Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0405  (Read 575 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0405
« on: March 04, 2013, 11:14:10 PM »
Robservations #405

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0405

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 11:57:01 PM »
Josette takes Barnabas' advice and decides to leave Collinsport and head to Boston. Natalie decides to go with Josette (Grayson did a whole lot better at not being Julia in a french wig). Makes sense to me because I know that she is indeed in danger for her life. Abigail is wearing putana red - shocking! Barn gifts Josette the music box. I liked the scene. I was a bit surprised that Barn & Josette are already planning a life together. Oh, my mistake, Abigail is wearing big mouth red. Ange's portrait distortion reminded me of those ghoulish comics books from the sixties. Frid's & Parker's scenes were pretty dramatic/intense! Was anyone shouting -- Shoot her again! Shoot her again!

Ange casts the big curse and Barn gets bit and all I could think about was if the bat would get billing again...and it did.

Anyone catch the bat's errant shadow in the drawing room?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 05:35:09 PM »
I've had mountains of words to say on this episode in the past... all that is probably to be seen in the link here to the old WP thread.  Not this time.  I seem to be burnt out on the big episodes, and need to find other not so obvious big ones to talk on.

I'm glad they redid the Curse scene next episode, so we have a choice of takes.   I wish Lara had fallen back at least a step or two, to show an impact happened.   That sort of thing was less important on TV then.   

I used to not Mr. Frid's scream, which I felt overcame the incompetence of the squeaky, silly bat, and made this a pivotal moment, where a;ll the innocence was being ripped out of Barnabas's soul against his will, for all time.  My neurological thing doesn't really allow me those sorts of emotional reactions to TV or anything, anymore, I guess.

For years, my tapes ended with the following episode, so those from here on I'm less familiar with, so I should find it easier to have things to say on them.   I need to haul a big box out of the closet with a different set of tapes for that, sent me kindly by a DS Forums member.  This might be ny third viewing of them.   

Last time I watched early Barnabas, I watched in real time, skipping 1795 entirely, treating the seance as a brief passing event between hounded-by-Dave Julia, and the start of Adam and Cassandra.   Interesting.  Try it sometime.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 06:01:53 AM »
Josette decides to leave and frankly I never saw the point in her staying unless at some point they had her staying because of Barnabas. He gives her the music box and hangs her painting over the mantel which just seems bizarre knowing that Angelique has powers and could destroy it or Josette. Barnabas shoots Angelique which seems to have been what he had planned to originally do before all the fumbled attempts. Whoever he loves will die through all eternity. The bat returns again to attack.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 04:20:35 PM »
For the last time as a mortal man, Barnabas kisses Josette, promising to be with her again soon.

The curse! The curse! One of the best and most powerful scenes ever--and as MT notes, we get to see a retake too.