Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0379  (Read 764 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0379
« on: January 25, 2013, 04:20:34 PM »
Robservations - #379

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0379

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 05:53:22 PM »
Countess & Vicki: I am warming up to Grayson as Natalie but I am not there yet. I want to sigh in desperation regarding Vicki’s constant blundering (throughout the episode) but I wonder how different I might act under the circumstances other than getting out of Dodge and I seriously doubt I’d do that without any cash or anywhere to go. And it is one thing to try and avoid suspicion but another to have suspicion thrust upon you. The witch-hunt has begun. The opening scene (perhaps the longest in DS history?) had good content as far as Vicki holding her own against the Countess, otherwise it was a little kooky and somewhat boring for me. Even the Countesses funny quips seemed a bit forced, out of place & wasted. Their second scene in the study was good too, very disturbing to watch, with Vicki playing into Natalie’s hands.

Nathan & Vicki: I may be warming up to Forbes as well: The character - not the portrayal, though Crothers seems to be getting better at it. A good scene; I like the repartee between the characters, at times funny (Nathan) and at times intense & crucial in an intangible way. Perhaps it’s a seed of hope that Nathan will be there for Vicki when things start going south or maybe it was just the music, lol. I like how the writers have Vicki handle Nathan’s advances and Nathan in general, and AM was fab.

Barn & Countess: I would like to have seen him tell her that the only person in the house that was overly desperate to stop Jeremiah from leaving was Josette (to his knowledge anyway). Barn bolsters Natalie’s suspicions and confidence by mentioning Abigail’s opinions of cats as pets of the devil or something similar. Natalie says they are the devils laughter after the fact or something to that effect. Barn confesses he is open to the possibility of witchcraft as an answer to Joshua’s disappearance and perhaps the problems plaguing the family. You have to wonder if Barn now has Angelique in mind. The problem there is that to point a finger her way is to open the can of worms regarding their affair in Martinique.

Random thoughts: Well, DarkLady, we do get to see the Old House study. It’s warm, woody & wonderful. We also get to see the top of a stagehand’s head during the Barn & Countess scene in the Old House drawing room. It must have been the cat-handler. Hall has many quotable funny lines in this episode. This was a good episode for content IMO.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 08:16:22 PM »
Thanks about the study, dom. There are a couple of pictures of it in the Robservations, and it does like very nice.

Vicki is even foolhardier than usual, brushing aside Nathan's warnings and nearly having the countess accuse her of witchcraft.

I think the writers are getting better at Natalie's dialogue. She had some good zingers in this ep.

Once again the cat wrangler (briefly visible) has difficulty with the cat! Go, kitty!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 08:52:28 PM »
Can't you just hear the announcer is his deep, soft voice: "No animals were harmed in the production of this episode. Dark Shadows is a Dan Curtis Production."

So weird seeing a live animal on the show. I can imagine Abigail's possible reaction - not sure if she ever sees the cat but I can't imagine the writers passing on that opportunity.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:01:15 PM »
I like the Countess saying," Think of me as a giant child." 
Vickie gets a little of her spunk back when she tells off Nathan and reveals that the countess suspects her of being a witch due to her infantile behavior.  Now if you were suspected of being a witch in these times, would it not make sense to leave and head into another town.  There must be another family somewhere who will hire you as a governess with no recommendation.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 10:17:12 PM »
I like the Countess saying," Think of me as a giant child."

That's one of my favorite quotes too, but I can't remember when or to whom she says it.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 01:11:26 AM »
Natalie opens the episode by killing time.

Animals on TV have no idea what's going on, so I like seeing them.  It's a strange bit of reality and non-acting inserted into things.   Josh is relaxed as a cat, he should stay that way.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor