Author Topic: Another chance to see Alec Newman  (Read 692 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Another chance to see Alec Newman
« on: April 01, 2004, 05:15:35 AM »
Once again from Patrick:

Here's another show to watch for with Alec Newman

Sci-Fi will be running a Dune and Children of Dune
marathon on Sunday April 11.

Dune pt 1 - 11am EDT
Dune pt 2 - 1pm EDT
Dune pt 3 - 3pm EDT
Children of Dune pt 1 - 5pm EDT
Children of Dune pt 2 - 7pm EDT
Children of Dune pt 3 - 9pm EDT

Also, a small correction on the times for the
remaining shows on the original list after this
Saturday - we start EDT, so be sure to change your
clocks Sat. night
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Another chance to see Alec Newman
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 01:24:44 AM »
Full page ad for Dune in the December 1, 2000 issue of Entertainment Weekly:

And their reviews for both Dune and Children Of Dune:

However, I've been researching other reviews for these miniseries and I'm not so sure they give an accurate picture of what Alec Newman is capable of doing. Many reviews cite the seemingly puzzling fact that John Harrison (writer/director for Dune, writer for Children Of Dune) chose to keep Newman's character very one note, while the character supposedly isn't that way in either the book or in the 1984 David Lynch film. Not having read the book, seen the Lynch film, or either of these minis, I have no idea what else to say on that. But considering these minis are running on Easter, it would seem like they might not be worth bothering with if the atrraction is simply to see Newman. And after having seen his performance in Tru Calling, I can say with certainty that he's definitely not a one note actor when he's given the right material with which to work.  ;)

LorraineAAB

Re:Another chance to see Alec Newman
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 06:29:44 AM »
If not for my son I would not have bothered with the minis---- I tried to read the book years ago because my brother loved stuff like that (Tolkien too).  It was just too dense for me at the time.  The earlier filmed version makes me squirm, though Sting still cracks me up in his over-the-top-and-back-again role.

I found myself VERY able to follow the convoluted plots in both series.  The relationship between Paul Atreides and his little sister Alia put me in mind of Barnabas's with Sarah--- [spoiler]and it ends up just as tragically, though in this case due to what happens because Alia lives to grow up.
I was kind of ticked that Paul couldn't let himself get emotionally involved with his bride, though she turned out to be quite noble in the end.

And yeah, granted the closeness of the twins is uncomfortable, but one assumes that's because they were never allowed to mingle with outsiders, and their mystical heritage.[/spoiler]  It's a mystical sci-fi fantasy, after all.  Like DS, one doesn't expect too much everyday natural behavior from the characters.

Upon the whole, I should say it's worthwhile---- certainly as much or more than, say, TAKEN  ::)