Author Topic: isolating parts of quotes  (Read 1163 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
isolating parts of quotes
« on: March 22, 2005, 02:56:52 AM »
my question is how does one isolate only a line or so of someone else's quote and insert it in your post?i know how to use the reply with quote option but it uses the entire post which can take up alot of space.
i see other people use just a part of anothers quote here all the time.how does one do it?

p.s.the board is looking fancier and fancier.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: isolating parts of quotes
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 03:07:33 AM »
my question is how does one isolate only a line or so of someone else's quote and insert it in your post?

The only way to do it is to edit out the parts you're not responding to, or to break the post up into separate parts if you want to respond to different parts individually. (see the example at the end of my replay.  :))

p.s.the board is looking fancier and fancier.

We try.  ;)

As an example of what to do, here's what the above portion of my reply to you looks like:

Code: [Select]
[quote author=mscbryk link=topic=7267.msg62752#msg62752 date=1111456612]my question is how does one isolate only a line or so of someone else's quote and insert it in your post?[/quote]

The only way to do it is to edit out the parts you're not responding to and/or to break the post up into separate parts if you want to respond to different parts individually. (see the example at the end of my replay.  :))

[quote]p.s.the board is looking fancier and fancier.[/quote]

We try.  ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 03:26:32 AM »
An alternative to using the long code such as this one that appeared after I clicked the quote button in your post:
[quote author=mscbryk link=topic=7267.msg62752#msg62752 date=1111456612]TEXT[/quote]
is to type this instead:
[quote]TEXT[/quote]
which looks like this after it's posted:
TEXT

It's not a link to your original post but it does attribute the quote to you, and that's often enough when a quoted post is nearby.

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 04:17:04 AM »
This also works "[ quote ]then paste the line you want to quote here[ / quote ]"   without the spaces. the word author isn't actually necessary in the script from what I've learned... ~DJ

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 06:01:47 AM »
This also works "[ quote ]then paste the line you want to quote here[ / quote ]"   without the spaces. the word author isn't actually necessary in the script from what I've learned... ~DJ

That works to isolate a quote, but I'm guessing you've never posted on a Newsgroup.  Can you say "peer pressure"?   :o

Anyway, quoting selectively and clearly, citing the source of a quote, and commenting after the quote are all standard BB quoting styles.  And only because we're on the subject, it's also considered very unnecessary to quote posters' signatures at the end of their postings (unless, of course, you're commenting on the actual signature).

And I'm going to take this opportunity to also suggest  :P that posters who wish to advertise their own sites in their posts are welcome to do so, but tacking it onto a message that doesn't discuss the site takes up server space, yet this can be avoided if they'd put the invitation/advertisement in their signature instead.

Sorry, mscbryk.   :-X