Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0897  (Read 798 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0897
« on: March 06, 2015, 06:18:04 PM »
Robservations #897

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0897

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 11:06:03 AM »
No writer credit, but this might be V Welles, since the first scene between Chris and Carolyn is actually pretty good, making something fresh and vital out of what by now is a very tired plot thread, Chris's werewolf angst.  Chris comes so close to outing himself as a werewolf to Carolyn that it actually would have made him look much better and decreased his danger if he's just spilled the beans completely.  The way things were left, it sounds as if human Chris just hauls off and kills people because of rages.  Good for Chris that Carolyn is having trouble buying it.

Apparently Chris just started inhabiting the "carriage house" again, "cottage" (?) after disappearing and coming back-- then tells Carolyn to get out of his life.  Is he planning to stay on the estate?  And work as caretaker?  Well not now, he's planning on using his gun.  Don't blame him.  He's burnt his bridge behind him.

Barnabas experiments with electronics... on Phillip, more of a brainwashing experiment a la Manchurian Candidate...  someone should tell him he wasn't the first to fiddle with electronics... Is that Lang's recorder?  I really wish that after the room was empty and we still heard "Punishment is necessary..." we'd had a few seconds of silence, then : "If both Barnabas and my creation live... if both live..."  That would have been a great, big hoot of an in-joke.

Jenny appears to Chris.  Jenny's ghost has gone insane (when her ghost was sane in 1897) for purposes of easier identification as a character, and differentiation from Megan, though Megan is about to go off the deep end from fear herself.  Well, maybe Jenny's hair went insane, only.

Phil to Meg: "Finish your coffee and try to relax."  Setting her up with caffeine to be extra jittery and easily frightened?  Marie then performs a nice one-woman show in the antique shop entitled "I'm Really Scared".  I liked it going black, then it turns out we've moved to an adjoining room without light, then Meg opens the door and we see her.  Anyway, this was so good that they had Marie redo almost all of it for the next episode. 

Knob turns... end.  I so wish it had been Garth Blackwood looking 70 years older.

Closing credits:  arm of stagehand stoking the dry ice pot in the cairn basement.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 07:27:04 PM »
Now there is a roomful of taper candles standing up on their own.  They must be glued in place, though that doesn't explain how Barnabas pulled it off.

Magnus, it was Gordon Russell, who also wrote the next one. ... I think Chris would've had a harder time getting rid of [crazy-eyed] Carolyn if he'd admitted to being under a werewolf curse.

And work as caretaker?
He should fix that doorknob.

Thanks for the chuckles!

So Jenny has hope of a cure(?) for Chris. [spoiler]Ghosts don't know everything, apparently.[/spoiler]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 09:15:03 PM »
DS Wiki says this script is by Violet Welles.

I believe we get our first look at the carriage house on the Great Estate. That's where Chris is apparently living.

In the crypt beneath the Leviathan altar, David seems unfazed by the random skeletons. Or maybe he just doesn't notice them. Or maybe, having already buried one, he's used to them.

Barnabas's experiment in electronics turns out to be torturing Philip into submission.

Barnabas promises the lovelorn Carolyn, You should forget about Chris Jennings. You will find a truer love than you ever knew with Chris Jennings--a love that will make your current feelings for him seem like the merest infatuation. In fact, I feel it is your destiny, and I trust my feelings.

What a shame that Chris doesn't get to see Jenny as Quentin did, restored to her early beauty. That's really sad. It might have made him feel a little better. If any early viewers thought a certain character wouldn't return, they must have been pleasantly surprised.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 03:35:02 AM »
Isn't this the same little house that Matthew then Laura then Chris lived in?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 04:55:34 PM »
Matthew and Laura lived in the cottage, as did Chris before the 1897 story line, when Quentin met all his women there. Now Chris has moved to the carriage house. Other people will live there too.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 06:38:53 AM »
Chris continues to live in the caretaker's cottage.  Jeb will live in the carriage house on the estate, which looks very different.

DS Wiki says this script is by Violet Welles.
Hmm, can't imagine where they got that from.  Not the Program Guide.