Author Topic: Oh My GOSH!!!!!  (Read 793 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Oh My GOSH!!!!!
« on: February 14, 2004, 07:54:35 PM »
So, there's nothing on tv today; there's a tape my father-in-law had taped/mailed me a few mos. ago, I said, why not.

When I opened the package....HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS!!

I believe I've seen parts of it once; didn't really remember it.

First...the beginning...sensory overload!!

You hear the 'regular' music, and you see TLATKLS, but....it's in a 'different' place....aaahhh!!! (Beautiful set.)

Not too long in it, I genuinely thought of our Mysterious Benefactor; when he was a lad seeing this in the movie theatre, did he have to waste his 50 cents on a bag of popcorn (I'm presuming that when he saw Jeff Clark with Maggie, he must've hurled!!!  [puke]

Let's see...WHERE WAS MRS JOHNSON??? >:( faux housekeeper...yuck!

At the end, I watched the credits...uh, somehow I missed seeing Terry Crawford. I did see HAA and Jerry Lacy (yeah!!)

I hope this has been terribly, terribly edited through the years, cause, uh, well, I've seen better. You'd be meeting Barn for the first time, poof! next scene, Carolyn is saying, "Shouldn't the guest of honor be ready for his party?" Okay, I guess we're giving long lost cuz a howdy-dowdy party???

I have vague memories of Carolyn, David playing handball in 'the old swimming pool'. (Funny, I don't remember a swimming pool, yet alot of good fan-fic mentions it.) I also remember Barn turning old, but these are the only parts I remember.

Still, it was cool to see.

It was great; a DS movie, lots of Valentine's chocolate, hey, how cool 8).

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Oh My GOSH!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 08:33:02 PM »
Not too long in it, I genuinely thought of our Mysterious Benefactor; when he was a lad seeing this in the movie theatre, did he have to waste his 50 cents on a bag of popcorn (I'm presuming that when he saw Jeff Clark with Maggie, he must've hurled!!!  [puke]

No popcorn, Patti (didn't want to take my eyes off of the screen the first time I saw it). Though I did appreciate the stretches of the film when Jeff isn't around.  ;)

Let's see...WHERE WAS MRS JOHNSON??? >:( faux housekeeper...yuck!

Clarice Blackburn was appearing on The Secret Storm when hoDS was filming and she couldn't get away. So, Barbara Cason (Dennis Patrick's wife) took over the role of Mrs. Johnson.

I hope this has been terribly, terribly edited through the years, cause, uh, well, I've seen better. You'd be meeting Barn for the first time, poof! next scene, Carolyn is saying, "Shouldn't the guest of honor be ready for his party?" Okay, I guess we're giving long lost cuz a howdy-dowdy party???

Well, it's not edited in the sense that additional scenes were originally shown in theaters. If what your father sent you was the VHS and not something he taped from the TV (TBS used to show an edited version - though it was edited for violence), what you saw on the tape is exactly what originally played on screen. But some scenes were filmed that would have fleshed the characters and situations out better - it's just that DC decided not to include them in the final edit. After all, who needs little things like character development or even an adequate explanation of the relationships between some of the characters, right?  :-   (At the start of the film, some people unfamiliar with DS have actually wondered if Roger and Liz were husband and wife rather than brother and sister.)

But anyway, what you describe - meeting Barnabas and then Carolyn visiting him at the Old House and mentioning the party is exactly the way it should be. Or let me rephrase that: it's exactly the way the film has always played out...

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 09:26:49 PM »
TLATKLS?

I know KLS is for Kathryn Leigh Scott, but what does TLAT stand for?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 09:35:53 PM »
That would be "The Lovely And Talented"....KLS!!  ;)

Has ANYONE heard from Ringo Collins (the creator of the above title) lately?  It's been such a long time since he dropped in... :'(
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 09:36:03 PM »
T=the
L=lovely
A=and
T=talented
K=Kathryn