Author Topic: Did Mr. B. Have The Nerve To Show Up At Sam Evans' Funeral?  (Read 539 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Dear Fellow Dark Shadows Fans,

When I first saw Sam Evans' death of Dark Shadows many years ago, I was greatly saddened by his passing.  Sam and Maggie always seemed to be such fine and decent people.  Sam's untimely death unfortunately lends credence to the old adage" "Bad things happen to good people."

At Sam's funeral, I can envision Maggie's best friend, Vicky Winters, accompanying her into the church for the service.  Of course, Carolyn and young David (and, perhaps, Mrs, Johnson), representing the Collins family, would also attend.  (Mrs. Stoddard was too upset and fixated with death, thanks to you-know-who, to attend.  And, certainly, there was no love-lost between Roger and Sam for Roger to attend.)  Clearly, Dr. Hoffman, Prof. Stokes and Willie Loomis would also be in attendance.

Sam and Maggie originally came from Connecticut, and, I believe, that they also had relatives up in Canada.  So, perhaps there were other members of the Evans family at the funeral service.

Joe Haskell, along with Sam's good friends, Bob Rooney, Sheriff George Patterson and Mr. Wells from the Collinsport Inn, would be among the pallbearers at the funeral.

And, now to Mr. Barnabas Collins.  This is a man who put Maggie through pure, unadulterated hell several months before.  Of course, you may say that Barnabas was suffering under the curse of vampirism, and that he could not help himself from mistreating Maggie during that time.  However, Mr. B. was free from Angelique's curse when he decided to unwittingly enlist Sam Evans in his plan to eliminate Cassandra.  (We all saw how disastrously that turned out for Sam. didn't we?)

And, while I can't directly blame Barnabas for Adam's savage (and ultimately) fatal attack on Sam, I can't stop thinking that if Barnabas had not consented to Dr. Lang's wacky experiment, Sam might still be alive today.

I believe that Barnabas has demonstrated through his own actions that he treats Sam and Maggie as if they are "garbage."  (There's a stronger four letter word that I'd like to use, but I won't.)

For Barnabas, to go up to Maggie and say, "Please allow me to offer you my sincerest sympathies on the loss of your father," to me, is the ultimate example of hypocritical chutzpah!  I'm glad that Barnabas is now mortal, and can see his reflection in the mirror.  He can now reflect back on what he has done to both Maggie and Sam as he gazes upon his aquiline features.

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender

Spoiler PS --

For further evidence of Barnabas' shabby and thoughtless treatment of Maggie, just wait until the boorish Barnabas arbitrarily decides to use Maggie as the life force when he repeats Dr. Lang's experiment.  The man is so shameless!  (At least, Willie Loomis, through his selfless actions,  showed some care and consideration for Maggie.)