Author Topic: RETURN TO COLLINWOOD  (Read 6430 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
RETURN TO COLLINWOOD
« on: September 01, 2003, 03:07:40 AM »
I wanted to tell you how the story of Collinwood was wrapped up in the present day by those actors and actresses who presented us with a wonderful radio-style rendition of RETURN TO COLLINWOOD.  The actors "onstage" stood at microphones and read from their scripts while the others sat.  When a scene was finished, those actors took their seats and the next actors stood at the mikes to read their lines.

First off, for those wondering, it was mentioned briefly that Barnabas and Julia were off in Hong Kong, together.

Carolyn, now married to (hold down your gorge) Ned Stuart, is the matriarch of Collinwood.  Elizabeth is dead (as is Roger), and has left very specific instructions for a seance to be held (presumably to conjure up Liz herself) and for her last will and testament.

Quentin returns home from Peru after a fruitless search for David, who is on an expedition and hasn't returned to Collinwood for 10 years.  Maggie, whose husband Joe is deceased, is a nurse-administrator at Windcliff, looking after a silent, motionless Sebastian Shaw.  Although she and Quentin seem to have an understanding, she's obviously annoyed that he doesn't confide in her.  They have been a couple for a year, but there's been no commitment.

Willie Loomis and his wife, Jessica (portrayed by Marie Wallace) live in the Old House, which now, thanks to Willie, has plumbing and electricity.  With Elizabeth's generous help, they own the Blue Whale, which now features karaoke!  Willie installs a Jacuzzi (yup) in the Old House basement.  When he and Jessica encounter problems with the pipes, he's forced to open a wall in the drawing room to check it out.  Inside the wall, he finds a large package and a letter.

Carolyn, who has taken up paining lanscapes as a hobby, astounds Maggie by painting a picture of a gorgeous blonde woman who Maggie doesn't recognize.  Angelique appears to Carolyn, urging her to kill everyone else in Collinwood, calling her a "good girl" when she agrees.  The audience quickly realizes that Carolyn's hand is being guided by none other than the witch herself, who is apparently seeking to return.  She accomplishes this by possessing Carolyn.  During the seance, Carolyn, Ned, Quentin, Maggie, Willie and Jessica share the round-table honors, but instead of bringing back Liz, they conjure up Angelique!

The witch herself, now claiming to be Roger's long-lost wife, Cassandra Collins, immediately starts trouble for everyone.  She's decided she's been mistreated by Collinwood residents since 1795 and that she and Quentin, both immortal, should rule the manse and dispense with everone else.  To blackmail Quentin into agreeing with her plan, she awakens the comatose Sebastian Shaw (who has resided at Windcliff for 10 years) and compels him to steal Quentin's painting, which is what Willie Loomis unearthed behind the wall at the Old House (along with a poignant, sniffle-inducing letter from Barnabas thanking Willie for being so loyal).  Shaw knocks poor Jessica unconscious and steals the portrait.

Quentin knows he must get back his painting; if Casangelique makes good her threat to destroy it, he will return to his werewolf state!

Quentin formulates a plan--he will keep Cassangelique "occupied" during an intimate dinner for two while Willie goes to the Collins mausoleum and recovers the painting.  Quentin is sure the witch has hidden it there.

In a hilarious scene, a nervous, flashlight-wielding Willie returns to the tomb, where no good has ever happened to him or anyone.  He finds the painting, but is forced to confront Sebastian, who is guarding it.  Willie applies his flashlight to Shaw's head and makes off with the portrait.

James Storm portrays a professor from the college where Carolyn was his student (or she was a teacher, my mind isn't clear on that point).  He unearths information about one Angelique Bouchard that is quite interesting.  He also realizes what Carolyn thought was Liz' handwriting in her will was actually Carolyn's--all to promote Angelique's safe return to Collinwood.

Angelique's plan is thwarted.  She's furious, of course, but Liz' will gives Cassandra a permanent home in the cottage on the estate, which will surely lead to other problems in the future.  Also in her will, Liz confesses to an affair with a man she does not name that produced Victoria Winters!   Carolyn bursts into tears when she learns that her own half sister was living under her roof.  Liz begs Carolyn to find Vicki, to whom she has left Seacliff, somehow.  Liz has also given Willie the Old House and all the property surrounding it.

A woman named Violet Collins--David's wife!--appears at Collinwood.  She has all the proper paperwork, but Quentin is puzzled by her maiden name--Chavez!  She has control of David's 50 percent interest in Collinwood, and we wonder just what her plans are for the family.

Maggie, all set to turn her back on Quentin because of his refusal to share with her,  finally convinces him to tell her the entire truth about himself.  He asks her to sit down--for five hours or so--he will tell her everything.  We are left with the impression they will end up together, at last, even though she has a brief bout of jealousy over his little dinner with Cassandra (which was just Quentin's way of getting her attention so Willie could steal back his portrait).

I nearly forgot--Donna Wandrey played a hilarious Mrs. Danvers type role.  She took over for Mrs. Johnson as housekeeper, and she is one scary gal!  You MUST be on time for her meals, or else.  When she urges Maggie to leave Collinwood, all but threatening her, we realize that she champions the evil Cassandra Collins and is apparently her helper.

So there are loose ends in RETURN TO COLLINWOOD, and I'm sure I forgot someone/something, but this script, written by David Selby's son, Jamison, was wonderful, filled with humor, warmth, poignancy, wit and joy.

And yes, there was a standing ovation at the end, and everyone applauded wildly upon learning that Liz was Vicki's mother!

Love, Robin

P.S. - This will be made available on tape for those interested in purchasing it.  Personal recording and flash photos were forbidden, but I saw some folks taping it anyway, and there were definitely several flashes during the show (from those who can't or won't follow directions).

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
Re:RETURN TO COLLINWOOD
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2003, 03:16:37 AM »
Thank you for giving such a detailed account of Return to Collinwood!  I have been eager to hear about it, about how everything was wrapped up.  It sounds like it was a lot of fun, for the audience and for the actors too.  Thanks again, Robin!   :-* :)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2003, 03:32:59 AM »
wow that was a great story i hope that they filmed it!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2003, 03:36:39 AM »
Thanks Robin :-*

Was this 'performed' by the aforementioned actors/actresses (I'm assuming sans scenery, as you said 'radio-style').

How was this presented?

Did anyone tape it to purchase?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2003, 03:56:52 AM »
Thanks Robin :-* Was this 'performed' by the aforementioned actors/actresses (I'm assuming sans scenery, as you said 'radio-style').How was this presented?
Did anyone tape it to purchase?Patti
I'd be interested in purchasing this video if it becomes available. Does anyone know?
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2003, 04:26:42 AM »
Oh, that sounds absolutely wonderful!! :) :)  I would have loved to have seen/heard it!  Thank you for telling us all about it!  :)
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2003, 04:28:54 AM »
From the last ShadowGram:

* The ONSTAGE SEQUEL PLAY "RETURN TO COLLINWOOD" will be released by MPI later this year.  Its world premiere is at the DS Festival convention in Brooklyn over Labor Day weekend.

Thanks for the recap, Robin!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2003, 10:38:10 AM »
Carolyn, now married to (hold down your gorge) Ned Stuart

NO! NO!! NO!!!!

That's not only twisted and sick, it's just plain wrong!!

(What terrible hold does RD have over Jamison Selby to force him to write such depravity?!)

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2003, 12:39:16 PM »
Hi Robin thanks for sharing with us!!!
Wonderful Story!!!
Wish i was there.    Love Anne :D ;) :-*
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2003, 03:39:08 PM »
What a nice recap, Robin! Thanks for posting that. It must have been great to experience that in person.

--Mark

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2003, 03:50:22 PM »
MB,
     Carolyn married to Ned Stuart.  Well, I have a theory.  Every family has an a**hole in it either by blood or marriage.  I guess the Collins family was in need of one and Ned Stuart fit the bill. :P

PS.  Robin, thanks so much for the recap.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2003, 04:32:53 PM »
Carolyn, now married to (hold down your gorge) Ned Stuart

NO! NO!! NO!!!!

That's not only twisted and sick, it's just plain wrong!!

(What terrible hold does RD have over Jamison Selby to force him to write such depravity?!)

[lol2] [lol2]

Ned is my favorite RD role as he is in the least episodes [lol2]

jennifer
Carloyn was grief-stricken maybe this is the reason  :'(but i'd rather see her insane ,as in 1995, than with Ned oh the thought! :o
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2003, 05:09:04 PM »
Thanks, Robin!

Tell us, did the actors who played their original roles fall back into character vocally?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2003, 05:37:49 PM »
Robin,

I know Diana Millay opted to not participate, but did Lisa Richards have a part?

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2003, 07:48:21 PM »
Response to Midnite:

I didn't see Lisa Richards all weekend, but I wasn't there Saturday, so that could be when she made her appearance.  She was NOT in RETURN TO COLLINWOOD, nor was Millay.  I don't know why the latter didn't participate.

COLLINWOOD featured Karlen, Selby, Scott, Barrett, Davis, Storm, Wandrey, Wallace, Pennock and Parker.  I think that's everyone.  It was so enjoyable, I wished I were sitting closer.  I confess: When Carolyn read from Liz' will that Vicki was her biological daughter, I started to cry, and so did many in the audience.  I can't tell you why, but I was thrilled to tears to hear it!

Roger Davis was not a bombastic pain in the ass like Ned Stuart was, although he did seem to be pawing at Barrett more than was necessary, especially since it was supposed to be a radio show containing little or no touching.  Everyone else sounded exactly right, and Selby's Quentin was the man from 1897--wry, witty and caustic.  I thought he was right on the money, and his scenes with Cassangelique crackled.

I kept thinking, wistfully, how much I would have loved to see Jonathan Frid and Grayson Hall appear.  The latter can't, though I hope she was there in spirit, and Mr. Frid is enjoying the life of a country squire, according to Marie Wallace, in Canada.  I was also wondering if they might have David Henesy appear.  I can only imagine the standing ovation he would have received from the huge crowd!

Love, Robin