Author Topic: uhhh...Je Parle...Americain  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
uhhh...Je Parle...Americain
« on: April 14, 2003, 01:00:22 PM »
uh...okay...I'll bite.
Why are all the notices/profile/home in Spanish?

I don't speak Spanish.....

Patti

What a Woman!

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:uhhh...Je Parle...Americain
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 01:47:59 PM »
Exactly what I was wondering Patti.  Of course, this could be an opportunity to actually use some of the Spanish I studied in high school and college - provided my foggy old memory can manage to recall it.   ;)
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 02:16:49 PM »
uh...okay...I'll bite.

If you haven't already, check out "Ciao!" - currently two topics down from this one. ;)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 06:53:10 PM »
Oh, dear....I REALLY did take Spanish and I know it when I see it.  However, I DO tend to drift off on Mondays... [confused5]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 07:03:06 PM »
Oh, dear....I REALLY did take Spanish and I know it when I see it.  However, I DO tend to drift off on Mondays... [confused5]

Well, don't feel bad - the Spanish buttons will be showing up before too long. And after all, Italian, Spanish, French and Portuguese are all related by the fact that they're Romance Languages, and they probably share more similarities than differences. ;)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 07:15:05 PM »
Don't forget Romanian, which, when spoken, bears a significant resemblance in pronunciation to the Sicilian dialect of Italian.

Actually....Romanian would be sort of appropriate around here!!  :D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 09:53:52 PM »
If we had a sound feature it would be cute to have a voice rollover effect pronouncing each word (like at Webster.com - well that's a click activated one but you know what I mean) ... besides that I'd just love hearing the accents.  ;D

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2003, 10:40:40 PM »
I really (I'm serious) am getting a kick out of this. Now when I downloaded the new version of Media Player and discovered that everything's in Arabic that was a problem.

But the Italian is really kind of cool ;)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2003, 02:46:16 AM »
Now that we got the English back, I kinda miss the Italian!  But that's OK - I went to Italy four times and that's enough (but the last time was the neatest, because nine of us rented a four-story villa built into a cliffside overlooking the Bay of Naples, complete with gardens, a patio, and a swimming pool!).

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2003, 03:24:19 AM »
Is jealousy-induced insanity a valid defense for murder?   [madan]

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2003, 07:35:37 AM »
Is jealousy-induced insanity a valid defense for murder?   [madan]

You took the jealousy right out of my...well, you know what I mean.

Wow, Gerard, I know that must have been an unforgettable experience. I'd kill to see Vesuvius. I spent a few days in Italy in a town called Nemi. Got to go to Rome for a short tour with my host. I was in such awe that I could barely process it.

dom

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2003, 01:16:09 PM »
Let me tell you, Dom, that was actually one of the CHEAPEST vacations we ever took!  The reason being is because there were nine of us and we rented that palatial villa.  There was only one charge for it, and it could accommodate twelve in all its bedrooms, so whether one person booked it, or twelve, the charge was the same and split by those who stayed within those magnificent walls.  We stayed about ten days in that house, and the cost, per person per day, was about forty dollars.  You can't stay in a Motel 6 for that anymore!  Next we're looking into renting a castle in England, but only if we can get a ton of us to go again, so as to keep it cheap, cheap, cheap.  And you save even more money because you don't hafta eat out for virtually every meal - you're allowed complete kitchen use (and - best of all - there's a washer and dryer in most of these places....no overpacking! - for that Italy trip, I took everything I needed in a carry-on).

Gerard

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2003, 02:39:39 PM »
Gerard, we travel alike!

We go to Puerto Vallarta, Mex. often and usually travel with about ten people and rent extraordinary beachfront villas. And they always come with cooks and maids (talk about the good life!). We are lucky in that we have that many people we can have fun with for two weeks and not end up at each others throats.

I hope you get to stay in an English castle and have a blast (I know you will!).

Dom (who absolutely hates those European washers!!! LOL)