Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0841  (Read 1564 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0841
« on: November 25, 2014, 06:52:02 PM »
Robservations #841

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0841

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 07:24:19 PM »
I wonder who did the voiceover.  My notes indicate it was the letter "pi", or that's what the actor's sloppily written two initials look like to me now.  Petofi has the Dream Curse!  Opens several doors anyway...  The whole thing would be silly, except for the singing, which really sells it.  The set isn't much, candles mainly, but put together with Thayer's fear, the chanting, and ... I don't know, but it all works.  We get history or a bit of culture with "Men Of the Woods" and the untranslated words that I missed.  It just occured to me that it was clever to avoid showing an elaborate gypsy tribunal that they couldn't afford, by having him out in some corridor, and the suspense is there that way.

Barnabas inadvertantly shoots Julia.  This trick was used on the Avengers earlier...  Steed avoided shooting Mrs. Peel by unpredictably entering the room through the window rather than the door, even without having any inkling of the trap.  "New habit... coming in through windows!" he says, as he comes in...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:37:23 PM »
My notes say that Terry Crawford did the VO.

If only the Room of Doors looked this good or had such fine actor visitors, the whole Dream Curse would almost have been interesting. (Although of course, Stokes made the best visitor.)

I've always wondered about that fine Hungarian (I assume) men's chorus--they are really swell. They and TD's portrayal got this whole thing across. Who needs a whole lot of extras for a gypsy tribunal anyway?

Love Aristede's sheer enjoyment as he sets the trap for Barn. His materials consist of a pistol, a roll of wire, and a spool of what looks like clothesline. Julia can’t help staring in terror as Aristede starts to unroll the line. Why, Doctor, he laughs, you may die of curiosity before I even get to you. This idea seems to entertain him, but Julia gasps in dismay as she begins to guess his plan.

Barnabas is waiting in the same spot in the woods when Beth runs to him. Julia _is_ at the mill, she gasps. He’s--he’s going to kill her! she says, still catching her breath. You must go as quickly as you can! What about Petofi? Barnabas asks, and Beth reports, He isn’t there. Fervently Barnabas says, Beth, thank you. I am very grateful to you. He hurries away.

Aristede has finished setting up his apparatus: The pistol has been tied to the back of another chair facing Julia. Aristede cocks the hammer and lines up the chair so the pistol is aimed right at Julia, who is trembling in her chair. Would you like me to explain exactly how this device works to you now, Doctor? Aristede asks. I can see how anxious you are. He fastens the line to the trigger of the pistol and explains: Well, the device is quite simple. One end of the string is attached to the trigger. The other end is attached to the door. He opens the door and continues: When the door is opened, it pulls the string, which fires the pistol--and you die. Even though her voice is shaking, Julia fights for her life till the last possible moment. She taunts him, I thought that Petofi said that your imagination was great and creative. Not at all insulted, Aristede leans on the other chair to look her in the eye. Yes, he agrees, but the creative part comes along later, after I am gone. His Excellency suspects that someone will try to rescue you. I am hoping that that someone will be Barnabas Collins. You know, it would only be fitting if he should be your executioner. He crams his red handkerchief into Julia’s mouth despite her efforts to prevent him. Goodbye, Dr. Hoffman, he says with a big grin. Laughing, he unrolls the line back to the door, leaves the room, closes the door, and wraps the line around the outside knob. He starts to leave, then hears someone coming. Barnabas charges down the stairs, shouting, Where is she? Neither surprised nor frightened, Aristede says politely, My dear Mr. Collins. Tell me where she is or I will kill you! Barnabas shouts. I don’t know who you’re talking about, Aristede says calmly. Still gagged, Julia listens helplessly to the rest of the conversation. Julia Hoffman, Barnabas insists--you have her here! There must be some mistake--I’m here alone, Aristede says blandly. What about that room? Barnabas asks as he starts toward the door of the inner room. There’s no one in there, Aristede tells him. Then you won’t mind if I look inside? Barnabas says. Aristede rolls his eyes, feigning boredom, as he replies, There is no reason to look. Barnabas smiles as he makes for the door, but Aristede starts to hurry off. Once more we see Julia waiting helplessly. Barnabas opens the door--the gun fires! The broken string dangles below the gun. Barnabas is horrified to see that Julia is slumped over in the chair. Has he killed her?......

MT, I know I saw almost all the Avengers episodes and I adored Emma Peel, but I don't remember this one. Thanks for telling us about it!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 06:02:24 AM »
I remember that episode of The Avengers quite well! Steed and Mrs. Peel would have been worthy adversaries to Petofi (or anyone)

There's a Tara King episode called Pandora where Tara is kidnapped, dressed in clothing from another era and programmed to assume another woman's identity. There's no vampirism involved but otherwise the stories are fairly similar. [hall2_rolleyes]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 02:08:31 PM »
When I see this episode now, I find Barnabas' head with the fangs funny.  What was he doing in that room?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 03:11:20 PM »
Yes, but mainly Barnabas seems odd there because he's just not as scary these days.  That seems to be a Dream Curse thing, showing Petofi things that scare him the most, when they should be getting away from that with the I Ching.  Anyway, Barnabas told Johnny where Petofi was, and that Petofi's reason for hating, maybe fearing him.  So the gypsy tribunal and Barnabas sort of go together. 

"The Bird Who Knew Too Much", DL, one of my favorites, about talking birds flying secrets to the Russians...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 04:05:40 PM »
"The Bird Who Knew Too Much"-- [hall2_cheesy] [hall2_cheesy] [hall2_cheesy]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 04:19:07 PM »
With Edgar J. Twitter, as I recall. [2Bats] [2Bats] [2Bats]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 04:29:52 PM »
Bird imitations are not my speciality... oh you mean his name was Twitter...  Many, many points for remembering the character's full name, Rog...

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 04:53:55 PM »
You guys just crack me up!  [hall2_grin] [hall2_grin] [hall2_grin] Just what I need on this rainy, gloomy day!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 05:11:26 PM »
Cool.  Now someone crack me up!  Steed and Peel both say that ("Bird imitations...") when someone else responds to a question with "Twitter."  See, three quarters of my brain cells are taken up with TV information.  They have "side drives" for your computer so you can store more data... I need one for my head.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 04:53:37 PM »
You're welcome, Magnus! The Avengers has always been one of very favorites. I appreciate the banter far more now that I did originally!
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 02:09:23 AM »
Julia's death is the first big cliffhanger I remember from the original viewing. I was a little overwhelmed by it and I called my friend about it and she told me not to worry, nobody stays dead for long on Dark Shadows, lol.