Author Topic: Complete Original Series April 10 on DVD  (Read 14726 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Original Series April 10 on DVD
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2012, 02:34:33 AM »
Thanks for posting the wonderful pics. It seems you found a home for it. I'm still trying to figure out where I should display it.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2012, 12:29:33 AM »
MPI is at it again. I'll just leave it at that. Now there will be two coffins box sets. http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dark-Shadows-The-Complete-Original-Series/16735

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2012, 01:23:22 AM »
Wow - interesting.

So the only thing different about the Limited Edition is the Frid card and the serial number. And that's what makes it a limited edition. And even without them the second edition will still cost the same as the Limited Edition. Hmmm. But then, this is MPI we're dealing with, so none of that really surprises me. Though I'm betting that people who are willing to wait a while before ordering until places like Amazon and deepdiscount.com have sales will be able to get the second edition for a lot cheaper...

Thanks for the link, jimbo.  [snow_smiley]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2012, 02:06:20 AM »
Well put MB. Yesterday or so Amazon started again selling the complete DVD complete series box set. Although it says its the limited edition version I wonder if it really is as I am not sure if Amazon got the latest memo. Leave it to MPI to.......

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2012, 06:05:05 AM »
About the rerelease of the individual sets, I'm a bit confused. They're saying they'll be repackaged in slimline cases, but I wonder if they actually mean amarays like the ones in the complete set that hold 4-6 discs per. I've also heard from multiple sources that the contents of the individual sets will be identical to the original releases, and this baffles me. If they've restored the Bathia Mapes episode, how difficult would it be to include that episode in the rereleased sets? Anyway, I like the looks of the new packaging, I'm all for consolidation. and I'm looking forward to finding out what the spines look like.

Great news about the unlimited release of the complete set, too. I waited too long and I think they're mostly gone. I've thought about building a little wooden replica of the coffin Barnabas used in the original series and housing the discs in there. The South Park casket is a little hokey looking.

One more question about the complete set: besides the Mapes blooper, are there any supplemental video interviews, featurettes, etc, or is it all previously released?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2012, 06:12:40 AM »
* I meant exclusive to the boxed set, aside from all the original supplements previously released on the idividuals sets
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2012, 06:21:09 PM »
People need to be careful that this "Deluxe Edition" is not the limited edition of 2500 sets. It is misleading because Amazon seems to group this with the limited edition box set in its full description. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PZ6SYK?tag=tvshowsondvdcom&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=B007PZ6SYK&creative=373489&camp=211189

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2012, 04:44:33 PM »
So the DS original series box set has sold out. That is cool. Maybe that will help get the restored original movies released sooner.
May you die before you want too.

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Dan

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2012, 01:49:18 AM »
A friend also sent me links today of reviews on DVD Talks of the inaccurately named "Fan Favorites" DS set (I think of the titling as misleading, as we have heard nothing about any polling of fans on our favorite episodes to craft this selection), and the "Best of Barnabas" set (9 episodes, each with a very short intro from Lara Parker).  I only had time to glance quickly at the reviews--I think they were done by the same critic who gave very high marks to the megaset.  He pointed out that only diehard fan completists should bother spending money on the "best of" sets and in one of the reviews pointed out that the selection would be like sending a friend a few favorite chapters--or even pages from chapters--of books in the Harry Potter series. With no context, the excerpts don't really make much sense to the casual viewer.

I presume the "Fan Favorites" set also has intro segments for each show, but don't recall seeing mention of who taped those.

G.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2012, 05:54:50 PM »
So I had decided to go for the complete box set from Amazon when it became available again a few weeks ago.  I received it yesterday, and it looks great!  (Haven't watched any of the episodes yet, though, lol).  I just got an e-mail from Amazon saying the price went down to $389, and they have the price guarantee, so that was very pleasant news.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2012, 06:29:27 PM »
(Yes, I love when that happens at Amazon. I've ended up ultimately saving quite a bit on several DVD/Blu-rays because of their price guarantee.)

My copy of the set still says "Shipping Soon."  [easter_sad]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 12, 2012, 03:02:29 AM »
A fan who bought the megaset just posted a video showing how the box looks, the episode guide, etc. on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAeZ2_hGESM

G.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #133 on: April 12, 2012, 03:12:52 AM »
Yep, that's what it looks like!  Interesting that my postcard was signed with one of those silver poster markers, instead of a red one.  Mine was #1468 of 2500.  I hope yours ships soon, MB!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2012, 06:25:41 PM »
I hope yours ships soon, MB!

Thanks madscntst - mine finally shipped very early this morning and it's supposed to arrive on Monday, which is pretty fast considering I chose free shipping. However, it's shipping from a city that I've never had anything shipped from - and it's only two states away, so I suppose that's how it will supposedly get to me so quickly.

I also received the e-mail that the price was dropped to $389. But what's really interesting about that is I see where one of Amazon's partners is charging $799.99, which is like $200 OVER list price! Someone would really have to want a copy of the limited edition to pay $200 more for it! But as insane as that is, one other partner is charging $895 and another is charging a whopping $1,100!!  [easter_shocked]

It's also interesting that Amazon is charging $524.99 for the Deluxe Edition even though they'd dropped the Limited Edition to $389.  [easter_huh]  Though they may eventually drop the price there as well...