Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0061  (Read 1470 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0061
« on: September 26, 2011, 10:38:58 PM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0061
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 11:33:17 PM »
Guilt has finally caught up to Sam. I’m surprised he made it this far.

Strangest line:
Mr. Wells: “House rules, them that puts in, gets out--nobody else.”
Shouldn’t that be them that puts out gets in? Heh, heh…
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 12:25:51 AM »
Heh heh also, Janet....

60s TV logic from Burke: "I could be wrong... but I'm not!"   In other words, you couldn't be wrong...  Now I have the Eagles' "Victim Of Love" going through my head, where they sing that... Do people actually say that?   Does it work the other way:  I can't be wrong, but I am?   

Mr. Wells appears sans the lampshade that Lydia made me imagine.   Wells, safe, letter:  Apparently there's no house rule against gossiping about the letters he puts in the safe.   He should read them first... you know, the make the gossip juicier.

It doesn't show onscreen, but Mr. Wells has begun the process of dissolution.   He's now listed in the credits as "Hotel Clerk".   Maybe the name is always the first to go, when you're fading from the world of DS.   If he's fast, maybe he can obtain a regeneration pod, like those Sam 1 and Matthew 1 got their four hands on.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 02:04:42 AM »
Burke had a lot of guts to call Sam on what happened years ago, but did he really think Sam was going to up and confirm Burke's story, especially in front of his daughter and Vicki? Sam is feeling guilty but his running away is only confirming what Burke already suspects...that Sam does have some knowledge of what happened in the case that sent Burke to jail.

Perhaps Sam should have left his letter in a safety deposit box in a bank. He'd probably have had an easier time getting his hands on the letter.

Burke mentions that there was a time when Sam practically had to beg him to come over. I actually can imagine them having been good friends at one time, so it is kind of sad to see how Sam's guilt and Burke's vendetta has all but destroyed that friendship now.

Poor Maggie had to listen to all this mess about the manslaughter trial, ruining her dinner party. I can understand Burke wanting to tell his side of the story, but he came off as an out-and-out bully at the cottage. Didn't want to ruin her dinner party, really Burke? Then perhaps you should have picked a better time and place to confront Sam.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 06:09:49 AM »
Sam pulled the ol' gotta-go-to-the-kitchen-for-more-booze ruse to make his escape.

Mr. Wells: “House rules, them that puts in, gets out--nobody else.”
Shouldn’t that be them that puts out gets in? Heh, heh…
LOL!

Mr. Wells has begun the process of dissolution.   He's now listed in the credits as "Hotel Clerk".   Maybe the name is always the first to go, when you're fading from the world of DS.
Maybe the sheriff should hold an Inn-quest?
(Ulp, I can't stop punning.)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 09:53:33 AM »
I suppose TV shows like this wouldn't exist if characters like Vicky and Mr. Wells and Sheriff Patterson didn't talk too much, but that doesn't stop me from getting annoyed.  The funny thing is, Maggie's supposed to be the town gossip (isn't she?) but I never feel she talks too much.  I'd definitely like to see Maggie and Mr. Wells sit down for a good gabfest.  Part information exchange, part competition - it would be wonderful.

I felt a bit more sympathy for Burke today than I did the only other time I've watched this episode.  He was very, very rude, but on the other hand, what is spoiling a dinner party compared to getting away with murder?  And Burke is certain that Roger murdered Bill Malloy, just as Roger was certain that Burke removed the bleeder valve from his car.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 03:37:03 PM »
No wonder nobody ever eats on this show. The dinner conversation is enough to ruin anyone's appetite.

Poor Mr. Wells, hanging out at the reception desk, gossiping to his heart's content. Too bad we didn't get to see Maggie giving him the letter.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 04:08:34 AM »
I felt a bit more sympathy for Burke today than I did the only other time I've watched this episode.  He was very, very rude, but on the other hand, what is spoiling a dinner party compared to getting away with murder?  And Burke is certain that Roger murdered Bill Malloy, just as Roger was certain that Burke removed the bleeder valve from his car.

[spoiler]And Burke was just as wrong about Roger killing Malloy as Roger was about Burke trying to kill him.[/spoiler]

I don't have a problem with Burke confronting Sam, but there IS a time and place for everything. Burke had nothing to back up his accusations other than his word, and just whom did he think Maggie was going to want to believe, him or her father?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 06:23:38 AM »
I don't have a problem with Burke confronting Sam, but there IS a time and place for everything. Burke had nothing to back up his accusations other than his word, and just whom did he think Maggie was going to want to believe, him or her father?

For Burke, time was up and patience was gone, and propriety was irrelevant.   At this point, Burke was at a total dead-end with no weapon left in his arsenal but total confrontation and provocation.   Push Sam off balance enough, and he might panic and confess.   As far as Burke was concerned, I think, the more uncomfortable he made things for Sam, the greater the chance that he'd break, and spill everything.   Confronting him with his daughter there might just have done it, if Sam hadn't fled.

Sam can prevaricate and stall forever.   He's proven that.  Roger can keep the stone wall up forever.   Honestly, I think the next step for him after this might be beating up Sam or Roger.  I think he's got the sense not to, but he's going to come close.  Burke's at a total impasse.   He can't let that continue.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 06:09:35 PM »
Roger looks out the open Drawing room window clearly deep in thought.
Sam goes to Burke's room and surprise wants a drink.  Sam denies killing Bill.  Really? I'd have thought he'd jump at the chance to confess to Burke.  Money, Booze, and not having to work mean more than freindship to Sam.  Maggie earlier said that it all went wrong ten years ago, but Sam had to have all these tendencies before that.  She was probably too young to notice and then the money made it easier for him.  Since the money is apparently now all gone, it doesn't seem to bother Sam that he is living off Maggie. 
Vickie returns to Collinwood and Roger compells her to reveal the secrests of the dinner party and Burkes version of the killling.
Vickie says she knows Roger lefdt at 10:35 because she heard the door close.  How does she know someone wasn't coming in or just checking outside?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 06:28:13 PM »
Well, Sam refused more money from Roger this time, and is consumed with guilt over having taken it before.   Still, if he is as you say he is, alwaysdavid, it would explain why middle-aged Sam keeps claiming to be an old man, so he could call his existence "retirement".   He doesn't claim to be retired though.   Actually, his real work is as an artist, and when he tries to work, that's what he works at.   I'm not sure he'd be any more successful working at the hardware store or something, in his state.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 06:36:55 PM »
Money, Booze, and not having to work mean more than freindship to Sam.  Maggie earlier said that it all went wrong ten years ago, but Sam had to have all these tendencies before that.  She was probably too young to notice and then the money made it easier for him.  Since the money is apparently now all gone, it doesn't seem to bother Sam that he is living off Maggie.

I think you're being a bit too harsh on Sam here.

I think if it weren't for Maggie, I believe Sam would have come clean with Burke a long time ago...but he just does NOT want to risk losing the only person he has in his life.

I bet Sam was always a drinker, but I do believe it wasn't until Burke's trial and the aftermath of it was when it started to get out of control. Sam does feel guilty about what happened to Burke, and his part in it...but right now he's choosing to run away from it through booze rather than own up to it. Not a very healthy or honorable way to deal with it, I admit.

I do think Sam would live with himself a lot better if he did come clean with Burke. But later on we do learn that Sam had good reason or at least thought he had good reason for [spoiler]not clearing Burke. His wife was sick at the time and used the money Roger gave him for his silence for her medical bills.[/spoiler]

I'm not saying this absolves Sam from owing up to his responsibility in the manslaughter case but I don't believe he'd be acting the way he is if he didn't know in his heart about the mistakes he has made, both recent and in the past.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 06:33:44 PM »
I'm not sure I particularly like Burke, but I feel it's wrong to send anyone to prison for a crime they didn't commit.  Sam apparently had the knowledge of this and didn't come forward to clear a supposed good Friend.   Maybe there is more to Sam's backstory to be revealed as to his motivations.  Usually an artist paints, because he has a passion for it.  Sam seems to be only interested in a commission.  It's hard to believe that in a tourist town that is an artist's colony, that Sam is not selling work that is obviously worthwhile from what we see on screen (Except the starting of the Burke painting which is horrendous).  Why are his paintings not on display in an art gallery?  why isn't he painting all the time? My grandmother was among many things an artist and she painted all the time in her spare time, taught art classes, and was displaying her artwork, selling lots of it and she certainly didn't need the money as Sam does.  Everything Sam does seems to revolve around his alcoholism  as it should.  Some of the typical things he does are to refuse a drink and then later accept it and to try and get others to drink with him.
Of course when Art Wallace leaves, and new writers come in, things will undoubtably change in the motivations of the characters.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times