Author Topic: Jean Shepherd Was Right  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Jean Shepherd Was Right
« on: June 15, 2002, 04:47:30 PM »
Dear Fellow Dark Shadows Fans,

The late, great American humorist, Jean Shepherd, once observed that the color brown is particularly drab and depressing.  After observing Barnabas' dull brown double-breasted suit the other day, I'm inclined to agree with the wonderful author of "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash."

You know, next to Roger in his nifty sports coat and his classic ascot scarf, and Nicholas Blair, jauntily attired from head to toe in cool gray, Barnabas looked like the proverbial pair of "old brown shoes" by comparison.  By the way, unless you're in the service, black shoes do not go with a brown suit, Barnabas.)

Barnabas should leave the tawny, Earth color look to Willie Loomis.  Even Joe Haskell and Adam (in his new suit) looked sharper than Barnabas.

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who agrees with the sentiment, "Flick lives!" (You have to be a "Shep" fan to know what that means.)

Offline Daphne

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
Re: Jean Shepherd Was Right
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2002, 04:33:15 AM »
By the way, unless you're in the service, black shoes do not go with a brown suit, Barnabas.)

LMAO! Last year in Theatre Arts, there were these three girls [2 of them cheerleaders, of course] who would tell my teacher EVERYDAY that his brown shoes didn't go with his black belt. It was hilarious!  ;D And another friend of mine whacks me whenever I wear silver and gold together. Ayyaiyai! There's just no pleasing some people! >.<;;;; I'm perfectly comfortable walking around in my oversized Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shirt that belongs to my friend Jay. Why is it so weird to be comfortable in this freaking nation? Everyone just has to be wearing as little as possble all the time, skin-tight all the time...no one can ever just be a slob. [vryangy] *le sigh* LOL of course, that wasn't directed @ u, Bob [spin] :)
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2002, 05:06:44 AM »
hey Daphne i'm with you COMFORT comes first!
8)[coolb][coolg] 8)[coolb][coolg]

jennifer
Bob   agree brown suit/black shoes Glamour nono :o
Hey love your Mets today!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2002, 05:46:19 AM »
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shirt"

A girl in my Geometry class has a shirt just like that and she LOVES it!

You're right, some people are never satisfied with what you're wearing. Just last week, my friend and I were getting ready to go to a graduating party. I come out wearing a light orange shirt and jeans and she does this huge double-take. I ask her what's wrong and she says, "WHY AREN'T YOU WEARING A BELT WITH THAT!?IT WILL TIE IT ALL TOGETHER OR ELSE IT DOESN'T LOOK RIGHT!" . I told her I didn't need a belt with it and asked her since when is not wearing a belt all the time a sin. Goodness!  ::)

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2002, 12:12:07 AM »
Jennifer,

I wish that Angelique would do us all a favor and "transform" Roger "The Rocket" Clemens into anothe living creature, say, like a pit bull or a mule!

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, just another masochistic Mets fan!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2002, 09:52:58 AM »
Adam (in his new suit) looked sharper than Barnabas.

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who agrees with the sentiment, "Flick lives!" (You have to be a "Shep" fan to know what that means.)

LOL!!!  Bob, that's funny you mentioned that. I can't help but wonder who bought it for him?! ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2002, 08:18:11 PM »
Jennifer,

I wish that Angelique would do us all a favor and "transform" Roger "The Rocket" Clemens into anothe living creature, say, like a pit bull or a mule!

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, just another masochistic Mets fan!

Dearr Bob
That's great Bob! Go Angelique!he is a piece of work brings it all on himself! ::) ;D
Thank your Mets last evening too Go Mo![coolb]

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2002, 04:21:45 AM »
Dear Jennifer,

Thank God that Big Mo cranked that David Wells pitch out of the ball park last night.  You know, Mo has had a rough time of it adjusting to the National League.  Mo also has put on a few extra pounds since his MVP days with the Red Sox (haven't we all?).

Anyway, I was contemplating sending Mo a copy of my favorite exercise tape, Richard Simmons' "Sweatin To The Oldies," but I don't think that Big Mo needs it now.

I remember seeing the great writer, Steven King, rooting for the Red Sox against the Mets during the 1986 World Series.  I'll bet that most of the residents of Collinwood were dyed-in-the-wool Red Sox fans like their state's most prolific writer.  Bob Rooney, Sheriff Paterson, Mrs. Johnson and young David Collins were probably all big fans of Carl Yaztremski and Tony Conigliaro (not to mention George Scott and Sonny Siebert!).  Heck, Mrs, Johnson was probably in love with Ted Williams!

I wonder if Barnabas could ever understand everyone's fascination with a sport vaguely reminiscent of cricket.  Somehow, I can't see Barnabas enjoying a hot dog and a beer, with a Red Sox baseball cap on top of his head, at beautiful Fenway Park.

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who once saw Darryl Strawberry bat against the Pawtucket Red Sox many years ago.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2002, 05:55:52 AM »
dear Bob
i'm impressed someone else who remembers Sonny
Siebert !also poor Tony C. what he could have been!
jennifer
Mo was and is still liked by most of the fans here!
Just the thought of Barnabas sitting in the bleachers
,coat and cane, eating a hot dog has me ROTFL!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2002, 06:40:19 AM »
LOL, I have to thank you both for your attempts to work DS into the Mets/Red Sox/et al discussion.  But it seems to have turned into a lengthy off-topic discussion so can it please be taken off the board?  And I swear this has absolutely nothing to do with my being a staunch Dodger fan; condolences can be sent to Midnite@dsboards.com [wink2].