Author Topic: a house for julia  (Read 2225 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
a house for julia
« on: September 10, 2005, 09:16:48 PM »
the further one progresses into the series the further one gets away from dr.julia hoffman's ruse about being an historian researching the history of the collins family being exposed.
and since this was ostensibly the reason she was staying at collinwood the less and less sense her continued presence there makes over time.

vicki,maggie and mrs.johnson worked for the family so thier presence make sense.but julia?

so i was wondering why the desicion was made to keep julia at collinwood rather than explore numerous other options that might have made more sense.
now she could have returned to wyndcliff but would that have removed her from the main action too much?or how about being offered matthrew morgan's cottage or one of the other properties on the estate?since she spent most of her time with barnabas anyways could she have moved into the old house or would it have been considered "improper" for an unmarried lady to be living under the same roof as two men(and julia was a "proper lady")?

couldn't they just have built a new set as a house for julia like they did when other characters took up residency in collinsport?from a budgetary standpoint was it simply cheaper and easier to keep julia at collinwood?or was it a deliberate plot device to keep her in the thick of things? :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
Re: a house for julia
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 09:32:18 PM »
Maybe Julia should have moved into Maggie's house after Sam died. I guess Elizabeth couldn't figure out how to ask Dr. Hoffman to leave, and Julia just stayed there so she could be closer to Barnabas.

Misa

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 09:36:47 PM »
I think the real advantage of keeping Julia in the house was that it fostered the impression that she was actually a member of the family.  Julia was privy to family secrets in a way that, for instance, Elliot Stokes never was.  I doubt the story would have had the same feel if Julia constantly needed bringing up to speed about the latest tragedy or supernatural manifestation  besetting the family.

And yes, of course, it helped to keep the story moving that she wasn't always being summoned from another part of the estate.  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 10:51:05 PM »
Well two members of this Board did write a story exploring the true nature of Elizabeth & Julia's relationship . . . >:D
Julia99

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 01:21:55 AM »
Well two members of this Board did write a story exploring the true nature of Elizabeth & Julia's relationship . . . >:D

And what an intriguing and..titillating story it was.  >:D :-*

wenchily,

Heather

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 05:21:35 AM »

Collinwood has lots of rooms, and at that point Julia had became fairly close to the family.  Plus, I'm sure they liked having a doctor in the house.  Maybe she even paid them room and board.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 02:49:39 PM »
I agree, Dr. Hoffman stayed at Collinwood to be a part of the action.  The Collins being the #1 family in Collinsport would be the best family to host the renowned doctor when she wasn't at Wyndcliff. It's not like there wasn't plenty of room after Jason and Willie left.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 07:44:02 PM »
That Julia & Liz story was just... THE BEST.

When I was watching DS as a child, although I started in 1968 and had missed the whole intro of Julia, I never questioned why the family had her living on the estate.  Apart from the fact that they all appeared to be quite fond of her, they were all so dependant on her sedatives that it would have been a real nuisance to have her suddenly living off the estate!

Yes, gang, Julia WAS Dark Shadows' very own "Dr Feelgood"!

groovin' on,

Gothick

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 05:38:08 PM »
  Collinwood has lots of rooms, and at that point Julia had became fairly close to the family.  Plus, I'm sure they liked having a doctor in the house.  Maybe she even paid them room and board.

This is very true, and w/the secret of Paul Stoddard's "death" no longer a secret, Liz would of course have no problem letting outsiders into the house to live.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 02:23:36 AM »

thank you luv. . i do think i'm in full recovery now from Monday.  ..
Julia99

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 12:37:10 AM »
I think the real advantage of keeping Julia in the house was that it fostered the impression that she was actually a member of the family.  Julia was privy to family secrets in a way that, for instance, Elliot Stokes never was.  I doubt the story would have had the same feel if Julia constantly needed bringing up to speed about the latest tragedy or supernatural manifestation  besetting the family. 

And yes, of course, it helped to keep the story moving that she wasn't always being summoned from another part of the estate.  ;)

Well said Rainey.

Also, various Collins' frequently need a physician.

But, good topic....other's who came to Collinwood were 'offered' a cottage...Jeff (I think), and Laura...why not Julia?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 01:47:01 AM »
patti,

while laura was indeed offered the cottage as a place to stay(in both 1966 and 1897)it's intersting to note that jeff clark was not offered the cottage or for that matter any of the numerous bedrooms at collinwood.i think that probably had to do with the social mores of the era.since vicki and jeff were romantically involved(but not yet married)it would have been "improper" for them to be residing on the same property.

instead he is invited to stay at the evans' cottage(basically a two room shack).but again,when sam dies,jeff offers to move out post-haste saying something along the lines of it "not being right" for him to stay there any longer.

again,i think that's why julia never moved into the old house even though she spent most of her time there.it would not have been "proper" for an unmarried lady to share a house with two men.things like that still mattered then.especially on a daytime drama(no matter how outrageous)that relied on it's advertising dollars from housewife-friendly products like dish soap and laundry detergent.

strangely carolyn offered the cottage to chris jennings(with whom she was romantically involved)but perhaps because amy jennings was staying at the main house and carolyn's mother owned the property it wasn't so much of an issue.plus they didn't really put carolyn on the same moral pedestle they did vicki.

now i bet all that is more commentary than you bargained for. [hall2_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 05:05:17 AM »
I was always waiting for Julia to say, "Blast all the craziness in this big old house - I'm moving into the cottage with Chris Jennings! Sure, nights with a full moon may be risky, but it'll beat trudging up and down that Collinwood staircase!"

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 02:03:06 AM »
nice new photo Sandor!
Julia99

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 02:16:23 AM »

So, where can one find this story?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey