Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0789  (Read 512 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0789
« on: September 12, 2014, 01:04:08 PM »
Robservations #789

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0789

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 05:54:13 PM »
Gregory's plan to induce madness is revealed in the VO, before he starts doing it onscreen...  HAA has an obvious combover now.  Evan conjures a fake Minerva they can control, after real ghost Minerva starts appearing.  Why real Minerva would cooperate by leaving the scene just then, I have no idea.  In the spell, Evan specifies that there must be no deformities in the ghost.  An odd request. 

Greg and Evan's gaslighting of Judith Collins is one of the cruellest, if not the cruellest, thing anyone on DS ever did.  Trask plunges Judith into total isolation, of the kind that stays even in a room full of people.  She has to experience the visions alone, without even feeling able to tell anyone.  She has to experience them, and pretend it's not happening.  There's no apparent way out of a situation like that, ever. 

Minerva follows Judith up the stairs, silently.  Creepy.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 09:46:33 PM »
Yes, great work by Clarice Blackburn in this part of the story.

HAA has another one of his great spell-casting/conjuring moments, with those expressive hands of his.

The last scene really is cruel, but great work by everybody:

Trask seats Judith on the sofa, sits beside her and says, Tell me why you lied to Edward. I can see something is wrong in your eyes. She admits, A few moments ago, in my room--I saw Minerva's spirit in the corner of my room!  His lips twitch as he attempts to hide his smile, then he says, It had to be your imagination. Even if spirits could possibly return, Minerva's never would. She was kind and tolerant, and I'm sure that, wherever she is now, she looks upon our union with the greatest of joy. He clasps her hand. I suppose so, Judith says halfheartedly. Now, you know how I feel about liquor, Trask says, but a little brandy might be just what you need right now. He gets up to pour her a drink to calm her nerves. Suddenly, Judith exclaims, Minerva is here again, on the other side of the room!  Minerva is sitting on the opposite side of the fireplace and sewing, and the Collins family embroidery (gold embroidery on red fabric) makes its first appearance. Trask starts when he sees her too but insists, There’s no one here. There’s no one in the room but us. But you must see it, Judith insists, agitated. She's there in that chair! It's all in your mind, Trask replies. It can't be, Judith wails. Look at me, Trask orders her. As Judith obeys, he continues, Remember what I said earlier about being afraid. I remember, Judith replies, plainly terrified. For some reason, Trask says, the memory of Minerva is dominating your thoughts when you should be thinking about us and our future together. If you think about _that_, everything will be all right, he assures her. That's what you want, isn’t it? Yes, very much, Judith answers, turning to face him. Turn around and look across the room, he orders her. Tell me what you see. Minerva is still there, of course, but Judith says she sees nothing. There! Trask tells her. Didn't I tell you? I'd like that brandy now, Judith says and downs it quickly, her hand trembling. You're still very upset, Trask notes. I'm all right, Judith assures him. I don't see her anymore. Her? Trask repeats. Your wife! Judith says. But Judith, _you_ are my wife! Trask insists. With a smile, he continues, Keep reminding yourself of that: I am Mrs. Trask. Say it, he urges her--my students don't hesitate. I'm not feeling well, Judith says faintly. Go upstairs to rest, he suggests. Won't you come with me? Judith almost pleads. I have a few things to do down here, he says. Can't you do them later? she asks pitifully. You're acting as if you’re afraid to go up to your room alone, Trask observes. You aren't afraid, are you? No, of course not, Judith replies, though her eyes are wide with terror. You’ll come up when you’re finished, won’t you? As she gazes across the room, Minerva leaves off her embroidery and their eyes meet briefly [scary!]. Judith walks across the darkened foyer. Slowly she moves toward the stairs. She leans on the newel post a moment to steady herself, briefly covering her face with her hands, then even more slowly goes up. Minerva follows her. When Judith gets to the landing, she turns around and screams, Don’t come any closer! Don’t come near me!....