Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0900  (Read 565 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0900
« on: March 10, 2015, 01:54:41 PM »
Robservations #900

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0900

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 05:17:19 AM »
So is there any event here that merits its being episode #900?  #700 was the start of 1897.  #800 was the revealing of Fenn-Gibbon as Petofi.  Grayson VO.  This wasn't Payment Due Day, was it? 

1949 Flashback begins!  And ends!  "Barnabas" gets Stoddard to recall a conversation on Dec 4 1949 with "Strack", another character part from John Harkins.  Though I keep imagining Garth Blackwood happening by and killing off all the 1969 characters... A DS information site said this was his last DS part, but of course that's not true I now realize, since we have Horace Gladstone coming in Parallel Time.

Harkins must have SO much fun acting.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 04:10:48 PM »
Yes, John Harkins seemed to enjoy himself! I guess Horace Gladstone was his longest-running part on the show.

IMHO, the best part of this episode is the last scene, with Paul and Barnabas at the BW after the flashback. For me it has a dreamlike, fairy-tale quality, like one of those stories ("Beauty and the Beast," for example) where a father in dire straits gets help from some supernatural agency but has to surrender his most precious possession as payment. I thought it was written by Violet Welles, but DS Wiki says it was Sam Hall.

As the flashback ends, we see Barnabas actually laughing. Under the circumstances, his laughter is even more terrible than his smile. It was just an unimportant, drunken conversation, Paul blusters. Barnabas presses him to remember the date: It turns out it was December 4, 1949--twenty years ago to the minute, Barnabas points out. Paul says, Things have been going very well for me the past twenty years. I would say that we upheld our end of the bargain, Barnabas agrees. How are things lately? The bottom has fallen out, Paul admits grudgingly. Yes, we know, Barnabas says. You lost everything. You see, we planned it that way so that you would be here for our meeting tonight. What do you want of me? Paul asks. I have nothing now. I had nothing then. Think, Mr. Stoddard, Barnabas advises. You did have something then but never realized it. Paul looks confused for a moment, then starts to laugh. What are you laughing at? Barnabas asks, laughing with him. I just realized [what he says] my most precious possession, Paul says triumphantly. It is supposed to be my soul! Well, you can have it. It is all yours! Barnabas laughs a little longer and then smiles as he says, No. Your soul, Mr. Stoddard, is not your most precious possession--obviously. Just then Carolyn hurries in, goes straight to Paul, and hugs him. Oh, Father, she says, I am so glad that you found each other! I have been so worried. Paul assures her, Everything is going to be all right now. Indeed it is, Barnabas agrees as he turns that frightening smile on Carolyn. Now that you are here. With dawning horror, Paul turns to face Barnabas as he concludes smugly, You are your father's most precious possession, you know.......

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 04:19:28 PM »
I've always wondered whether Strak is an anagram of Trask. 

I guess the big reveal of this episode is the story of Paul's bad bargain with the Leviathans. Episode 901, however, will have two new features.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 04:25:39 PM »
Especially since a Reverend Strak turns up in NODS! [snow_wink]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 07:45:43 PM »
That's right, Uncle Roger! (I've only seen it once, and that was the chopped-up version.)