Author Topic: DS Fans Behaving Badly  (Read 671 times)

David

DS Fans Behaving Badly
« on: September 04, 2014, 03:19:44 PM »
After decades of being subjected to hate and abuse from within the DS fandom sphere, I finally spoke up:
www.southfloridagaynews.com/Guest-Columnists/column-if-you-could-read-my-mind-2-the-darkest-shadow.html

DS fans have subjected to me to lies about my sex life and my HIV status, as well as jokes and snarky comments about mental illness--I have PTSD after surviving child abuse, which a number of DS fans continue to use as a weapon against me. I've had incidents, some quite recent, where DS fans deliberately tried to trigger my PTSD, then they laughed about how "crazy" I am.
I personally witnessed many incidents in which DS fans with AIDS, cancer and the physically disabled were subjected to the same kind of abuse.
While this is certainly an online phenomenon, these kinds of incidents have also happened quite frequently
during face-to-face encounters at the Festivals while the festival organizers looked the other way.

With one exception in 2008, I stopped attending Festivals in the late 90s. The hateful personal attacks have yet to stop.
I'm glad to see on Facebook that the publication of this piece has gotten others to speak up about their own experiences with fan-on-fan hate.
I hope we can open up dialogue here and address this topic, thereby changing things for the better.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: DS Fans Behaving Badly
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 12:41:38 AM »
I hope, David, that my words can be some consolation and support; I don't know if they are.  It's horrible what you and other DS fans have gone through at the hands of other DS fans (and "fan" comes from "fanatic," and we all know what fanatics can be like).  Like any other movement or whatever, DS fandom will have its nutwads.  I know it sound harsh to use that word, especially since I often work with people with certain emotional/behavioral disorders, but sometimes a nutwad is a nutwad.  There are people who go over the border, cross the line, (and now thanks to Vicki Lawrence ad-libbing in a Eunice and Mamma skit) play hockey with a warped puck or have splinters in the windmills of their mind.  Some people are simply zealous because they're, well, two flight above top floor or are approaching the tarmac with their landing-gear up.  They have issues and they seek out those they can dump on.  You've had to deal with them and you did so with bravery.  I'm sure others have had to as well. 

I attended only one DS festival, back in 2003, for one day in Brooklyn.  Everyone there was marvelous, at least everyone I interacted with.  When I was in line to meet TLATKLS and was shaking from anticipation, behind me was a gentlemen who, shall we say, left his lights on but nobody was home.  He wasn't like the cruel, vile people you and other have dealt with, but he left his curtains open with nobody inside.  When I started having a short talk with TLATKLS, he suddenly started piping up with bizarre things and because of my experience working with people with certain cognitive disabilities, I simply looked at him in earnest and held my hand up and he stopped.  He had even take TLATKLS momentarily off-guard, but when she saw how I was able to bring him down, she smiled.  Again, he wasn't one of those terrible people you've interacted with at festivals or on-line, but we know that there are some people who are DS fans who aren't exactly all there.

David, you're a wonderful DS fan.  You've done so much for the franchise.  There will be those DS fanatics who will feel threatened by you because they think they're in charge.  Well, that's their problem, and believe-you-me, they have a problem - as a matter of fact, a whole lotta problems.  Remove them from your life; ignore them; let them rant and rave on their own.  The only exception I would make to that is if you encounter any of them making fun of another DS fan because of a disability, orientation or whatever.  Let them have it right there and then.  Turn into Mamma and lay onto them every insult, derision and put-down you can and make them feel like sh*t.  I've done that in non-DS situations - it works wonders.  I've reduced people like that to tears and don't let up until they can't take it anymore.  They learn a lesson.  It doesn't matter if they've had bad life experiences that have made them the way they are and they try, during sobs, to explain that.  I don't give up and just tell them:  "We all have our sad stories."  It does work wonders and actually helps to heal them.  But, beyond finding yourself in that immediate experience, just ignore those folk and feel sorry for them.  Stay away from situations that make you a target.  Let them wallow in their own misery.

And don't forget, that Midnite and MB have made this site a wonderful place to discuss all things DS without all the drama.  Stay away from fazebook, nitwitter and other "social media" sites where it's open season with narcissistic losers who have no life and only want people to "like" and "friend" them.  Just stay here where everyone is welcomed, and those who don't want to welcome people aren't welcomed.

Gerard

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 04:18:02 AM »
There were lots of good times though, David. The Egypt trip with Diana was one of the top 100 high points of my life. It's not as high as I thought it was then. Now that I'm married,  have a daughter, and moved on in my career, the trip is not quite as significant as it once was compared to family events. Still, it was something I'll remember alll my life, and it would not have happened without the Festivals. You and I rubbed each other the wrong way sometimes, especially in the close quarters of the boat and the Egyptian heat, but I always liked and respected you, David. I was a bit of a pain too, with all the bad puns. That's more in control now LOL. I think you are wise to keep in touch with those who were good to you and avoid situations where you will come into contact with those who are not. I wish you nothing but the best.

David

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 10:38:14 PM »
Thanks guys.
The trip to Egypt was a high point of my life, that's for sure.

I had to speak up after a recent, completely unprovoked gangbang I was subjected to from people I have no relationship with, online or off. Even cast members have been on the receiving end of abuse from over-zealous fans.
I simply got tired of it all.
Now, with others speaking up here and elsewhere, thanks to my piece, the haters are getting a very loud and clear message.
And yes, this board is an oasis in the desert, as I noted in Fangoria last month. Thanks to Midnite, Dom & MB for that.