Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0990  (Read 918 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0990
« on: October 05, 2015, 05:28:32 PM »
Robservations #990

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0990

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 12:02:34 AM »
Elizabeth and Roger find Sabrina in the drawing room, still thinking she's back in the past on the night of the séance. No matter how hard they try to bring Sabrina out of it, she's stuck back in that event. As the clock chimes 11:00, Roger remembers that at that exact hour, the séance began. Elizabeth tells him not to think about it. There hasn’t been an hour since that I haven’t, he replies. He phones Cyrus. The fireplace surround is clean after being dirty for many months!

Sabrina is in a guest room at Collinwood, plaintively asking Cyrus why he won't start the séance. She insists she's not crazy. Cyrus tells Elizabeth and Roger about the stranger's attack and the trauma it brought on. But why, Roger asks quite sensibly, is Sabrina so fixated on the séance after being attacked by the horrible stranger? Cyrus replies, Because it was evil: Something evil happened at the séance, and something evil just happened to Sabrina, so she's trapped in the past. Everyone is too preoccupied to notice the strange promptness of his reply. No one wants to go through the séance again. Sabrina tells Elizabeth, Cyrus and Mrs. Collins (she means Angelique) are fascinated with the unknown. They don’t think that what is going on tonight is at all strange.

Cyrus is at the cottage to ask Bruno to come to the Great House and to tell him about the stranger's attack, the trauma, etc. He says, Dr. Long, the psychiatrist, has suggested that if she went through the séance again, it might make her all right. [Dr. Long joins the list of those who survive PT by remaining off screen.] Cyrus doesn’t want to do it, but Bruno says it couldn’t be done anyway, because Angelique isn’t there. He sits at the piano and starts playing the Ode to Angelique as he maunders, The séance was the last time I saw Angelique alive. She was the happiest I'd ever seen her. It was the last time our hands touched, he winds up, now almost in tears. Angelique died at the table that night, he says--or did she? Cyrus finally has had enough. Are you coming or not? he asks impatiently. We should ask Alexis to sit in for her late sister, Bruno suggests. What if she is Angelique come back from the dead? If she is, not even Angelique could keep her identity a secret. We are doing this because Sabrina is sick, Cyrus shouts, and not for your curiosity! Bruno is struck by Cyrus's attitude, which seems to imply that he feels somehow guilty about what happened to Sabrina, and that gets Bruno very interested.

As Roger addresses another monologue to Angelique's portrait, Alexis quietly comes up behind him. When he realizes he isn't alone, he nearly jumps out of his skin on seeing Angelique apparently back from the dead.

While Sabrina continues to rest, Quentin and Elizabeth discuss the séance. Quentin of course forbids the whole affair, and you'd think his word would carry some weight, since he is the Master of Collinwood. But it's totally useless for anyone to forbid anything at Collinwood because people always just go ahead and do it anyway. Elizabeth insists they have to do it for Sabrina--Maggie need not know about it. We have to talk about Maggie, Quentin grumbles.

Roger is having a hard time accepting that Alexis is Angelique’s twin. Everything about you is exactly the same, he insists. You will soon find out we are different, Alexis replies. She holds out her hand for him to touch, proving that she isn’t a ghost. He touches it and gazes at her in wonder. I am quite real, she assures him.

Quentin and Elizabeth have adjourned to the drawing room to discuss Maggie. I can’t believe what happened, Elizabeth says by way of a mild rebuke, adding, You should have asked Alexis to leave. Nothing goes well in this house, Quentin grouses. Elizabeth says, It’s we ourselves that make things happen. The pop-up brandy table makes its debut on the show as Quentin pulls up the top to reveal the glasses and decanters, and pours himself a drink. Think of poor Sabrina upstairs, Elizabeth urges him. It isn’t our responsibility, Quentin says. Maybe that’s why life is so difficult, Elizabeth opines. We don’t know what our responsibilities are. Quentin turns to make some cutting retort, but Roger and Alexis enter at that moment. Roger presents Alexis to his sister (the right way around), then Alexis leaves the room. As she steps into the foyer, Sabrina accosts her. It’s nearly midnight, she says. Isn’t that the time you set for the séance, Angelique? Alexis is stunned, and Quentin is about to explain when Bruno and Cyrus burst in. Quentin starts to yell at Bruno, but Bruno says it’s an emergency. Work your black magic somewhere else, Quentin says brusquely. At least let us take part even if you don’t want to, Cyrus pleads. Bruno invites Alexis to sit in: I thought Alexis would be fascinated to see the exact circumstances under which her sister died. Quentin grabs his lapels and starts to shake him. Please tell me what’s going on! Alexis exclaims.

Sometime later, in the drawing room, Sabrina has taken on the role of séance director and tells Elizabeth and Roger where to seat themselves around the table. Elizabeth still feels they must do it. Roger doesn’t want to, then relents.

Out in the foyer, Quentin, Bruno and Alexis are still discussing the first séance. I was told Angelique died of a stroke, Alexis comments. Yes--at the séance, Bruno answers. Alexis is shocked at this answer and finally says she is willing to take her sister’s place. Quentin is about ready to beat Bruno’s head in but relents. I won’t forbid it, he tells Bruno, as long as you leave the moment it’s over. Quentin stalks upstairs in a huff. [Later, when everyone is in the drawing room, we get a quick glimpse of David Selby going back downstairs.]

So we have a typical séance at Collinwood. (After all, there's at least one in each story line.) The participants (Sabrina, Elizabeth, Cyrus, Roger, Alexis, Bruno, empty chair for Quentin) sit around a table with their hands flat on the top and their pinkies touching. (As all DS fans know, this joining of hands must not be broken in order to for the séance to be effective.) [As Roger sits, an overhead mike comes briefly into view.] We hear the rumble of thunder. There was a storm that night as well, Bruno recalls. All the lights are out save for a solitary candle. Apparently as before, Cyrus does the honors, intoning, I call on the same spirit that came to us six months ago to visit us again. Whether the same one or no, a spirit takes over Sabrina, who points straight to Alexis and cries out, She has died! She is dying! Can't you see that she is dying? Murder! MURDER!! Pandemonium ensues. Alexis collapses onto the table in a faint as Sabrina continues screaming, Murder! MURDER!!!!.....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 02:19:44 AM »
Selby VO.  Welcome, respectable PT Roger in a suit, indistinguishable from RT Roger!  It's at this point where I usually figure that the writers forgot and just wrote him as regular Roger, or the wardrobe people and Louis E may have.  I like Lisa Richards in her seance obsessed state.  It made me think that she should have had a better role to play.  Murder!!  Alengelexis collapses, end.

[skelleton_runs] [skull_winks]

Still enjoying your eye for detail, DL!  What a ridiculous idea of Dr. Long's, to redo the seance.  What was the expected result, that it would be a sort of reset button for her sanity.... like having to play out a video game to the end, to get out of the current scenario? 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 06:48:14 AM »
Sabrina sits in a different chair in the opening redo. Quentin calls Elizabeth his sister, but the later remembers she is his cousin. Angelique died of a stroke during the seance. Sabrina seems much more animated and interesting as a flaked out seance hostess.  She mentions murder.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 03:12:29 PM »
Thanks, MT!

I agree that it's too bad Lisa Richards didn't get more to do. She screams about MURDER!!!!! very nicely.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 04:12:55 PM »
This is a very pivotal episode. Seven actors, especially when several of them would be needed in Tarrytown must have stretched the budget.
Sabrina seems to be suffering from a form of PTSD. Only on Dark Shadows would a seance be considered as a solution.
Some nice character bits here. Elizabeth seems genuinely concerned for Sabrina, with no ulterior motive, unlike her relationship with Maggie. Even more interesting is Roger's behavior. He isn't often nice to people and makes so catty remarks about Sabrina's trauma.
Lara Parker does some excellent work as Alexis. She's clearly a different type of character altogether but she's still capable of being angered and annoyed. Thus far, this hasn't resulted in any dire consequences for anyone else. We'll see if this holds true.
Alexis (and the audience) learn that Angelique died at a seance conducted six months earlier. She is understandably somewhat weirder out by this. Quentin seems more upset about having Bruno in the house that doing anything to help Sabrina. But he doesn't offer any alternative solution. He just throws another tantrum.
I would have liked to have seen a full flashback of the earlier seance. It sounds pretty juicy.
Anyway, the seance begins. Sabrina gets even weirder, screaming Murder! Alexis, who has probably never attended a seance before, gets overwhelmed and passes out. When I watched the episode originally, I thought that Alexis was dying, especially with Sabrina saying stuff like Can't you see she's dying. Well, it was a Friday cliffhanger and it certainly seemed possible.
Lisa Richards gets a chance to shine here. Her work in this storyline, as well as the last few weeks of the Leviathan period, is quite good. I'm sorry that DS didn't use her more often.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 07:38:32 PM »
I guess the tantrum mantle has been passed from Davis to Selby, lol.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 08:14:41 PM »
I guess they made the PT Master of Collinwood more volatile than RT Quentin to differentiate them a bit. But in either dimension, he seems to be a few cards short of a deck.

Uncle Roger, if I remember correctly, we may see a change in Elizabeth's attitude toward Maggie.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 08:31:18 PM »
Yes, Elizabeth [spoiler]soon has a change of attitude, if not heart. Her wardrobe also becomes less dowdy.[/spoiler]
Fade Away and Radiate