Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0758  (Read 2936 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0758
« on: April 15, 2009, 10:08:27 PM »

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Re: Discuss - Ep #0758
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 01:56:49 AM »
JB voice over, which lays out the duel to the death between  Laura and Angelique.   Back to the beginning of the ceremony with the scarab and the  Book of the Dead.  Is anyone else getting distracted by the fact that Selby keeps going up on tiptoe then back down during the ceremony (at least during the teaser)?   Must have driven the camera operator nuts keeping him in frame.  He’s really getting into the ceremony  and my warped sense of humor thinks all that’s missing is the Collinsport band playing “Give Me that Old Time Religion.”  [6283]

Looks like Jamison has what is David’s room in the present day.  We have the funky colored bedclothes again, and apparently Jamison sleeps with his dressing gown on over his nightshirt.  We see a human side of Judith again, as she’s the only one who heard Jamison calling out and is at his bedside.  

Meanwhile back at the Old House Quentin’s still in his religious rapture, until Angelique spots a sign  that  they’re losing.   Now they’re getting desperate,  Angelique wants them to go to Set for intercession, which terrifies Quentin.  Interesting how they’re differing from real Egyptian legend here, making Set the god of Death (sort of like Shiva).   LOL they DID get the “Killer of Osiris” part right, though.   Curious that they’re looking at calling on Set as calling out the big guns, when Ra and Set were really lateral, though rivals.  For those not heavily into Egyptology, here’s a link to some background on Set and Ra: http://www.thekeep.org/~kunoichi/kunoichi/themestream/set.html

And of course NO ONE thinks to lock a flipping door. AGAIN.   [90d1] So, Jamison is able to barge in and mess it all up, with Judith hot on his heels.

Henesy does a very good job here, the way he watches Quentin,  the look of shock and disappointment that his beloved uncle Quentin is doing something to his mother.  Interesting logic path the kid is on; if Judith sees the doll, she will know that the mean people were hurting his mother.  If it hadn’t so conveniently gone poof, it still would have been hard for him to sell Judith on the whole idea of what was happening. LOL and what is conveniently in the Old House when Jamison is lying on the couch?  The timetravelling afghan (black edged version).

Judith shows in these scenes that she really cares about Jamison and his welfare – probably more than his real parents do.  Edward occasionally shows it, but at least at this stage you can still wonder if it’s because it’s his son and heir as much as because Jamison is Jamison.  Judith cares about JAMISON.  

Angelique was very quick so add to the conversation and steer it away toward Laura’s affect on the boy, while Quentin essentially sits this one out.  It’s all Judith and Angelique – until Judith decides that Quentin might know something helpful, as she thinks HE knows her better than anyone else at Collinwood. Two points here:  Laura was apparently married to Edward 12 years and more, and Quentin is the one she thinks knows Laura best?  Judith’s Victorian maiden aunt sensibilities are showing here.  She’s probably got no idea that just because Quentin “knew” Laura physically, that doesn’t mean he knows – or had any interest in knowing -- anything about how her mind works.  Speaking of Edward, did I miss some mention of him being out of town?  We sure aren’t shown much of him taking an interest in his sick son.

Of course while all this goes on Jamison sneaks out, and Judith wants Quentin to search with her. He, however, has bigger worries and wants to stay with Angelique and discuss them.  (Uh, is it really rocket science to guess that he’s probably gone running to his mother?)

Great dialog in this scene.  They’re both smart people, and know what the failure of the ceremony means.  Wonder whether Quentin really thinks Angelique will be targeted first because of her powers, or whether he just feels safer himself if Angelique thinks she’s the target, thus protecting him as well as her with those powers. No matter which it is, he’s now Angie’s errand boy whether he likes it or not.  LP has a rare almost blooper here, as she gets tangled in the sentence about Jamison being safe until Laura settles with them and Barnabas.  LOL GOOD SHOT – telling Quentin he should be old enough by now to not care what his sister thinks!  [toothy9]

She’s got that cat ate the canary smile – whatever Angelique wants with that mirror, there’s a lot more to it than admiring her pretty self in that mirror.   [_witch_] But also, whatever it is, she doesn’t see any reason for Quentin to know about it.
Of course, Jamison is in the cottage with Laura, as she feeds him more lies about why everyone hates her.  Though there’s a lot of truth to Quentin being a weak man,  it’s a nice manipulation of Jamison who after all would be hard to convince to act against Quentin.   The kid of course isn’t going to think it through and realize that Quentin, etc  were acting against her before Angelique came on the scene.

OI and it seems neither Judith nor Quentin figured out the first place the kid would run was Laura?? ??  Script inspired convenient stupidity strikes again.   [6184] Of course if one of them had made the logical connection, it would have interrupted the scene we just saw.  Snicker on Judith thinking Quentin stayed behind to try and make time with Angelique.  That reputation of his is starting to backfire, and lol it’s a time when seduction games were the LAST thing on his mind.

Oh this scene with Laura and Judith annoys me.  It’s Judith’s house and she lets Laura boss her around?   [8311] They’re not in public, Judith shouldn’t need to put on a good show to avoid a scandal. The double standard was in its prime back then – Judith should see no problem letting Quentin in the house at will, at the same time treating Laura as a pariah to be ignored, and whose instructions are to be ignored.

OOPS – JB does the David/Jamison blooper. And Laura is going to tell THE SECRET, in the daytime when someone can check the evidence.  This time the cavalry to the rescue comes in the form of Angelique.  Coincidentally Laura happens to lose her voice just then – how convenient.  And that lovely undignified dash from the house.  [laughing3]

Amusing scene when they discuss what just happened.  LMAO on Quentin’s line “Laura lies so much.  It’s a wonder she hasn’t strangled on her lies by now.” Coming from HIM this is hilarious.  [spittake2]

Of course his next move is making up to Angelique.  “You’re very gifted you know, besides being beautiful, dangerous.  All the things  I like.  Why do you want Barnabas Collins  and not me?”  He’s SOO out of his league here; even after she tells him she loves Barnabas and not him, he still tries to snatch a kiss, which she nicely deflects by giving him his next set of instructions.  He can’t resist a few digs about finding out what’s going on, and being sent here and there.  Angelique points out she COULD make him, and he leaves.  LOL Angelique again comments on what a child he is, and what a surprise she has in store for him.  Meanwhile we see the still mute Laura, begging once again for Ra to help her.

Quentin goes to the Old House, and to his surprise  Angelique is still there, and long enough to have finished a hand of cards.  He’s confused, and says something about having left her “at the other place” (anyone know if this is weird writing or a real blooper?)  He finally shrugs it  off, with a comment about if he had her powers (then sighs about what if he did have such powers).  All she will tell him is that she wants him there with her when “it happens”.  Once again he’s confused, but keeps asking questions.  Looks like there was an oopsie when he backed away from her – not sure if he tangled his foot in the chair, but it seems he sat down real suddenly on that couch.

Laura continues her ritual, then we hear a scream and a cut to a shot of sheer horror on Quentin’s face, as we see Angelique enveloped in flames.   [kaiokn]

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 03:29:00 AM »
I was particularly struck by the beauty of the scenes with Quentin and Angeligue at the Old House.  I was reminded of the story Barnabas told Vickie of the building of the house and in this time one can see how that story matches the house.  I have to say that Magda did a better job of decorating and restoration  than Willie Loomis did in 1967. 
It was amusing to see Quentin in the subservient role and Angelique in her domination of him.  She seems to have really come into her own sense of self confidence in this time.   And as Pansity noticed our old friend the Afghan turned up again!
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 03:08:57 AM »
The ceremony by Quentin and Angelique is very exciting.  Weird, but exciting.

In the middle of it, Quentin said about Laura, "Ra needs her here still."  But honestly, I can't fathom why Ra keeps giving her aid and granting her more time.

Is anyone else getting distracted by the fact that Selby keeps going up on tiptoe then back down

LOL

Interesting how they’re differing from real Egyptian legend here, making Set the god of Death ...  LOL they DID get the “Killer of Osiris” part right, though.   Curious that they’re looking at calling on Set as calling out the big guns, when Ra and Set were really lateral, though rivals.

Sam Hall definitely took some liberties with the mythology.  When Quentin appealed to Set to show his green face to Laura, he seemed to be confusing Set with Osiris.

And of course NO ONE thinks to lock a flipping door. AGAIN.   [90d1] So, Jamison is able to barge in

If he's really like David, a locked door wouldn't stop him from getting inside.  [ghost_wink]

Oh this scene with Laura and Judith annoys me.  It’s Judith’s house and she lets Laura boss her around?   [8311]

I wonder if Laura was always pushy and impatient and demanding when she wasn't living on borrowed time.  I don't know how Judith sees her, but I find her to be intimidating as hell.

Yet her predictability may be the thing that makes her vulnerable.  Her enemies know precisely when she's going to make her next move (now).  They know that Jamison is safe while Laura focuses on them.  They know whom she's going to come after, and in what order-- Angelique first, because she's the most dangerous, then Barnabas, because he has powers of his own, and then Quentin (handily) for his part in the ceremony.  If the woman wasn't so scary, she'd be easy to beat at poker.

“You’re very gifted you know, besides being beautiful, dangerous.  All the things  I like."

I am so glad Beth wasn't around to witness that.  But how amusing that Q was hitting on Angelique as she leaned against Barnabas' portrait.  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 08:18:04 AM »
The ceremony by Quentin and Angelique is very exciting.  Weird, but exciting.

I would have to agree.  It's lovely! I like when they repeat lines after one another!

Is anyone else getting distracted by the fact that Selby keeps going up on tiptoe then back down during the ceremony (at least during the teaser)?

Just looking at that man distracts me! LOL

He's really getting into the ceremony  and my warped sense of humor thinks all that's missing is the Collinsport band playing “Give Me that Old Time Religion.”

I love your warped sense of humor! As the old 70’s song says, “Keep it coming love, keep it coming, love don't stop it now don't stop it no!!” Being a child who was required to attend church I am sitting here laughing out loud because that song was sang frequently.  Thankfully it won't be stuck in my head since I recited Keep It Coming by KC and the Sunshine Band!
VO:JB

I love Lara's huge eyelashes.  They look like 199’s! Take it from a former Female Impersonator; they are the some of the biggest one can get. ;)

There is a dark foreign object floating around.  LOL!  It annoys me that MPI hasn't made at least another blooper DVD, Lord knows they could.

One has to love David's excitement as he is doing a great job of selling this strange ceremony!  I love when He and Lara repeat lines after one another!

I wonder what substance they used to achieve the melting look?  It looks as if something is just squirted onto the lens of the camera, as it fades out a big ole gob rolls downs!

As Pansity pointed out that great blooper, “Has it to do with David~~Jamison!”  A little off subject but it cracks me up in 1795 when Alexandra call Daniel “David” and then it rubs off on poor Joan and she does the same thing.

Back on point:  Blue eyes all around, except for Joan and David H.  Oh Lord, Q has his hand on hips again! So sexy!!  It's just the little things!

Gosh—Lara’s eyes are so big!  It's great to see these blue eyed, blonde haired beauties duke it out!  I hope to see Lara's blue eyes up close in 2010!

FABULOUS EPISODE!

Side Noth: Is Diana still doing the Fests?  I wouldn't mind to meet her either!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 04:04:54 PM »
I like when they repeat lines after one another!

Oh me too.

Is Diana still doing the Fests?  I wouldn't mind to meet her either!!

She is, Taeylor, attending in '03, '04, '06 and '07 on the East Coast and in '05 in Hollywood.  She isn't on the guest list for '09, though in the past she has been added closer to the event.  Diana can be a bit of a diva, and entertaining if you haven't heard her stories before.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 10:10:51 PM »
I have heard about some of her the "diva" antics.  I am not throwing off on you using that word, but I have tried to restructure my language, and omit it for "difficult" people, because really a "DIVA" is a good thing! ;)  Again not being an ass!! I know exactly what you mean though!

Per Dictionary.com  Diva: a distinguished female singer!  :)  Like I said I am not being bitchy, you know I adore you Midnite!  Your my girl.  [ghost_wink] I just hate the way the word has been twisted in modern culture.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 10:23:36 PM »
It's no problem.  I'll try to remember to not use it since it bothers you.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 10:38:20 PM »
OMG!  I wasn't inferring that you shouldn't use it my dear.  It's your choice.  It doesn't bother me at all!    I regret posting that because I didn't want you to think me snotty!  Say Diva all you want sugar!! I promise...it will not bother me!  OKAY??

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 11:15:39 PM »
Okay.  :-*

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 03:38:46 AM »
When I was a kid, "diva" was used to mean: female opera star who might have a bit of an ego.   It took years for it to spread beyond opera.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 04:08:38 AM »
That is the original meaning Magnus!  [ghost_wink]

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 09:08:25 PM »
Just looking at that man distracts me! LOL

He ain't exactly chopped liver now, either.  [laughing_devil]

I love your warped sense of humor! As the old 70’s song says, “Keep it coming love, keep it coming, love don't stop it now don't stop it no!!” Being a child who was required to attend church I am sitting here laughing out loud because that song was sang frequently.  Thankfully it won't be stuck in my head since I recited Keep It Coming by KC and the Sunshine Band!

Thanks on the warped sense of humor. I get a kick out of  yours, too.  Specific thing I connected to was the way it was used in one of my favorite movies  Inherit the Wind[ghost_smiley]  Throughout the thing you have the townspeople and the band singing it, as protection against the eevils of Spencer Tracy's Clarence Darrow clone and his defendant.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 12:23:59 PM »
Angelique wanted Quentin to get her a mirror so she could [spoiler]create a doppelganger of herself.[/spoiler] When I first watched this episode, I was sad when Angelique was burned to death by Laura. But now that I know what really was happening, I find it all amusing. [ghost_cheesy] I love Angelique's green dress. [cheesyg] I also really enjoyed watching the fire. Great special effects! So exciting! [ghost_shocked]

Milestones:
1. Angelique saved Barnabas (again) by striking Laura mute just when she was going to tell Judith the secret. [milestone] Reminds me of when Cassandra struck David mute in 1968. Except this time, she was protecting Barnabas, and not herself. [ghost_wink]
2. Quentin almost kissed Angelique. [milestone] It was fun to watch him flirting with her. But she wouldn't have anything to do with him in that way. She just wanted to use him to save her man - Barnabas.

Quentin looked very handsome (as usual)! I loved the incantation, too, especially when Quentin and Angelique repeated the same lines. Quentin really got into it! Very compelling. [shkdg]

I found it fascinating that Jamison was able to run away when he was so sick. I rewound to find out if I could see him leaving. Of course, I couldn't. Angelique, Quentin, and Judith all had their backs to him, and all we could see was them. By the way, Henesy certainly did well in this episode, as well as everyone else. It was very endearing for Judith to be so caring for and worried about Jamison. Just like Elizabeth was to David. [hug]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 05:20:37 AM »
I wonder who was responsible for that great shot of Quentin and Angelique embracing against the portrait in the foyer as Barnabas in absentia looked down on them.   That's quite a cozy little menage a trois there!