Author Topic: Avatar Directory  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Afan

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
« on: September 08, 2002, 07:06:36 AM »
?!?Please help me to understand how I get to the Avatar Directory.  I have mastered most of the technology that I need for the Board, but have not been able to find this directory.  I would like to choose an Avatar for my profile, but I have looked in both the profile and the help screens and cannot find the directory that Avatar 1968 refers members.  Thanks so much.  I enjoy this Board.
Afan
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Avatar Directory
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2002, 11:34:37 PM »
You access the avatars on your profile page. Scroll down to the section that begins with "Personal Text", and there you'll see a rectangular box to the right of the "Personalized Picture" explanation. Scroll through the names there (they're listed alphabetically). Clicking on a name will both display that avatar and select it. Once you've decided on the one you'd like to use, scroll down to the bottom of the profile page and click on "Change profile".

I hope this helps. :)

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2002, 01:43:40 AM »
[thumb][thumb]Thank you so much.  I will try it.
Afan

Afan

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2002, 03:50:12 AM »
[thumb]It worked! I like this until I can get an avatar of Quentin or Beth or Quentin and Beth! Thanks. Afan

Afan

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2002, 11:09:04 AM »
I wish I there was more of Joe, since he is my favorite male on Dark Shadows.......:-)

jon
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2002, 06:53:13 AM »
Hey, I have a question for MB about avatars (*duh*).  Its just that a ways back I noticed that Luciaphil (here comes the envy) had an avatar from a different directory (p_avatars) I think, and I couldn't access it from the general directory (not that I was planning on *stealing* it, haha).  Anyway, I was just wondering (because, sadly I cant be devious and rumage through the dsboards directories) if there were anyother rouge avatars floating around out there.

btw, im really quite happy with timothydalton.gif, I was just curious.
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline CandleLighter

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2002, 07:38:02 AM »
uh oh.. how did u get MB's avatar Miles?  lol

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2002, 07:45:15 AM »
Hey, I have a question for MB about avatars (*duh*).  Its just that a ways back I noticed that Luciaphil (here comes the envy) had an avatar from a different directory (p_avatars) I think, and I couldn't access it from the general directory (not that I was planning on *stealing* it, haha).

Hope you don't mind if I respond in MB's place, Miles.  Luciaphil's avatar is a photo she provided (it's also posted in the Members' Archives, along with other fab JB photos from her personal collection), so it's not in the members' avatar directory.  The same would apply if you were to provide a personal avatar.  So to answer your question, the directory that's in your profile is the only one that's available for everyone to peruse and use (assuming somebody else isn't already using a particular image) for their avatars.

Anyway, I was just wondering (because, sadly I cant be devious and rumage through the dsboards directories) if there were anyother rouge avatars floating around out there.

Actually, rummaging through directories that aren't available for an individual to access is hacking, and I can't think of a single website, DS or otherwise, on which it isn't a grave violation.

btw, im really quite happy with timothydalton.gif, I was just curious.

I've taken down the avatar you'd replaced it with.

The forum guidelines state: [Similarly,] none of the images/graphics displayed on the forum may be utilized in any way, shape or form without prior written permission.

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2002, 03:23:20 PM »
I'm a little short on time so I'll have to hurry this:

Ok, if I'd have known the p_avatars were personally provided images I wouldn't have asked.  Its just that I can't access the members' arc (my computer and software are dreadfully old), so I had no idea where it was coming from.

As for me being an evil hacker- I had just hoped that I might be able to get access to the stuff in the archive.  Ya know, find a file thats probably in the archive, chop off the file name and da-ta, it brings up an list of whatever.  Believe me when I say that I have no other "designs" on dsboards.com

And about MB's avatar- that was a joke, but if it breaks rules #9, then i shouldn't have had it up and you were right to take it down, sorry.

Thanks for listening!
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2002, 07:18:05 PM »
I'm a little short on time so I'll have to hurry this:

No problem.  :)

Ok, if I'd have known the p_avatars were personally provided images I wouldn't have asked.  Its just that I can't access the members' arc (my computer and software are dreadfully old), so I had no idea where it was coming from.

Well, asking is never a problem.  I hope you know that we're always willing to answer questions and strive to give satisfactory explanations.  And I figured that when you said you couldn't access some of the avatars displayed on the forum that you meant you weren't able to for some reason, but to be quite frank, joking about stealing and being devious when visiting a website isn't a good idea.  I'm willing to give our members in good standing the benefit of the doubt, and you're certainly not a stranger, but most webmasters and mods on other sites will act first and ask questions later, so my intention above was to make you more cognizant of what you say on the topic of image theft and to let you know that you can find yourself in hot water for helping yourself to images without first being invited to do so.  I hope I've accomplished that.

As for me being an evil hacker- I had just hoped that I might be able to get access to the stuff in the archive.  Ya know, find a file thats probably in the archive, chop off the file name and da-ta, it brings up an list of whatever.  Believe me when I say that I have no other "designs" on dsboards.com

I didn't think you were an evil hacker.  I got what you were trying to say and if I had suspected otherwise you wouldn't be here anymore.  But you made the comment about rummaging through directories that haven't been made public, and I would have been remiss if I hadn't pointed out to you that what you were referring to is hacking and that it's not a laughing a matter.

And about MB's avatar- that was a joke, but if it breaks rules #9, then i shouldn't have had it up and you were right to take it down, sorry.

Thanks for listening!

Thanks for your reply!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2002, 02:25:06 AM »

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2002, 03:30:27 AM »

I LOVE the emoticon!! Is that Barnabas hitting Willie?!
Fits right in with my online m/m story!
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2002, 04:37:29 AM »
Fits right in with my online m/m story!

What is that, and where is it, Carol?

(Is that not the funniest emoticon on here? [lghy] )

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas