Poll

Which version of Quentin do you find the more involving and look forward to watching the most?

Human (Leviathans/Summer 1970)
4 (14.3%)
Ghost (1968/69)
24 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Good vs. Evil - Poll 1  (Read 2481 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Good vs. Evil - Poll 1
« on: July 03, 2003, 05:14:53 AM »
Which version of Quentin do you find the most involving and look forward to watching the most? As a ghost during 1968/69? Or as a human during Leviathans (and Summer 1970, for those who have seen that)?

(Note: The reason why 1897 is not being factored in is because that is probably Quentin's most interesting storyline for his fans, and the poll is looking for a view of this character other than one during his most popular storyline.)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Good vs. Evil - Poll 1
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 06:28:16 AM »
[spoiler]What about the insane human Quentin of 1995?  Though a brief role, I felt that he made a very compelling character.  IMO, this represented some of Selby's best acting on the show, and was such a contrast to Quentin's original tough, brash personality.[/spoiler]

ProfStokes

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 07:21:24 AM »
Well, as much as I liked seeing Quentin alive, talking, and being a part of the family (during the Leviathans)  it was really during the "Quentin as a ghost" storyline that really had me hooked and coming back for more.  I thought he was one of the most scariest ghosts around, not to mention evil and menacing, especially the way he treated David & Amy.  And of course who can forget the way he drove the whole family out of the house with his hauntings and evil laughter!  I loved the whole music thing also being introduced into the storyline.  By the time Barnabas was ready to go back into the past to investigate Quentin's life I couldn't wait to see what kind of a person he really was.  (and what he sounded like!!)

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 07:27:10 AM »
I didn't include
[spoiler]...the insane human Quentin of 1995[/spoiler]
for the very reason that he is [spoiler]insane, and therefore sort of a defective offshoot of the human Quentin. I wanted Good (human but not insane) vs, Evil. Let's save 1995 Quentin for the Sane vs. Insane poll - and we can do one of those for Joe too.[/spoiler]
[lghy]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 07:49:42 AM »
Does it have to be this Quentin?  I think I'd go for the 1840 Quentin.
Josette

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 12:54:02 PM »
Loved the Quentin story line as a ghost.  As Cassandra said truly one of the scariest story lines on DS and it doesn't lose it 35 years later.

Of course, I would love to take the human Quentin home with me.  Don't tell my husband.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 02:56:56 PM »
 Quentin as a ghost, haunting Collinwood.[evild]
MM

Offline Nicole

• Junior Poster
  • ...But I look so innocent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2003, 05:25:18 PM »
Ghost Quentin is so much more compelling than Human Quentin.  Ghost Quentin has some sense of purpose (take the house, take the kids, etc) while Human Quentin's purpose seems to be stand around and try not to get into anyone's way (and failing at this, of course).  Watching post-1897 Quentin can be really painful because it's hard, at least for me,  to watch a once proud, intriguing character being turned into the male equivelent of the helpless ingenue.  He's still easy on the eyes but he's not as fun.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2003, 08:23:53 PM »
     When I saw Quentin's ghost for the first time since I was a child, he still gave me the creeps.   Without speaking, he exuded malevolence that left me chilled.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2003, 11:48:00 PM »
How about Quentin as Grant Douglas, man of mystery?  Okay, we all know that he liked to chill out at the Kit Kat Lounge in nearby Rockport, ME,(and that he wore snazzy suits that Bruno Hess would have killed for!), but what adventures could Quentin/Grant have experienced during the nearly 72 years that he was traveling around the world?  Hey, maybe someone could write a book on those so-called "lost years of Quentin"?   

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2003, 02:30:10 AM »
Were 1840 Quentin and 1841PT Quentin left off the poll because they were human and had no evil ghosts to compare to?  And what about PT1970 Q?  They all had some "bad" qualities that made them more interesting ...

I liked the ghost Quentin better than Quentin in Leviathan mostly because of the storyline.  Q1970 didn't have anything much to do.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2003, 03:11:13 AM »
Were 1840 Quentin and 1841PT Quentin left off the poll because they were human and had no evil ghosts to compare to?  And what about PT1970 Q?

That - and the fact that they're completely different characters from ghost/1897 Quentin. ;)

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2003, 01:28:19 AM »
How about Quentin as Grant Douglas, man of mystery?  Okay, we all know that he liked to chill out at the Kit Kat Lounge in nearby Rockport, ME,(and that he wore snazzy suits that Bruno Hess would have killed for!), but what adventures could Quentin/Grant have experienced during the nearly 72 years that he was traveling around the world?  Hey, maybe someone could write a book on those so-called "lost years of Quentin"?   

That's a good one!  I too would love to know just what he was doing for tlhose 72 years in between??   Maybe he doesn't want to remember. ;)

My favorite is the haunting of Quentin at Collinwood.   And as Cassandra had mentioned in her post,  he was truly one of the scariest ghosts around back then.  Those eyes were the most evilest I had seen on the show then, so cold, mean, and evil.  You could tell he definetely was an angry ghost!!

Deb

Offline Trask

• Dark Shadows will outlive us all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2003, 04:05:17 AM »
I too thought that Quentin made a particularly spooky ghost...certainly one of my favorites -- right up there with Mr. Malloy...

Trask

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2003, 01:49:03 PM »

yes good one Bob we know he really wasn't searching for Amanda
as she would like to think as i believe she wasn't too hard to find! LOL

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV