Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1017  (Read 1262 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1017
« on: November 27, 2015, 12:10:30 AM »
Robservations #1017

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #1017

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 05:32:28 PM »
Kinescope.  Barnabas is congratulated on how wonderful he has been through the crisis of Quentin's incapacity.  Barnabas told PT Liz to call a doctor, then hung around.  I think that's been the extent of his wonderfulness.  Maybe he always gives off a subtle "trust me" vibe to all around him, as a vampire.  That would explain a lot, wouldn't it?

Barnabas's strange (to me) love for Maggie rears its head again.  It's a love they never set up in RT; they just acted as if it had been going on awhile, and we the viewers were just slow to notice.  We saw no dates, or love talk.  It was talked about in casual conversation only,  weird for a soap opera.  This only gives me the impression that Barnabas just automatically latches onto a woman out of those in the immediate vicinity. 

Bad Barnabas sneered at Maggie, and considered her worthless.  I know he's better now, but love?  Maybe by living at Collinwood, and not being a diner waitress, she rose socially for him.  Sorry writers, I know I wasn't supposed to be thinking about this...

Barnabas plays an incoherent game with Will, with the cross.  Don't give me away or I'll kill you both, he makes sure they know.  I have all the power, remember that.  By the way, Will, go get that cross, and keep me prisoner.  I give you all the power temporarily.  ??  We see how Barnabas will apparently take the power back, when the charade is over-- he does some mind thing to overcome Will, when Will gets uppity, and Will drops the cross.  So Barnabas can do that any time he wants.  He could have done that instead of allowing himself to be taken prisoner, in the first place. 

Thus having proven the cross can't control him, Barnabas says pick up the cross Will, and control me with it, so I don't leave this room tonight.  When the time comes, Barnabas of course just pushes past Will, then can't resist a good, nostalgic, unnecessary Willie-beating before he goes.

Barnabas in Maggie's bedroom, with the atmosphere all handled very well, just as if this were an A story, not something thrown in.  He moves to bite, getting about a millimeter from Maggie's neck... end.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 07:05:50 PM »
Nice sequences with Maggie and Quentin. Some real emotions here, anchoring the story in more reality than is the norm here.
Trouble at Loomis house. Carolyn Is rebeling against Barnabas and threatens to expose him. In a bizarre piece of DS logic, Barnabas allows Will to control him with the cross again. Wouldn't this give Will the chance to enslave him again? Oh, well, it doesn't work for very long. And Barnabas is off to chomp on Maggie Collins who reminds him of Maggie Evans who reminds him of Josette. Typecasting? Carolyn attempts to intervene unsuccessfully. And it appears that Maggie is about to become neck bait.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 04:48:24 AM »
It might have helped if even once the idea had been spoken by somebody that Maggie reminds him of Josette, and that that's the reason for the attraction.  He of course would never have believed it himself.  In the bad old days, Maggie was a worthless empty shell for him, a receptacle for his Josette to return somehow.  The real Maggie repelled him.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 05:11:56 PM »
I think Barn has become conscience stricken about RT Maggie and feels a certain amount of guilt about what he almost succeeded in doing to her. Anyway, that's the best explanation I can come up with.

His sadness increasing with every moment he watches the young marrieds, Barnabas finally pulls himself together and asks Maggie to excuse him. Maggie says, Elizabeth told me how wonderful you’ve been. With manly modesty he replies, Quentin’s recovery will be thanks enough. Quentin pulls himself up to add, Of course you’re welcome at Collinwood.

Maggie and Quentin throw themselves into each other's arms as Quentin's strength returns. He promises that nothing will hurt them again. Barn listens miserably outside the drawing room doors.

Meanwhile, in PT, Loomis House has electricity, so there's a phone somewhere, and Will and Carolyn know about Quentin's heart attack. Carolyn and Will are arguing. Carolyn refuses to be Barn's slave and threatens to expose him. Will pleads with her not to. If you want to stay a slave, you can go right ahead, she retorts. Barnabas only wants to get back to his own time, Will pleads. Then we can forget that this ever happened. He’ll never get back, Carolyn retorts, and I’m not going to wait another minute. I strongly suggest that you do, says Barnabas, who has suddenly materialized behind them. I have been here long enough to hear words I would have preferred not to have heard. His shadow falls across Carolyn, who screams as he comes within biting range.

Will begs Carolyn to tell Barn she didn't mean it, but she defiantly says that she does. When he expresses concern for Quentin, she taunts Barn that he isn't related to anyone at Collinwood. He replies calmly that he considers any Collins a relation, including PT Carolyn. You’re not a Collins, Carolyn says, even angrier than before. You’re not even human! Will angrily warns her to stop. She runs to his arms, declaring, We can’t live this way! Barnabas observes quietly, One does not always choose the circumstances under which he lives. No one knows that better than I. Go away and leave us alone, Carolyn says miserably. This is the one place than can give me a chance to get back to my own time, Barnabas replies. I must speak to Will alone. Carolyn looks at Barnabas and then at Will, who nods reassuringly. Barnabas warns Carolyn once more: If you expose me, it will mean your and Will’s destruction. As Carolyn turns to leave, Will grabs her hand and kisses it. You wouldn’t! Carolyn says as she leaves the room. I would without hesitation, Barnabas replies simply. Realizing he is telling the truth, she leaves.

Barn orders Will to open the cupboard under the stairs and orders him not to let him (B.) leave. While they listen as Maggie comes by and tells Carolyn the good news about Quentin, Will finally realizes why. Listening to Maggie sing Barn's praises has the predictable effect, and he orders Will to open the panel, but he brandishes the cross, forcing Barnabas to turn aside even as he orders Will to put it away. For reasons best known to herself, Carolyn opens the panel, unaware of Barnabas’s plight. Despite Carolyn’s screams, Barnabas seizes the opportunity to conk Will a few times with his cane, simply because he is available and even though he is not the real object of Barnabas’s anger. A few quick steps take him outside the house, without a thought for Will and Carolyn. As the dogs howl all around him, whatever remorse he may feel is quickly overwhelmed by desire as he starts determinedly for Collinwood.

Will lies on the sofa while Carolyn tends to his injuries. He tells Carolyn of the danger, and she agrees to warn Maggie.

Barnabas is just outside the front door at Collinwood, still trying to resist temptation. He slips into the shadows when he hears running footsteps, but when he sees it’s Carolyn, he warns her of the consequences of interfering. He is about to demonstrate, but from inside the house, Maggie has heard them talking and opens the door. With Barnabas concealed but listening, Carolyn lamely says she forgot to ask if there was anything she and Will could do to help. No, Maggie says, but thank you for asking. You might want to go to the hospital to stay with Quentin, Carolyn suggests with all the daring she can muster. Quentin insisted I come home, Maggie replies. Carolyn leaves, bitterly aware of her failure. After Maggie shuts the front door, the dogs howl again as Barnabas looks up at the bedroom windows in anticipation of conquest. For a moment, he turns sad, thinking, Will failed to stop me, and so I punished him, even though he was acting on my orders. Now Carolyn has failed too. But he is not deterred for long.

Sometime later (at 3:15), Maggie is sleeping peacefully in bed. (They can show her in a double bed, since she’s the only one in it.) Suddenly we see a bat hovering just outside the window; a moment later Barnabas has materialized in the room. He studies the sleeping Maggie for a moment; perhaps his innate decency puts up one last struggle. But the struggle is vain. Fangs bared, he leans over the bed to strike....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 06:38:30 AM »
Barnabas bonking Willie on the head or wherever is almost funny.  Doesn't he start to leave, then turn back and wallop him as an afterthought?  I forget.  It's like, oh yeah, I beat Willie, it's what I do...

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 03:23:23 PM »
RT Willie or PT Willie, it's all the same to Barnabas.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 11:21:11 PM »
Another kinescope which makes me wonder when they stopped. I recall that is how Alaska got all it's shows duntil they found a way to broadcast a signal up there. Barnabas suddenly wants Maggie and no mention of why. New viewers must have been like What?  And why isn't Barnabas feeding on the town folk. It's all blood.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 11:41:16 PM »
Even when Barn first appeared in RT, he was feeding on animals rather than the townsfolk. It wasn't the same as human blood, but I guess he can make do if he has to.

Somewhere along the line, the color video of this show must have gotten lost, maybe? alwaysdavid, were you in Alaska at the time?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 11:54:13 AM »
There's an 1841 PT kinescope, so I guess they never stopped.  As we've been talking about, the supposed Maggie romance was sort of sprung on us without explanation, but before this, during Leviathans.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 12:08:36 PM »
the assorted and sundry KLS "Josette clones" only seemed to attract Barnabas in the alternate/past time periods...

in "the present" and after the initial abduction Maggie Evans was as useless to him as yesterday's trash. he was never really interested in some towny waitress on her own merits.

he was always pining away for Vicki and later Roxanne who, interestingly, bore absolutely no resemblance to Josette. 
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 01:15:33 PM »
in "the present" and after the initial abduction Maggie Evans was as useless to him as yesterday's trash. he was never really interested in some towny waitress on her own merits.

Well yes, except late in Leviathans.  Barnabas and Maggie are seeing each other, as inexplicable as it seemed.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 06:02:25 PM »
true...

put as I recall it was plot driven. it was just a setup for Mrs. Rumson to put a "love curse" on Maggie and Quentin that didn't really go anywhere.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 04:58:14 AM »
DL I had family that lived there.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 04:47:21 PM »
Wow, alwaysdavid! :D