Author Topic: #0043/0044: Robservations 06/18/01: Coffee and Conversation  (Read 1512 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Episode #43 - I live and work in this great and gloomy house where my life and destiny are bound to the wings of the Collins family--just as is the life of everyone who lives or works in Collinsport.

Maggie sits in the restaurant at a typewriter, preparing the day's menus. She greets Bill Malloy when he enters and accepts black coffee and conversation. She pours and says coffee is a dime, conversation free. She wipes down a table. Malloy asks if she's noticed anything strange about her father lately. Pop? she asks, he's been a nut all his life, what's so strange about that?--a sweet nut, though. I mean just recently, says Bill--has he changed toward you? Changed what toward me? she asks. His attitude--anything, says Bill--I like your father and I'm worried about him. I think you worry too much, says Maggie, carrying dirty dishes behind the counter. You'd want to help him if you thought he was in some kind of trouble, wouldn't you? asks Bill. I think everyone in the Evans family was born already in trouble, says Maggie, giggling--on some of us, it just doesn't show as much. It's not a thing to be treated lightly, says Bill--last night I had a long talk with Sam... You were the one who got him all upset, says Maggie, and drunk, too! For his own good, says Bill. His own good? questions Maggie, what could be good about getting a man stoned?--what do you want with him, anyway? I think he stumbled on some information, says Bill, that it's dangerous for him to have. Do you know where he got this information? asks Maggie. I'm not sure, says Bill, I just know he has it, or says he has it. You can't believe a thing Pop says after he's had a few drinks, says Maggie. You may be right, says Bill, but this is something I have to find out for myself. Even if it hurts Pop? she asks. I wouldn't want to hurt him, says Bill, I told you, I like him, but this concerns someone else--Elizabeth Stoddard--I'd sacrifice anything, if it would help her.
I believe you would, says Maggie, and he stares back at her quite seriously.

This information you think Pop has, says Maggie--it concerns somebody else, right? Yes, says Malloy, sipping his coffee. Then it must be either Roger Collins or Burke Devlin, says Maggie. Why did you say that? asks Bill--did your father mention either one of them, or both? Not exactly, says Maggie, but they've both been to the house, and no one else has--it stands to reason it has something to do with Burke coming back to Collinsport. Then you have noticed something different about your father since Burke came back, says Bill. Sure, says Maggie, for one thing, Burke gave Pop a commission to paint his portrait, maybe Pop was just celebrating. It's much more than that, says Bill. What do you think it could be? asks Maggie. Has he said nothing? asks Bill. He's said plenty, Maggie tells him, if you really want to know--I tried to call Roger to ask him about it, and when Pop found out, he blew his top. Then maybe it wasn't just the liquor talkin' in him, says Bill. What's this all about? asks Maggie. I'm not a man given to idle speculation, and I won't say anything until I'm sure of my facts, says Bill. Does it have anything to do with the accident for which Burke was sent to prison? asks Maggie. It could be, says Malloy. Then he wasn't guilty? asks Maggie. I don't know, says Malloy. Then he'd come back for revenge, suggests Maggie. Wouldn't you in his position? asks Malloy. You ca say that again, agrees Bill--Burke is not a forgiving man. I don't blame him if what you say is true, says Maggie--but I don't see how Pop fits into all of this. Neither do I, says Bill, that's what I'm trying to find out. But if Pop knew anything about it, says Maggie, he would have said so at the time. She carries the menu board to a table and begins working on it. Bill asks her if her father ever told him he was afraid of Roger Collins. Not exactly, says Maggie, not in so many words--why, does he have any reason to be? I suppose Roger's the only one who can answer that question, says Bill, so I think I'll just call him. He enters the phone booth.

Vicki comes into the restaurant. Don't tell me you've come to the Collinsport Gourmeateria for a hot, home-cooked dinner? teases Maggie. Nope, I didn't just to sit down, says Vicki. That's a lot smarter, says Maggie. I walked all the way into town, says Vicki, it's harder than I thought. Maggie offers her coffee or a soda. Thanks, says Vicki. Bill hangs up in the phone booth, not happy. He's not at his office, he tells Maggie, who is behind the counter, but that doesn't surprise me, he seldom is. Vicki calls out to Bill, who says he walked right by her--wasn't looking. That's all right, she assures him--I was wondering if you saw Carolyn this afternoon. NO, but I could have looked right at her without seeing her, admits Malloy, I've had so much on my mind. You're going to have more on it, predicts Vicki--Mrs. Stoddard wants you to call her. I intend to, says Bill, soon as I get the information I'm after. I gather it's pretty important, says Vicki. So's what I'm doing, says Bill, important for her and maybe even more important for her brother--if I can ever find him. Maggie, bringing over Vicki's soda, suggests the Blue Whale. You think he might be there? asks Bill. More likely than here, says Maggie. Bill says he'll do that, then--excuse me, he says to Vicki. What will I tell Mrs. Stoddard? asks Vicki. Tell her I'll be in touch with her, says Bill--but I don't think she's gonna like it--and he leaves. Vicki looks unhappy. What do you think he meant by that? Vicki asks Maggie--you don't think he has bad news for Mrs. Stoddard, do you? I don't know, says Maggie, I think Mr. Malloy is bad news for everybody--like that little comic strip character that walks around with a dark cloud over his head? Except his bad news is funny, says Vicki. You've been up in Collinwood long enough to know what's going on up there, right? asks Maggie. You don't think they'd tell me anything, do you? asks Vicki. I know, but you have eyes, don't you? asks Maggie--you know that whole mess up there isn't normal?--I know it's not right to talk about the people you work for, but you would if you thought it would help them, wouldn't you? I didn't know you were interested in Collinwood, says Vicki. I wasn't, replies Maggie, but I found out that my Pop is somehow involved in that whole mess. Your father, in what way? asks Vicki, surprised. I don't know, I thought maybe you had some hints, says Maggie. Not the slightest, says Vicki. You never met my Pop, did you? asks Maggie. I don't think so, says Vicki. (Didn't she, on the cliff?) He used to be such a carefree sort of guy, says Maggie ruefully, never a worry in the world--I guess I had just about the nicest childhood a kid could ask for--Pop was being both a mother and a father to me--now that I look back on it, he wasn't doing such a bad job--then it all changed. What happened? asks Vicki. He got moody, says Maggie, started drinking too much--acted as though he hated himself. How long ago did that happen? asks Vicki. About 10 years, says Maggie--I remember, because it was about the time we sold a bunch of paintings for a lot of money. That certainly shouldn't have made him unhappy, says Vicki. I wouldn't think so, either, says Maggie. Who bought the paintings? asks Vicki. Funny, that was something he'd never tell me, says Maggie--I just wish he'd never sold them--wish we'd never had that money--not that we couldn't use it--we did, all right--so I went to work and you can see it's all for the best, if Pop hadn't blown all that loot, you wouldn't have the pleasure of sitting there letting me bore you to death! Don't be silly, says Vicki--I just wish there was something I could tell you that would help. You've helped just letting me talk to you about it, says Maggie softly--I guess I'll get myself a soda.

Blue Whale - Joe enters the bar, where Bill is having a drink. Joe asks the bartender if he's seen Carolyn Stoddard, but the bartender shakes his head. Joe spots Bill and stares at him with concern. It's you, Joe, says Malloy. Are you OK? asks Joe. Physically, I'm in good health, Bill assures him, if that's what you mean. Mrs. Stoddard's trying to get in touch with you, says Joe. So I heard, says Bill, clearing his throat--did she say why? No, she said it was important. I'll call her, says Bill, sipping his drink, when I have something to report. Joe sits down him and tells him everyone at the plant was wondering where he was. I know, says Bill, it's not like Bill Malloy to stay away from his place of business--it's even less like Bill Malloy to be having a drink in the Blue Whale in the afternoon. You sure you're all right? asks Joe. To tell you the truth, I feel sick at heart, says Bill. Is there anything I can do? asks Joe. Yes, says Bill. Anything, says Joe. Have a drink with me, says Bill. Joe tells him he'll sit here with him, but if he doesn't mind, he won't have a drink--he has a special reason. And you're entitled to it, says Bill, just as I'm entitled to my special reason for having a drink--not that I think it will do me any good--I thought for once I'd try Sam Evan's personal remedy for his ills. It doesn't work, Joe, it doesn't work. I know, agrees Joe, I found that out last night. there isn't enough whiskey in the world to blot out facts that can't be faced, says Bill. What do you mean? asks Joe. It would be simpler to sit on the sidelines and just watch life go by, says Bill sadly--but you can't--sometimes you have to become involved--and then it hurts because you know you have to hurt others--those you care for very much. Joe shoots him another worried look.

Look, why don't you let me take you home? Joe asks Bill. Bless your heart, says Bill, I don't need to be taken anywhere--you're thinkin' this is gettin' the better of me, eh? I didn't say that, Joe assures him. You're thinkin' Bill Malloy is takin' the secret drink and you've discovered his vice, says Bill. Of course not, says Joe, but Bill plows on--like Sam Evans, only I must say Sam makes no secret of it, only a secret of WHY. Mr. Evans has been drinking as long as I can remember, says Joe. You're memory doesn't go back very far--no reflection on you, says Bill, it just means that you're too young to remember when Sam Evans was as happy a man you could find in the township of Collinsport. I guess he has his pride, remarks Joe--a man can have problems when he's young, too. Ye-ah, says Bill--I thought I had problems, 20 years ago, and I thought I licked 'em, but I didn't boy, all I did was dig a hole and try to bury 'em--like the great lady who's living in that house on Widows' Hill. Mrs. Stoddard? asks Joe--my problems are tied up with Collinwood, too. Carolyn? asks Bill--she's your girl, isn't she? Oh, yeah--that doesn't mean I'm her guy, says Joe. There's not another man in town she's ever looked at, says Bill. Not until recently, says Joe--not until Burke Devlin came back. Bill sips his drink and says he wouldn't dare fool with Carolyn. I have a hunch she's with him in Bangor right now, says Joe. Bill looks at him, astounded--Carolyn?--with Burke Devlin?--it doesn't make any sense. None of it makes any sense, says Joe morosely, if you don't mind, I think I will have that drink. Bill waves the bartender over, and he fills up a glass with beer.

Maggie, carrying two sodas, brings another soda over to Vicki's table. You can stand another soda, says Maggie. OK, but I pay for this one, insists Vicki. Suit yourself, says Maggie--it won't make or break the place. Tell me, how are you getting along in that mausoleum? asks Maggie. All right, says Vicki. All right all right or just sort of all right? asks Maggie. Things have been pretty tense since Mr. Collins wrenched his car, says Vicki. Do you ever get any time off? asks Maggie--I mean like a whole day? Sure, I can pick any day I want, says Vicki. Good, says Maggie, why don't you get all the cobwebs and ghosts away, and have dinner with Pop and me--I know you'd like him. If he's anything like you,
I know I will, agrees Vicki--and I'd love to have dinner--speaking of dinner, it's late, I'd better get going--thanks for the soda--she leaves money on the table--and I'm going to take you up on that dinner. They bid each other goodbye. Vicki meets Sam at the door and passes by him without a word. Maggie is disappointed; she wanted him to meet Vicki Winters. I know Miss Winters, says Sam. Why didn't you say hello to her? asks Maggie. She doesn't know me, he says, taking a doughnut. What kind of double talk is that? asks Maggie. I spoke to her once, says Sam--seemed like a nice girl--I didn't want to see her hurt. How can she be hurt? Asks Maggie. I have a premonition, says Sam. Oh, you and your premonitions! says Maggie, hanging the specials sign on the wall. I have a premonition that something terrible is going to happen at Collinwood, insists Sam. You're in the wrong place, says Maggie, you ought to join that other calamity howler over at the Blue Whale--I'm talking about Mr. Malloy. He's at the Blue Whale? Asks Sam.
That's where he said he was going, says Maggie. Yes, you're right, says Sam, putting down the doughnut he was eating--I'll join him, perhaps there's still time--and he leaves.

Blue Whale - So you see, Mr. Malloy, says Joe, I did go up to Collinwood and I shouted and ranted and raved and said I was going to take Carolyn away from there--the only problem was, I had to get loaded to get up enough nerve to do it. No matter, says Bill--did you get the results you wanted? I don't know, admits Joe, in the middle of it all, I passed out--that's why this doesn't appeal to me so much right now--he pats his beer glass and leaves the table, going over to the jukebox to glance over the selections. Bill comes over and tells him his instincts were right--he should take Carolyn out of that place. It's not so easy, says Joe, I don't have very much to offer. You have yourself to offer, insists Bill--don't make the mistake I did--and don't laugh at what I say--I was young once, too, and felt the same as you
--so I put off the offer, and while I was waitin' somebody else came along with a lot of smooth talk and that was the end of Bill Malloy. Sam enters the bar and tells Bill he has to see him. I was hoping you'd be along, says Bill. Sam puts a friendly hand on Joe's shoulder and tells him it's a private matter. Joe says he was just leaving, and thanks Bill for the drink. Sam and Bill sit at the bar. I had to see you, you know why? asks Sam. You want to verify something you might have said last night? asks Bill Surely you didn't pay any attention to anything that was said last night, says Sam. Can you give me a good reason why I shouldn't, asks Bill. Well, just what part of our conversation did you have in mind? asks Sam. All of it, says Bill. All of it, eh? asks Sam, well, now suppose you refresh my memory. You wouldn't want me to repeat in here what you told me in my home, would ya? asks Bill. The bartender gives the men their drinks. Not if you think you shouldn't, says Sam--that wouldn't do at all, would it? Have you seen Roger Collins? asks Bill. Me, why should I see Roger? asks Sam--nothing at all in common. That's not what you told me last night, says Bill. All right, says Sam, putting a hand on Bill's shoulder--just what is it you think you've learned? Too much, much too much, says Bill. Sam downs the rest of his drink.

Vicki answers the door at Collinwood--it's Joe, and she invites him in with a smile, asking if he's found Carolyn. No, says Joe, but I found Mr. Malloy--I told Mrs. Stoddard I'd let her know. She's resting right now, says Vicki, I'll tell her when she gets up. You haven't heard from Carolyn, have you? asks Joe. Not since...says Vicki, then goes to answer the phone--hello, Carolyn!--where on earth are you? -oh, I see--but you will be back in time for dinner--good, your mother will be pleased--Vicki gestures to the phone, silently asking Joe if he wants to speak to Carolyn, but he shakes his head. Vicki says I see--that's lovely--of course not, why should I be disturbed with whom you had lunch with?--just as long as you had a good one--Joe reacts with displeasure, realizing what Vicki is talking about--OK, I'll see you soon, says Vicki, and hangs up. She did have lunch with Burke Devlin, didn't she? asks Joe, pacing. It wasn't planned, says Vicki. Oh, no? asks Joe, not believing it. And she is coming home now, says Vicki. That's something, anyway, says Joe. Listen, you sound like it's the end of the world, says Vicki--right now, Burke is something new and different, tomorrow he won't be. OK, says Joe--look, be sure to tell Mrs. Stoddard that I gave Mr. Malloy her message. I will, promises Vicki, he is going to call her? I don't know, says Joe, as far as I know, he's still in the Blue Whale with Mr. Evans. Maggie's father? asks Vicki.
Yeah, says Joe--I don't know what's gotten into Mr. Malloy, but he sure is pretty worried about something--I've got to get going--so long. Bye, says Vicki. She stand thoughtfully in the foyer, thinking.

Men at the opposite end of the bar laugh uproariously, enjoying their drinks, as Sam tells Bill that he sees before him a man with a disturbed conscience. That I can believe, says Bill. It's something that's been tormenting me for years, says Sam, drinking. Ten years? asks Bill. About that, agrees Sam, that could have been more or less--time isn't important. I think time is the most important thing there is, says Bill, I think this torment started about the same time Burke Devlin, and Laura and Roger Collins were in a car that killed someone. Isn't it natural that I'd be upset about Burke? asks Sam
--he used to be a friend of mine. Your torment would seem more natural if it stemmed from something you had known, suggests Bill. Sam stands a bit unsteadily, then turns to Bill and says only this afternoon, he went up to Collinwood, on his mind to tell Mrs. Stoddard the whole story--I couldn't do it--I tried, I swear I tried--I just couldn't! he says quietly. Sam leaves the bar. Perhaps I can, says Bill aloud to himself.

NOTES: Sounds like Bill Malloy was sweet on Liz once upon a time, but Paul must have come along and stolen her away. Is Malloy a candidate to be Vicki's father? Bill isn't acting like himself, nor is he responding to Liz' summons--why not? If what he suspects if true, it's going to hurt Liz, and that's the last thing he wants.

I love watching Maggie do little restaurant tasks, like putting together the lunch menu and taking away the dishes. She's adorable, and such a sweet person. She loves her father and she and Vicki already seem on the way to what will be a deep, special friendship. How odd that she and Sam passed each other by without acknowledging each other. Vicki's encounter with him was disturbing, and he did refuse to tell her who he was, but they have met.

Carolyn didn't lie about her whereabouts this afternoon; she had lunch with Burke, and now everyone, including a disgusted and disillusioned Joe, knows it. Vicki tried to smooth things over, but it's obvious this is going to alter Joe and Carolyn's already tottering relationship forever.

Sam got a large sum of money for some paintings, and Roger mentioned $15,000 he gave Sam years ago. Was that the cover up for blackmail money? Did Sam keep a secret for Roger for which he was paid fifteen grand, a huge amount of money back then? What links Burke, Roger and Sam together in an unholy union, and what role did Laura play?

Episode #44 - I came to Collinwood for a purpose, but that purpose has been obscured by a veil of hypocrisy and deceit as a man who cares tries to reach a decision.

At the Blue Whale, Bill drinks. Carolyn comes in and starts to walk right past him, then realizes who it is. "Bill?" she asks. Princess!, he says I didn't expect to see you here. This is my favorite hangout, she says, her hair all flipped and banged--but I didn't expect to see you here. I thought you were in Bangor, he says. Have you been checking up on me? she asks. No, it was just mentioned casually, he says, casually in passing. He's obviously uncomfortable. Mmm-hmm, says Carolyn, so who was doing all this reporting on my activities? He's a fine lad, says Bill defensively. That must mean Joe Haskell, she says--did he tell you I had lunch in Bangor with Burke Devlin? She sits at the table with him. No he didn't, insists Bill, annoyed, he didn't say that at all. Did he follow me there to spy on me? asks Carolyn. Never, says Bill, he wouldn't do a thing like that, he merely mentioned... Casually, in passing, teases Carolyn. Yeah, casually in passing, repeats Bill, downing his drink. Carolyn watches him sharply and asks him how long he's been here. I was born here and my father was born here before me, he replies. I don't mean in Collinsport, she says, I mean in the Blue Whale--I don't believe I've ever heard of you taking a drink in the afternoon. And rarely in the evenin', he says--the occasion has never presented itself before. So what brought all this one? she asks--you didn't get upset just because Joe mentioned my meeting Burke Devlin, did you? Anything that concerns Burke upsets me, says Bill. Because it wasn't anything, Carolyn assures him, I mean not really. It also upset young Joe, says Bill. It serves him right, says Carolyn--he had no business spying on me in the first place. But he didn't, I told you that, says Bill, he said that Burke was in Bangor and you were seen on the road to Bangor. And I suppose that makes me a criminal, says Carolyn angrily--does he think I deliberately followed Burke? Certainly not, says Bill, indignant. I should hope not, says Carolyn--I mean why in the world would I follow a man like Burke? (But you did!) .

Bill raises his glass heavenward, asking for another--you care to have anything, Princess? He asks Carolyn. Like what? she asks, smiling. Like whatever it is you like, he falters. No thanks, she says, I've got to be getting home. Going up to Collinwood, he says. Sure, that is where I live, isn't it? she reminds him. I should be going up there myself, he says, to see your mother. Great, she says, I'll give you a lift. I'm not ready to leave yet, he says, I'm in no hurry to add to her distress. Now what do you mean by that? asks Carolyn, sitting back down again--are you going to tell her about my meeting Burke, because I didn't make any secret of it--when I called from Bangor, I told Vicki about it--I just happened to mention, casually, in passing. It's best to be above-board, says Bill. Then why make a big thing of it? asks Carolyn.
I wish what I had to tell your mother was as simple a matter as that, says Bill. I'll tell her I saw you, says Carolyn. You do that, says Bill--tell her I'll be seeing her soon. Carolyn turns and gives Bill a disturbed glances before leaving the bar. The bartender brings over another drink for Bill, and he takes a sip.

Liz brings a tea tray into the drawing room, sets it on the table and checks her watch. She dials long distance operator 67, announces that this is Elizabeth Stoddard, Collinsport 4099--have you any report on that call I placed to Ned Calder?--I see--keep trying, please. She hangs up. She answers a knock at the door--it's John, her banker--it's been four years! she says. Much too long, he says--you're looking good. So are you, she praises, not at all like a stuffy old banker. (I think he looks pretty darn stuffy.) She asks how the trip down was, and he says it's good to get out of town once in a while. I made some tea, she says, and invites him to sit down. We've known each other a long time, he says, when you called, I couldn't help thinking that you had more problems than you admitted. Liz pours tea and says all she wanted was his advice on setting up a trust fund for her nephew. I have the papers right here, he says--is there something else I can do for you, too? No, thank you, she says. Has Bill Malloy been giving you any headaches? asks John. Of course not, she says. Don't misunderstand, he says, I like him, he's conscientious, capable, a good boy, as far as running your fishing fleet is concerned, but that's as far as Bill goes, too (Boy?) Bill is doing the best he can, says Liz, handing him a cup of tea. But he's no Ned Calder, says John--I imagine by now you've realized how much you need Ned. Liz looks down. Malloy hasn't been able to take his place, has he? asks John. Well, says Liz, I never intended he should, I thought that Roger... If you thought Roger could run the business, says John, that was wishful thinking--he's no more a businessman than I am a fisherman--you need Ned back at the helm before you whole fleet sinks. That's not going to happen, insists Liz. I was just speaking allegorically, says John--Ned's ideal for the fleet, it's been his whole life--what you need is someone to handle the common business--it happens that what you really need is someone to handle your life. You sound like Ned, says Liz wistfully--those were almost his exact words when he asked me to marry him. (Liz you got a proposal?) Why did he resign? asks John--because you refused him? He had other things he wanted to do, says Liz evasively. That isn't the truth, is it? asks John. I told you what he said, says Liz. Ned Calder is one of the finest men I know, says John. You seem to be forgetting something, John, she says--I'm still married. Your husband left you 18 years ago, he reminds her--why should you be denied your freedom?
I haven't asked for it, says Liz. Why? he asks. The phone rings, saving her an answer. It's Ned--where are you? she asks, smiling--I've been trying to reach you all day--have you decided yet about coming back to run the business?--I really need you to take care of things the way you used to--it just hasn't worked out--no, Ned, I haven't changed my mind about that--I'm sorry, I can't discuss it--I'm sorry you feel that way about it--I see--well, if you change your mind, please, please call me. She hangs up, disappointed. She sits down, looking at John, and admits, "All right--I need him."

John shows Liz where she needs to sign the legal paperwork he brought to her. This trust fund can't be touched by anyone? she asks. The principal can't even be touched by David, he assures her--and the interest guarantees him security for he rest of his life. (I wish I were him.) He takes the papers and places them in his briefcase. And this goes on in perpetuity? asks Liz. It goes on as long as we have a monetary system, John assures her--it assures him of an education and an income--but I must point out to you that this trust fund you've set up is going to put you in a slight bind, financially. Liz chuckles and asks what does he want her to do--go around and make sure all the lights are out? John laughs, too, and says nothing that serious--but there isn't any loose money lying around, and when you took over Roger's interest in the company, you tied up nearly all your own cash to do it. It had to be done, she says. I'm not criticizing you for it, he assures her, the notes are signed on the best possible terms, and eventually they can be paid off, but I must remind you, they are demand notes, and can be called at anytime. Why should they be called if I keep paying the interest? Liz asks. No reason, unless somebody wants to take over your company, says John, and I don't know why anybody would want to do that. (Uh oh!) I wonder, says Liz. Family institution, says John, I had to tell somebody that the other day when he was making inquiries about it. Who was it? asks Liz--who was making inquiries? I don't know, says John, it was some New York syndicate, I just fought them off. Try to find out, John, says Liz anxiously. The front door slams, Carolyn is home. I didn't expect you home so early, says Liz. Didn't Vicki tell you I called? asks the blonde. Yes, she did, says Liz--you remember Mr. Harris? Of course, grins Carolyn--I remember starting a savings account at your bank--for one dollar! They laugh together. It's grown considerably since then, he says, and you're both in pretty good shape. Thank you, says Carolyn--I almost stopped in the bank this afternoon. Then you did go to Bangor, says Liz. Yes, I had lunch with a friend, says Carolyn. Liz asks John to excuse them for a minute and leads Carolyn into the foyer, closing the doors behind them. Was this friend by any chance Burke Devlin? asks Liz. Yes, says Carolyn, but how did you know about it?--I suppose Vicki must have told you. No she didn't, says Liz--you know how I feel about Burke. Yes, but I don't see why, begins Carolyn. Never mind why, says Liz, I don't want you associating with him. I don't know exactly what you mean by associating, says Carolyn--all I did was have lunch with him--you'd think it was a federal crime--Bill Malloy sounded as if he thought I ought to be put in jail or something. What's he got to do with it? demands Liz. That's what I'd like to know--what does ANYBODY have to do with it? asks Carolyn--all I know is that Mr. Malloy has been in the Blue Whale all afternoon, drowning his sorrows. Bill Malloy? asks Liz, not believing it. Yes, giggles Carolyn, the stern, strict Bill Malloy--he said he was coming up to see you. Someone knocks at the door and Carolyn goes to answer--it's Bill Malloy. I was right, says Carolyn. Bill comes in and says he must talk to her. John Harris is down from Bangor, says Liz, can't it wait? No, I've got to say what's on my mind, insists Bill. Liz sends Carolyn in to talk to Mr. Harris, and she obediently goes into the drawing room. Liz turns to Bill and asks what's so urgent. It's not an easy thing to tell ya, he says. Then I assume it's unpleasant, she says. It is that, he says, it's about Roger. Liz takes a deep breath and tells him if he wants to complain about Roger not attending to business, it isn't necessary--they've discussed it and he's going to try harder. He can try as hard as he wants, says Bill, and he'll never live up to Ned Calder. I agree, says Liz--I've asked Ned to come back. That would be the smartest move you've ever made in your life, says Bill. I know, says Liz. It would give me more time for what I know best, says Bill--the boats. He's not interested in my offer, says Liz. Maybe he'll change his mind, suggests Bill. Ned is a very capable man, says, Liz, he's also a very stubborn man--almost as stubborn as you, Bill. I'll admit to that, says Malloy, but only if I know it's for the best. And are you the one who decides what's for the best? Asks Liz. I might be, says Bill. You think you're more capable of deciding than I am? asks Liz. As long as it affects your brother, you won't bring it out in the open and look at it, accuses Bill--you'll try to sweep it under the carpet! Do you realize you're not making any sense? Asks Liz. It makes sense to me, says Bill. Suppose you explain it to me, says Liz. I guess you know why Burke Devlin came back to Collinsport? asks Bill. Yes, he came back hoping to stir up a lot of trouble, says Liz, and I think he's succeeded. That wasn't the only reason, says Bill--he came back here to prove he wasn't guilty--he wasn't the one who should have gone to prison. And how does he expect to do that? asks Liz. You know he's commissioned Sam Evans to do his portrait, says Bill. Yes, says Liz, squaring her shoulders. Burke isn't the kind of man to get his portrait painted, says Bill--what he's commissioned Evans for is to get information from him. Information about the accident? asks Liz. What else? asks Bill. If Burke wasn't driving the car when it hit that man, says Liz, then Roger was--is that what you're trying to tell me? I think you suspected it all the time, says Bill. No I didn't, insists Liz.
And you wouldn't admit it, even to yourself, says Bill. That's not true, says Liz--do you think I'd allow an innocent man to take my brother's place in prison? Do you want me to answer that? asks Bill. Burke had a perfectly fair trial, says Liz, the jury chose to find him guilty--I choose to accept that verdict--is that quite clear? What if there happened to be evidence that was not introduced at that trial? Asks Bill, leaning forward--what then?--do you want to hear about it?

Carolyn, playing with her necklace, asks John what would happen if everyone wanted to withdraw all their deposits at the same time? I'd be very unhappy, admits John. Would you go bankrupt? Asks Carolyn, smiling. No, we're insured against that now, he says, so I don't think you have to worry about your money. She laughs and says she doesn't have enough to worry about. Someday you will, says John, both you and David--it's healthy for you to take an interest in it. Now that's about all I know about money, she says--you keep my money and I get the interest. Very true, he says. Did you know Burke Devlin? she asks. Yes, he says, I haven't seen him in some time. He's back in Collinsport, you know, she says. So I've heard, he says. (She looks at the TelePrompTer, lost.) You notice me trembling or anything? she asks. Should you be? he asks her. I don't know, she says, my mother and Uncle Roger seem to think he's only come back here to take over the Collins empire. What do you think? he asks. I think he couldn't be nicer, she gushes--he's the one I had lunch with in Bangor today. Really? asks John--I heard quite a bit about him. Anything good? asks Carolyn--I'm so tired of hearing people knock him. I'm afraid I can only report on his financial status, says John. I know, he has oodles of money, says Carolyn, he's awfully nice, anyway. Because of the money? queries John. In spite of it, says Carolyn. You can talk because you've never lacked for anything, says John--a man like Burke Devlin is different. He certainly is, agrees Carolyn dreamily. I'm still speaking from a financial point of view, says John--Burke started with nothing and built it up to a fortune, but he's not content--he wants more, because when you start with nothing, you'll always want more--I wish I could handle his bank account. I'm afraid you haven't a chance, says Carolyn--Burke seems to travel with his own banker--I met him today at lunch--a Mr. Blair. Blair? Asks John. Yes, from New York, says Carolyn. Are you sure? asks the banker, getting off the couch and standing in front of her. Sure about what? she asks. This man, says John, this banker from New York, his name is James Blair?
Yes, says Carolyn, James Blair. I must talk to your mother about this, says John. Wait a minute, says Carolyn, my mother's already bawled me out. This has nothing to do with your lunch date, honey, he says--I have to talk to her about James Blair. Oh, do you know him? asks Carolyn. Yes, I had no idea he was working with Burke Devlin, says John. Carolyn looks as disturbed as the banker.

All I can tell you right now, Bill tells Liz, is that I have information that might be damaging to Roger. What sort of information? asks Liz. I'd rather not tell you until I check out the facts, says Bill--but it has to do with Burke's trial and conviction, 10 years ago. That was settled at the time--Burke was guilty, says Liz. He doesn't agree, says Bill. And you think he'd be satisfied if you could prove he wasn't guilty? asks Liz. I do, says Bill. Then you're a fool! says Liz--he served his prison sentence, no matter what you do, you can't get him back those five years. You can give him back his dignity, says Bill, and that might be what he really wants. No matter what my personal feelings about Burke are, says Liz, somehow I never felt he lost his dignity. He must care that people call him an ex-convict, says Bill--he wants to be cleared. And for that you want me to sacrifice my brother? asks Liz--you don't know me very well. John knocks from the opposite side of the drawing room door, apologizing for interrupting--(they all enter the drawing room) but Carolyn just told him something extremely important--that she had lunch with Burke Devlin in Bangor. I already know that, says Liz. What you don't know, says John, is that the man with Burke was James Blair--you remember, I mentioned something about a representative of a New York syndicate wishing to buy up all the demand notes you signed?--that man was James Blair--obviously acting for Burke Devlin.
You see? says Bill, agitated, it's what I was afraid of, now you've got to do what I said. Please, Bill, I don't want to discuss it, says Liz. You want to let everything go down the drain to save that precious brother of yours? Demands Bill. He is my brother! Liz reminds him. Carolyn, playing with her necklace, listens, distressed. I tell you, it's the only thing to do! insists Bill--if you won't give me your approval, I'm sorry--for the first time since I worked for ya, I'm going to do something against your wishes--good day! Bill, please! cries Liz, but Bill has left. What was that all about? asks John. Nothing, says Liz, Bill had a few drinks and I think they went to his head--nothing to worry about.

At the Blue Whale, Bill gets change from the bartender and goes to the phone. He dials. This is Malloy, he says--is Roger Collins there?--put him on--hello, Roger?--Malloy--I have to see you right away--no, I don't want to hear any excuses--either you meet me or I'm going to the police!--I mean it!--all right, I'm at the Blue Whale--I'll wait for you here.
Bill sits down at a table by the window, resting his head in his hand, very upset. .

NOTES: Just as Liz couldn't bring herself to accept the fact that David attempted to murder his father and lied about it, she can't accept the possibility that her brother killed a man and framed another for it. Here is a woman who knows those she love are flawed, but can't admit it to the outside world... Bill Malloy has no problem with cutting Roger loose if it means saving the Collins enterprises. Liz, of course, won't hear of it, but Bill is doing something uncharacteristic and going over her head. Now that the stuff has hit the fan, what is going to happen in this tense, volatile situation?

Carolyn has returned from her "date" with Burke, her crush intact. Now that Liz' banker has made the connection between Mr. Blair and Burke, and Liz now knows that Devlin DOES have designs on what she has worked so hard to build up, what is she going to do? Bill is ready to take action to prove Burke innocent, hoping he won't renege on his promise to leave the Collins family alone. Once again, Liz seems fairly unconcerned about the possibility that her company is in danger of being bought out from under her. Family first--but at what ultimate loss? You have to be glad that Bill has his head on straight, booze notwithstanding, because Liz has hers buried in the ground.

Carolyn and David are rich kids. It must be nice--but we also see here that the rich have problems of their own.

John the banker told Liz that she's cash-poor right now, which is exactly where Burke probably wants her, and already knows she is as a result of his investigations. So John knows that Liz is vulnerable, business-wise, also exactly where Burke wants her.

Ah ha! We learn that Ned proposed to Liz, and she refused, and he made his return contingent upon her accepting his proposal--which she refused. She is still married, as she told John, but she could get it annulled at this point, couldn't she? Why didn't she marry Ned? What had gone on between them?

Love, Robin