Author Topic: Peter and Vicki--Maybe some spoilers  (Read 2294 times)

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
Peter and Vicki--Maybe some spoilers
« on: September 07, 2005, 10:52:36 PM »
So I've been watching the 1795 storyline for the fifth time or so, and I just thought of something:  [spoiler]when Peter unlocked Vicki from her cell so she could get the family history book, why didn't they just escape right then and there?  Why didn't they run off to some hiding place or high-tale it to Boston?  Vicki should have known what with Peter's incompetence as an attorney (he wasn't even one yet!) and Trask's and virtually everyone else's determination to see her hanged that she would be found guilty.[/spoiler]  Poor Alexandra Moltke...playing such a stupid caricature of the wonderfullness that was Vicki.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Peter and Vicki--Maybe some spoilers
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 01:24:24 AM »
i watched this storyline some time ago but i think there were a few things going on with this.

for whatever reason the show's producers thought that vicki could only express virtuous qualities.even at this point she was suppossed to believe that she could help to prevent some of the disasters predicted in the history book and also prove her own innocence(didn't work out so good). ::)
also since vicki and peter weren't married it would have been "unvirtuous" for them to to run off together.

on a practical note they needed a dramatic way for vicki to return to the present and what's more dramatic than an innocent woman about to be hung at the gallows.

slightly off-topic but as for vicki's other great love the missing and presumed dead burke devlin during this part of the show peter asks vicki if she's married and she tells him that she's "engaged".so even at this late date burke was still something of a factor.as we all know however after the storyline returns to the present vicki never gives him a thought again.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 12:51:49 AM »
About that stupid witch story. [spoiler]I guess it never occurred to anyone that if Vickie had such amazing powers as a witch and could "appear" and "reappear" at will, why the heck didn't she dissappear out of that jail for good. Somehow this all-powerful witch got herself jailed and hung without much resistance. Also, after a couple of people finally (sigh) figure-out Vickie was NOT the witch no-one really questioned how it is she came from the future (or if she did come from the future) the fact that the real witch (Angelique) might have inadvertently contributed to Vickie's time-travel.[/spoiler] Lots of loose ends but still 1795 is sublime.

Offline Satan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 03:05:43 AM »
I'm glad Vicki didn't go on the run. It's not like her character to do something like that. She knew she wasn't guilty and tried to make everyone else believe that. I know Alexandra thought her character was a victim on the show, but she really fought back in this story when people messed with her. I liked seeing that side to her.

Since this is a topic on Peter and Victoria, could someone explain this to me? [spoiler]I watched the entire Leviathan storyline last weekend and got to the epsodes with Peter. How could Jeb have killed Vicki in 1795 when he wasn't made until 1970? I don't think it even mentioned him going into the past during his episodes, so I don't see how he was able to do that.[/spoiler]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 03:39:07 AM »
Since this is a topic on Peter and Victoria, could someone explain this to me? [spoiler]I watched the entire Leviathan storyline last weekend and got to the epsodes with Peter. How could Jeb have killed Vicki in 1795 when he wasn't made until 1970? I don't think it even mentioned him going into the past during his episodes, so I don't see how he was able to do that.[/spoiler]

Hi, Satan,

[spoiler]Jeb traveled from 1796 to the present; not the other way around.  His "essence" was in the Naga box that the Leviathans entrusted to Barnabas before he was returned to 1969.[/spoiler]

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 06:26:04 AM »

[spoiler]Midnite explained this one, and I'd like to add that this is probably the most hated plot development ever on DS.  A lot of fans, myself included, like to pretend this episode and ridiculous, unnecessary verbal story never happened.  FYI. [/spoiler]

Offline Satan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 07:53:19 AM »
[spoiler]Midnite explained this one, and I'd like to add that this is probably the most hated plot development ever on DS.  A lot of fans, myself included, like to pretend this episode and ridiculous, unnecessary verbal story never happened.  FYI. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]I like the Leviathan storyline because it's interesting and fun to watch, but I agree it was stupid for the show to add this to the story. Victoria wasn't even involved with the Leviathans so I didn't understand these episodes about her. If they wanted Jeb to be bothered by a ghost, why not bring in Jeremiah since there was a lot of talk in the show over Josette being captured by the Leviathans? It would have made more sense to use something that was already involved in this story than bringing up a character that has been gone for a year or two.[/spoiler]

Thank you Midnite for answering my question.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 04:03:47 AM »
[spoiler]I think the intent was to introduce the Jeb/Vicki incident with hopes that Alexandra Moltke would return to the series.  I assume Vicki would have been revived or saved somehow if the storyline had continued.  I actually don't hate the concept. When Vicki was first mentioned again after being gone for so long, I was intrigued and expected to see her at some point.  I wanted to find out what happened to her and to learn how the heck Jeb was involved with her death.  After awhile, I realized this wasn't ever going to happen.  It was a disappoining development because all we got were some throwaway lines with no payoff afterwards.   I can't pretend the sequence of events doesn't exist though.  It's definitely canon.  Peter's ghost was POed enough to come back and haunt Jebez, so it had to have happened within the context of the series.  I just wish we had been able to see how it played out, and then had a followup where Vicki comes back or is saved from death.[/spoiler]
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 04:50:36 AM »
wow...lots of spoilers here.

i haven't seen the leviathan storyline yet.but as to the incident which seems to have many fans upset(vicki's fate)i can safely say i will gladly join those who simply refuse to accept this development.

several of the books list an episode guide.when i get to the part everyone hates i will simply fast-foreward through this episode and it will not have happened for me.case closed! :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 03:51:52 PM »
I'm really starting to miss Anthony George in this storyline--Roger Davis is so irritating!  I don't even remember him being this annoying, but I guess I just fast-forwarded through most of these witch trial episodes the last time I watched 1795.  Once Josette and Angelique are effectively out of the picture, my interest wanes until a certain Collins discovers his son's certain secret...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 04:17:44 PM »
The whole thing about Jebez's life in the 1790s was never properly fleshed out.  The appearance of Peter Bradford's ghost happened very last-minute.  It was supposed to be the ghost of Paul Stoddard, but Dennis Patrick had another commitment and wasn't available for those shows.

I always thought Dan insisted on the story snippet cited above out of sheer spite because Alexandra had defied his wishes and refused to come back to the series.  Dan did sometimes dictate specific story developments, according to interviews with the writers.  They'd protest that the developments conflicted established continuity or simply made no sense, and he'd say something like "I can always get somebody else to write this show, you know."  I think this kind of thing explains why the series got more and more chaotic over time.  Lela Swift began to play this game when she became producer in 1970, too.  The final Angelique/Barnabas storyline was supposedly her idea.

G.

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 04:55:43 PM »
on a practical note they needed a dramatic way for vicki to return to the present and what's more dramatic than an innocent woman about to be hung at the gallows.

I couldn't agree more with that. I remember, back when I watched the syndicated episodes when I could back on Sci-Fi (since I wasn't...well...existing back during the original airings), and I saw the episode when

[spoiler]she was hung at the gallows. Much to my surprise, when I can finally tune in a month and a half later, I'm knee-deep in the Adam storyline and Vicki's alive![/spoiler]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 03:27:53 PM »
Another thing didn't make sense....I brought this up on a recent thread, when [spoiler]Angelique sends Peter back to his grave, he doesn't recognize her,[/spoiler] yet back in 1795 during Vicki's first trip, Angelique appeared to testify against Vicki....Peter most certainly did know her.

Shame on Dan! Because he was mad at Alexandra for not returning he had to sell out her character by killing her off instead of letting her live her life out peacefully with her beloved Peter....how petty! >:(

Also on the recent thread, I came up with an alternative....since Parallel Time came on the heals of the Leviathan story, maybe it was a Parallel Time Victoria Winters [spoiler]Jeb wounded up killing[/spoiler] and the Parallel Time Peter came back to want to kill Jeb....whereas the Regular Time Vicki and Peter lived out full and happy lives. I much rather believe this is the case than to think the real Vicki met such a sad and undeserved fate.

edited by mod