Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0392  (Read 851 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0392
« on: February 13, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »
Robservations #392

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0392

And:
[ChristmaS0]  MERRY CHRISTMAS 1967!  [ChristmaS15]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 08:58:47 PM »
Welcome, misspelled tombstone of Jerimiah Collins! We learn that he was born in 1763.

It falls to poor Naomi to tell Joshua that Barnabas is getting married--to Angelique. He calls it a devil's bargin, little suspecting how right he is. We get a wonderful scene between father and son (LE and JF always did these so well), where poor Barnabas is forced to defend his upcoming marriage.

Joshua is convinced that Collinwood is cursed and orders Naomi to start the move to the New House. Very astutely she wonders if they'll leave their troubles behind when they move.

Josette visits Jeremiah's grave. Somehow her widow's weeds only enhance her delicate beauty. Barnabas arrives, and a tender, bittersweet scene follows. Combining his father's volatility and his mother's sweetness, Barnabas blames himself for what happened. He starts to tell Josette about his marriage, but Josette cuts him off, thinking (if only!) she knows what he is about to say. Just when he's about to insist, Angelique arrives. My lady's carriage is waiting, she says in her role as lady’s maid. There is room for M’sieur Barnabas, too. Barnabas turns her down. When Josette goes on ahead, Angelique says, M’sieur Barnabas can come along with us. I thought I might be interrupting something. Barnabas answers No, nothing at all. Angelique fixes him with a look and warns, I hope not. She goes, leaving Barnabas standing at Jeremiah's grave--no doubt pondering this preview of his married life, so different from his joyous prospects only days--and a lifetime--ago.

Next, Joshua and Naomi speak with Angelique. Joshua wants Angelique to remain standing as a servant should, but Naomi insists that he allow her to sit. Joshua is furious when Angelique refuses to be bought out. She stands her ground even when Joshua threatens to disinherit Barnabas. Naomi is sympathetic and warns Joshua that if he earns the couple’s enmity now he will be sorry later. Joshua wants them to wait till after the mourning period for Jeremiah. You only want to buy time, Angelique replies. We understand each other perfectly, Joshua comments with grim pleasure. But Naomi tells her, Please wait! If you do, I promise to be your friend for your entire married life. Angelique is nearly overcome by Naomi’s kindness. She must give in, but secretly vows that Joshua will do nothing to prevent the marriage even though it must be postponed. She leaves to pack Josette's clothes for the move to the New House.

An otherwise wonderful episode full of dramatic scenes comes to a bleh conclusion as Angelique resurrects Jeremiah to torment Josette. Oh well.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:41:34 AM »
DL-- I have to try to put myself in a new viewer's or a 1967 viewer's place, and raising the dead brought things up to a new horror level for DS, and showed what a conscienceless loose-cannon Ang was.  Even with Sarah, it was possible to think that she meant to save her all along.    Until that point, she'd influenced people's health with dolls and protected herself from attacks on her, but now it seems Angelique is willing AND able to do anything...

I admit it was all (and will continue to be) done sloppily and crudely.   This point in the story doesn't seem very thoughtful.

Yes, that gravestone is why I've been spelling it "Jerimiah".   Barnabas's uncle was only 32?   I suppose purple lapel-flowers indicated mourning. 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 03:36:47 PM »
MT, I guess you're right. The whole final scene was poorly done and could have been better, but it does show us that Angelique will stop at nothing to get what she wants. Raising the dead is far more daring than sticking pins in a doll.

And yes, the purple and black rosettes (I think they were called) are for mourning.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »
Now I know why Trask wears all black, everyone looks fabulous in black! Naomi's dress was off the charts! Josette -- shades of Lady Kitty in mourning black. And you just have to know that Edmonds must have been channeling Queen Victoria post Albert with his black lace cuffs, lol.

I was floored by Edmonds in this episode, his best performances as Joshua to date, IMO. I agree with DarkLady that everything out of the realm of the family dynamics was a step down in the episode's intensity and quality (my words not hers). It was almost like watching a PBS period piece until the supernatural aspect came into play. And the writing in these scenes was superb, again, IMO. The rest of it was good, just not captivating, to me.

And Magnus' point too -- Angelique can raise the dead, no one since Jesus has been able to do that, correct? This chick is superbad.

Anyone notice that the ladies had to step up to get to the gravesite? A slope would have been a little less conspicuous. You could hear the coffin lid open and yet no dirt moved. I didn't have too much of a problem with the actual 'hand coming out of the ground' part of it. Much better done than 99% of the special effects that have come before and after, if my memory serves me correctly. DarkLady, did you notice that Jerimiah was wearing a wedding ring, lol.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 10:00:50 PM »
No, I'm afraid I didn't notice Jeremiah's wedding ring!  [snow_embarrassed] Great catch!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 05:37:33 AM »
Joshua wants to let it be that Jeremiah blew his own head off while cleaning his rifle to keep scandal away from the family. I can see the town already speculating on it being suicide.
I wonder if this is the first instance of the miracle stonemason fashioning a headstone in no time at all.
Barnabas is worth 10,000 in gold according to his father.
It is really interesting to see Joan and Louis as husband and wife.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 05:08:26 PM »
Ten thousand 1795 dollars in gold would be worth almost $182,000 in today's money. It still doesn't seem like enough value to put on pre-vamp Barnabas.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 05:49:42 PM »
Ten thousand 1795 dollars in gold would be worth almost $182,000 in today's money. It still doesn't seem like enough value to put on pre-vamp Barnabas.

Are you saying he's a better catch, after becoming a vampire?!

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 10:05:45 PM »
That's hilarious, MT! What I really meant was that Barn was such a (may I say it) sterling character before he became a vampire. I'll be laughing all afternoon!