Author Topic: Blair Brown / Dogville  (Read 829 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Blair Brown / Dogville
« on: April 02, 2004, 08:23:43 PM »
Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to check out Dogville (if you weren't already planning to do so before learning of Blair Brown's casting as Liz). Today's review in the Village Voice says: "Blair Brown, Patricia Clarkson, Chloƒ« Sevigny, and Stellan Skarsgƒ¥rd are also seen to excellent advantage," and the IndieWire review says, "we are treated to the fine work of veterans like Lauren Bacall, Ben Gazzara, Harriet Andersson, Patricia Clarkson, Jeremy Davies, Chloe Sevigny, James Caan, Stellen Skarsgaard, and Blair Brown." And that's just a brief sampling of what the reviews are saying.  :)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re:Blair Brown / Dogville
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 11:16:50 PM »
I saw Dogville and am an appreciator of avante garde, independent film.  .and liked a few of Lars Von Trier's earlier fares but **this** was hard to sit thru. . 3 hours . .there were flashes of brillance but neither Blair nor Bacall are those moments unfortunately. . .Clarkson is very good as always, Kidman delivers an understated, affecting performance, Ben Gazarra is wonderful . .but overall Von Triers needs to find a **new** story . . . the same old same old about a woman being victimized over and over again is quite tiring.

Julia99, critic at large
Julia99

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 12:26:03 AM »
Interestingly, critics' opinions are currently running more than 2 to 1 in favor of Dogville. But don't you just love it when you completely disagree with the critical opinion? For instance, back in 1977 I didn't much care for Annie Hall, yet it was most definitely a critical favorite AND went on the win the Oscar for Best Picture. I keep telling myself that I should watch it again because maybe I was just too young to get it - but I never do get around to it. (About the only thing I even recall from the film and something I was amused by was when Diane Keaton let Woody Allen's character out of the car without even attempting to park anywhere near the sidewalk and he remarked something to the effect, "Don't worry, I'll just walk to the curb..." That was hysterical.  :D)

As for Dogville, I haven't seen it or any of von Trier's other films. But for what it's worth, both he and his films seem to be at the top of a lot of critics' favorites lists at the moment...

LorraineAAB

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 03:38:40 AM »
but overall Von Triers needs to find a **new** story . . . the same old same old about a woman being victimized over and over again is quite tiring.

Heh, sounds kind of like a recurrent theme from DS....

L.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 03:41:37 AM »
Lorraine,

Your PM and avatar are too funny!