Author Topic: Rebecca/Ep 1022  (Read 700 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Rebecca/Ep 1022
« on: March 23, 2016, 05:56:44 AM »
Reading Robservations Ep 2022.

Now Q's bitching about the 'ball'.

Next, I've only seen this story arc 1 1/2 times, and not recently. I really don't remember Ang calling 'Hoffman' Julia so often, just Hoffman.

That made me think, what is Mrs. Danvers' first name. Went to IMDb, doesn't mention. Went to askdotcom, and it again says it's never mentioned, as is also not the 2nd Mrs. DeWinter's first name.

But could swear in "Rebecca", when Mrs. Danvers is showing the 2nd Mrs. DeWinter the first Mrs. DeWinter's room, and dressing table, Danvers says 'they' would go to parties all night, and Rebecca would say "___________________" oh what they told me. Brush my hair more _____________.

Half tempted to pop in "Rebecca" soon.

I think the first Mrs. D referred to her as 'Dannie' (short for Danvers).

I'd like to smack Ang's face at this point.

Out of: Dameon, Aristede, and another dude?, who reminds you most of the character played by George Sanders?

And, Rebecca 'kept a flat in London'. These dudes may have been 'randy', but they knew the $$$$$$ that Quentin/Maximillian had.

Cyrus is obviously the nice gentleman who handles Max's estate.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Rebecca/Ep 1022
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 07:08:03 PM »
Mrs. De Winter is not given a first name in the book or the movie.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 07:35:35 PM »
the second Mrs. De Winter is very deliberately NOT given a name.

it says she doesn't matter. she only exists in the shadow of the first Mrs. De Winter. she herself is unimportant. inconsequential. nothing.

this omission is very important to the plot.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 08:40:49 PM »
Hi Patti,

People who knew Danvers well did call her Danny.  Besides Rebecca, this included her forever half-drunk would-be boyfriend (can't recall character's name).  The equivalent of the latter on the DS story is Bruno.

Chris Collins, played by Don Briscoe, was meant to be the estate manager on the PT 1970 grounds, but when Don became ill and had to leave, Cyrus eventually stepped into a role as Quentin's close friend who provided advice or just a friendly ear.

Two adaptations of Rebecca that I think are very much worth watching are one from, I think, the late 70s or early 80s with Jeremy Brett and Anna Massey (as Danvers), and another one from the 1990s with Dame Diana Rigg as Danvers.  The downside of the latter version is that Charles Dance was cast as Maxim but was really too old for the part, unfortunately, though I thought his acting was very good in it.

If I recall correctly, the 1990s version also has Faye Dunaway in a kind of stunt cameo role as the loudly vulgar American plutocrat who is "her" (the heroine's) original employer.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 09:09:18 PM »
This Youtube playlist comprises the complete circa 1979 adaptation of REBECCA with Jeremy Brett:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMLYwPUw6iE&list=PLA4C9E9D7B9BAF20B

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 09:09:42 AM »
Reaching for dimmest sort of memory... did George Sanders snipe at No-Name Wife #2, as Roger did?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor