that actually is the case, but I think it's rather noble of Josette to take the blame for everything that has happened.

I forgot one interesting sartorial observation from my notes on the first scene: By the fire in the drawing room, Angelique is giving the depressed and apathetic Barnabas one of her famous headache massages, and we have what counts as almost total frontal male nudity on this show: Barnabas is in ivory shirtsleeves, without weskit or jacket! Anyway, with his headache cured, he puts the rest of his clothes back on. (He’s wearing a pale silk damask weskit in blue tones and the green jacket. We can see that shirt cuffs are attached to it, in addition to the cuffs on his own shirt, hidden beneath the jacket.)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 11:14:45 PM »
I hope you will feel better soon, MT.

It's actually doctor-caused damage done about a quarter century ago, and I've had no help from any doctor in trying to find a way to undo this damage in all that time.   It gradually, slowly gets worse year by year.  Not trying to tug at heartstrings or anything, but just a bit of important truth-telling on my part... 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 01:02:30 AM »
I'm very sorry to hear it, MT. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 06:18:41 AM »
Trask if so far over the top it is hard to believe that anyone would believe his vile garbage. The family takes in him even though he was exposed as to not be a real parson right off by Jeremiah.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 09:09:43 AM »
I'm very sorry to hear it, MT. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Thanks DL.  It would help if people generally could just try to comprehend and remember what these severe and unusual symptoms are,  and what it's like to experience them (as I've tried to describe them), so that the next person to come along with them might be less likely to be dismissed or laughed at, because of people being unfamiliar with this kind of problem.

As for Trask, a.d., people in real life adjust their perceptions of what they see and hear, to fit their preferred world view.   Someone who sees witches everywhere will re-mold Trask in his/her head so that he becomes a stern but practical and heroic fighter for people's immortal souls.   "Heroism" isn't always expected to be "pretty".   It can involve doing harsh things for a greater good.

Emotional impressions matter far more to people than facts.   The impression Trask makes in person over-rides any facts such as, his lack of a church or congregation.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 03:42:07 PM »
Well, I suppose we can be sure that Trask has a congregation of one (i.e., himself).  [snow_wink]