Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0541  (Read 1075 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0541
« on: May 12, 2008, 08:22:04 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0541
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 09:53:33 AM »
OK, with reference to previously discussed matters: Cassandra now tells Nicholas that she thought she could fool Professor Stokes when he had the Dream.  Golly, that woman never fails to amaze me with her idiocy.  No wonder I forgot her saying that.  Please note: I still have problems with the portrait.  Also with Professor Stokes's assessment of the situation.

Was some dialog cut out of this episode?  I don't understand why Nicholas and Cassandra were discussing the fact that Stokes knew Cassandra was a witch.  I suppose that since Angelique is such an moron, she may well have blurted it out the second that Nicholas mentioned Stokes's name to her in connection with something completely different.

I like the way Nicholas found an excuse to pay a call on Maggie.  It was a leap of thought that I didn't expect.  And he left that birdbrain Cassandra wondering what nefarious plans he was making.  Very satisfying.

When Nicholas picked up the picture of Betty Hanscom I had great hopes that there would be some discussion of it.  Since I had not seen any of the pre-Barnabas episodes when I saw this episode before, I thought perhaps I had forgotten something there.  But I hadn't.  So we're left to wonder how the portrait made its way back to the Evans Cottage, and to hope that it's happy now that it's home again.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 12:08:44 AM »
That music which replaced the original music on the tape sure was creepy! [shkdg]

For once, it was a good thing that David sneaked out of Collinwood to tell Julia about Dr. Lang's message on the tape.  [ghost_wink]  It's too bad David spoke to Cassandra first and wasn't able to talk to Julia when he wanted to.  [ghost_azn] Now Julia knows that Cassandra knows why the curse was unsuccessful.  [ghost_shocked]

It was fun to watch Nicholas being so all-powerful and judgemental of Cassandra. [ghost_cheesy] I love it when he calls her "my dear". [ghost_rolleyes]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 03:14:36 AM »
Cassandra is now more anxious than ever to return the curse to Barnabas by killing Adam, but Nicholas is now starting to ease up on that now that he knows about Adam. There's going to be conflict... [ghost_wink]

Yes, it is too bad that David went to Cassandra first, but he had no way of knowing that his stepmother was out to make his cousin a vampire again. [ghost_rolleyes]

Yep, Nicholas definitely has eyes for Maggie. Some servant of Satan he is. [ghost_grin]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 04:23:09 AM »
I do enjoy Diabolos's riding of Nick over his touching l'il "romance".   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 04:41:24 AM »
Cassandra really must be a witch.  She was able to re-listen to Dr. Lang's portion of the tape without re-winding it.

I like the dramatic irony in the Maggie/Nicholas scene.  Here's Maggie describing "good" Prof. Stokes in near-villainous terms to the man who really IS a villain, Nicholas. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 08:03:32 PM »
Quite obviously Maggie's perceptive process was pretty screwed up.  [ghost_rolleyes]

You know, maybe we've been too harsh on Vicki and others. Maybe there's something in the Collinsport water that wreaks havoc on the human brain and causes people to become clueless and imperceptive - not to mention it inflicts them with selective memory.  [ghost_wink]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 09:41:12 PM »
Well, considering Adam was responsible for her father's accident, Maggie's angry attitude towards Professor Stokes for hiding him is somewhat understandable. And of course she had no way of knowing who or what Nicholas really is. [ghost_embarrassed]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 01:42:09 AM »
Though one can dislike a person's actions and yet still have the intuitive cognition that they're actually a good person who may have simply done something that one doesn't agree with. And one can also not be fooled by a person's outwardly friendly, supportive or even charitable behavior because of an intuitive cognition that they're not really as they appear and that their actions may indeed have ulterior and perhaps even sinister motives. So, in this case, even though it might be somewhat understandable, I tend to agree with Roland that it really is quite ironic that Maggie's perceptions are so skewed - especially when it comes to Stokes, whom she already knew to be someone who is helpful and kind.

I suppose it's a case where Maggie allows her own anger towards Adam to color and cloud her perception of Stokes, and where she allows Nicholas' charms and generosity to overpower the inner voices that should be telling her to run the other way whenever he's around. But then, if she had listened and done the latter, the end to Nicholas in this particular plot wouldn't have been half as satisfying as it turns out to be...

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 04:29:34 AM »
I'm not blaming Maggie for her reactions, just noting the dramatic irony of it.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 05:41:40 AM »
in 1968,  $2,000.00 was  a lot of money.
Didn't Maggie think what Nick might have wanted.   [ghost_shocked]

Maybe Maggie was thinking more about the money and not the consequences.

Sometimes in DS, I think the adults should take the children more seriously.
Haven't they learned yet? David seems to be in the middle of many things.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate