Author Topic: Microsoft Issues Critical Windows, Exchange Updates  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Microsoft Issues Critical Windows, Exchange Updates
« on: October 16, 2003, 09:31:07 PM »
Microsoft Issues Critical Windows, Exchange Updates

(If you're running Win2k, be sure to check out the second post on the feedback forum. Apparently even while Microsoft is trying to fix its own flaws, they still manage to screw things up.  ::))

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Microsoft Issues Critical Windows, Exchange Updates
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 09:37:33 PM »
..... Apparently even while Microsoft is trying to fix its own flaws, they still manage to screw things up.  ::))

...he says with his usual glee.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 09:53:38 PM »
..... Apparently even while Microsoft is trying to fix its own flaws, they still manage to screw things up.  ::))

...he says with his usual glee.

No, not glee. If it had been glee, I would have used a laughing smiley rather than the eye rolling one. No, it's more like said with utter amazement at how Microsoft continually shoots themselves in the foot while claiming they're software is the best in the industry. If theirs is the "best," I don't want to go anywhere near the worst!  [lghy]  <-- Now THAT was a gleefully sarcastic remark!  [b003]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 10:01:51 PM »
I stand corrected.  [8341]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 07:55:07 AM »
I read about these problems Wednesday night.  I hated to go to their site, as it sometimes seems confusing to determine which, if any, downloads are needed.  I was surprised that the automatic update for XP hadn't come up.  So, I went to update on my own, found the 5 critical downloads, but then another 11 in another category and 1 driver.  I have no idea if I needed most of those, but was afraid not to get them - so downloaded and installed the whole thing - took a few hours - and it apparently made some changes in the way XP is working!!!
Josette

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 08:28:35 AM »
A different issue, but I was having fits tonight.  As my e-mail was downloading a McAfee notice popped up to say it found a virus and deleted it.  However, no more messages downloaded.  If I tried to start downloading again, I got a message that the folder was being processed and I should wait.

Everytime I closed Netscape and started again it would work again, but the virus always came up first and I went through the whole process again.  Meanwhile I kept getting messages that I had more and more mail (15, then 17, then 19 messages).  I figured they were primarily spam, but there could always be something that mattered in there.

I finally got through to Earthlink and he said that even though it was deleted from my end, their server thought it was still there and so kept trying to send it.  He was able to get into my mail and delete it.  It still happened - turned out there was a 2nd one!!  Once that was taken care of, all 17 messages came through, and sure enough - 1 WAS important!!

What a relief - I was really panicking!!
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2003, 01:58:49 PM »
I finally got through to Earthlink and he said that even though it was deleted from my end, their server thought it was still there and so kept trying to send it.  He was able to get into my mail and delete it.  It still happened - turned out there was a 2nd one!!

What "fun"!  [wink2]