Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0450  (Read 650 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0450
« on: May 04, 2013, 05:40:07 PM »
Robservations #450

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0450

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 03:41:24 AM »
A replay of the witch arriving from the message Natalie sent over the occult network. Bathia relates there is a madwoman in the tower from which Barnabas has agreed to not escape. The removal of the curse may result in death. It is realized that Millicent has gone way over the edge and the holes in her neck are discovered.
The lightening and storm give an eerie look to the drawing room. The key lighting particularly the half shadowed face of Bathia is good.  So are there good and Bad witches and are they both in league with the devil? Won't he be pissed if Bathia intercedes?
Another dock girl appears  unfortunately. Apparently Millicent wasn't tart enough for Barnabas.  The light from the good witch interrupts the feast and Barnabas returns to the tower where he is crossed and then tries to strangle Bathia. A storm in a house on a hill is one of my favorite things.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 05:40:30 AM »
Has every Nancy Barret character gone mad at some point?  **  First appearance of a cross being used against Barnabas.   **  I enjoy silent and uncredited Smiley McTrollop, just standing there pleasantly and serenely on the docks, while Barnabas tries to figure out what Bathia's doing to his head.   **   Ang can't stop Barnabas from speaking!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 03:33:31 PM »
Joshua finds Millicent alone in the tower room. She has lost whatever shreds of sanity remained to her. She takes him to task for coming to "her" room. Finally he spots the bite marks on her neck and guesses what has happened. Full of pity and sorrow, he draws her close. Barnabas, he sobs, then, Millicent, my poor Millicent. I'll make it all up to you. Barnabas couldn't help himself. She tells him, You must tell the man claiming to be Barnabas to stop using your house. There was a man here, a man who looked like Barnabas--but he was very different. I’m doing what I can about it, Joshua tells her. Millicent giggles again. I don’t remember what you do, she says. Joshua gazes at her with sorrow.

On the docks, a nameless (and silent) streetwalker is putting the moves on Barnabas. He is not exactly reluctant despite his earlier resolve, but she will survive the night, because Barnabas hears Bathia's call in his mind. Follow the light, she tells him. He sees the candle flame hovering in the air before him and begins to follow it.

When Barnabas arrives at the tower room, Bathia is waiting for him with a cross. She holds it up in front of him, and he cringes away with a cry of pain. She places it on the coffin to deny him a place of safety. As he tries desperately to get away from her, she circles him, forming a protective magical field. But Angelique has already possessed Barnabas's body and speaks through him, refusing to be dislodged. Bathia places her hand on Barnabas's heart. He falls to the floor, still. Then, without warning, he springs up and seizes her by the throat.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 07:38:17 PM »
I absolutely love the expression on Bathia's face in this shot:

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 05:09:56 AM »
OMGoodness, I unexpectedly loved this episode! You've got to give it to Anita Bolster for pulling off the ‘look’, lol. She gives a ‘fun’ performance in this. I don’t even remember it from my first viewing, at least not being this substantial. So much has only been made of her infamous blooper that I took for granted that she couldn’t act, or at least that it was her ‘only’ line. I am enjoying the character and the performance immensely – so this is a really nice surprise for me. Love, love, love her incantation scene re: the flame to bring Barnabas back to Collinwood and everything thereafter. This feels so out of the ordinary and is so interesting/engrossing to me. Her voice is off-the-charts fabulous.

Barrett is marvelous playing the ‘mad’ Millicent and Edmonds does a wonderful job as a remorseful Joshua. I guess it's a bit late in the game to ask, but does anyone think Joshua’s circumstances changed him or do you think he was always capable of deep sympathy. Great scene.

Random thought: Barnabas finally gets an attractive floozy and he gets summoned away. The editing is sometimes horrible in this episode.