Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1075  (Read 1454 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1075
« on: October 01, 2010, 06:41:22 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1075
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 05:54:24 AM »
Sounded like David was kidding about what hadn't been seen in 130 years.   Henesy knew it would be towels, of course.   ***   JF has a lot of tension in his shoulders.   It could just be a character choice, but I will guess not.   Tad/David and Carrie/Hallie's handwritings have always been similar.  Why?  How?   They were linked even before Hallie and David were born?

Last time I saw Julia in big hair and that grey, Nehru-ish suit, it was in the one brief scene right after VW had returned to 1968, after Julia had had a chance to change (out of her 1967 clothes forever thankfully), but before she had sped off to town to cut her hair short.

Quentin is getting a head start on his future insanity, through his choice of ties.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 04:12:17 PM »
When Barnabas and Julia talked about Tad and Carrie having died when they were David's and Hallie's ages, I thought: "Maybe that's the answer to why latest haunting came exactly now.  Maybe it had to do with David and Hallie, as they are right now, being exactly what was needed."  If that's the case, then what would have happened if Amy had come at the same time Hallie did and if, consequently, Quentin's ghost had not been unearthed - or unroomed - until now?  Would the two competing sets of ghosts have been aware of each other?  How would David have been able to deal with the demands of the both?  Which girl would he have liked better, Amy or Hallie?  Obviously the Dark Shadows story-planners would not have had Amy and Hallie there at the same time - but that's our universe.  Things could be different in the Dark Shadows universe.

Another thing: what if Denise Nickerson hadn't left?  I'm assuming she wouldn't have been kicked out to make way for Kathy Cody.  She's well-liked on this forum, so I imagine she was well-liked by the viewers back in 1970.  And I can't see Amy being either (on the one hand) wimpy and impressionable like Hallie or (on the other hand) teenage macho like David, so how would the storyline have been written?  The writers can make characters change, of course, but I think the writers would have been clever enough to get this storyline going the way they wanted without changing Amy too radically.  I'd just like to have seen how it was done.  Hmm...maybe she would have been as adversely affected by Chris's departure as Hallie was by the accident that killed her parents.

We got a lot of ordinary conversation in the drawing room today.  It was pleasant.  We got the sendoff into the blue of Chris, Sabrina, and Amy, with the general feeling that nobody would ever hear from them again, despite the fact that the post office and even telephones did exist in 1970.  No particular reason was given as to why they left, but Julia's departure into parallel time was surely a contributing factor.  Julia doesn't seem to feel any guilt over it, though.

I had my doubts about that eclipse of the moon, so I checked Wikipedia, which says that eclipses of the moon are no big deal.  Oh, well, I'm sure Encyclopedia Britannica says they happen only once every 500 years.

Ah.  That something-or-other that MB mentioned not so long ago has subsituted "bab" for "m", turning the earth's satellite into an animal fulling capable of turning its backside to the world.  Cute.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 04:37:04 PM »
Actually, no - I'm just correcting the mistake that DS made originally. It was always planned that the first clue would be The Night of the Nun and the Baboon (and you should have seen how they were planning to bring THAT about!) but Frid screwed up his line reading in Ep #1069 and, sadly, it became what we know, and that's what we were stuck with - a simple and one might say boring (certainly by comparison) lunar eclipse. But the Night of the Nun and the Baboon would have been epic. EPIC I tell you!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 04:44:38 PM »
Epic?  We'll never know because, until we can access other timelines, what-ifs will remain what-ifs.  But I do suspect that the Night of the Nun and the Baboon happens less often, not to mention less publicly, than a lunar eclipse does.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 11:35:44 PM »
I do suspect that the Night of the Nun and the Baboon happens less often, not to mention less publicly, than a lunar eclipse does.

I would think so - which makes them all the more special.  [b003]  But alas...

Perhaps one day in a future version of DS...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 09:15:15 AM »
This isn't good.   I don't understand the last few posts.   Maybe I will, another night.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 05:37:18 AM »
Julia and Barnabas poring through family history books and old records-- how many times are we going to see that in the next month and a half?  [b071]

The door to David's room is in a different place, but since the tower room seems to move depending on what part of the house it needs to be viewed from, I suppose it makes sense that David's room could move around too.

When Barnabas and Julia talked about Tad and Carrie having died when they were David's and Hallie's ages, I thought: "Maybe that's the answer to why latest haunting came exactly now.  Maybe it had to do with David and Hallie, as they are right now, being exactly what was needed."

I think that's what the writers intended us to believe.  But is it a coincidence, then, that Hallie came into the house while David was the same age as Tad at the time of his death, and Amy came to Collinwood when David was near in age to Jamison at the time his uncle died, or did the ghosts have something to do with the timing?  And if it's the latter, did those same ghosts have anything to do with the tragic deaths of both girls' parents?

I can't see Amy being either (on the one hand) wimpy and impressionable like Hallie

Now I have no problem with that.  Amy had her moments of terror, and Beth's spirit seemed to have no problem taking over her bodywhenever she wanted.

I had my doubts about that eclipse of the moon, so I checked Wikipedia, which says that eclipses of the moon are no big deal.  Oh, well, I'm sure Encyclopedia Britannica says they happen only once every 500 years.

Apparently a total lunar eclipse only occurs once every 2 or 3 years, so I'm buying the characters' reactions to it.   That makes it Carolyn's most important clue, and so Barnabas' freakout over it was understandable.  I suspect that Julia was more focused on keeping an eye on the kids that night than on wanting them to witness something unique.  And Quentin... well, can we blame him for being fascinated with anything having to do with the moon?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 01:27:53 PM »
Good posts everyone!  MB hysterical! Thanks for the laugh! ;0)

8/7/70
David's voice boom over my surround sound!

“Barnabas try to remember that the Collins family history isn't particularly famous for it's accuracy. I mean what happened to you was important and you were deliberately omitted!  Julia   Truer words were never spoken Julia. Grayson looks wore out I think the two week workload is catching up with her.

“….no. I was just thinking about Chris. I hated to see him and Sabrina and Amy go away together like they did. I can't help thinking about what maybes happening to them, especially on a night like this!” Quentin I am really glad that DS addressed this.  They so often left things dangling.

Quentin is drinking up a storm.

Good episode!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 09:18:22 PM »
I missed that Chris/Sabrina reference, and had been waiting to hear it.   I'm very glad it's in there.  At least it's a sort of happy ending, and it's nice to think of someone existing who was willing to deal with his curse with him.   And a wife makes it easier to get out of social engagements when the Moon is full....  "I'm just hangin' round my apartment so I can't come to your party" tends to wear thin.