Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0468  (Read 1650 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0468
« on: January 30, 2008, 05:22:09 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0468
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 05:37:15 PM »
Lela Swift had mirrors on the brain today.  First we had the mirror in Vicky's hospital room, and the focus on it as Vicky and Dr. Lang left the room.  Next we had Carolyn looking into the mirror in the foyer at Collinwood thinking about scarves.  And finally we had Leonardo's portrait reflected in the mirror of the drawing room during the closing credits.  Three mirrors.  Since it's three, the magic number, it must be meaningful.  Maybe it's about Jeff being the mirror image of Peter?

During the scene in the drawing room with Vicky, Carolyn, and Julia, there was rain on the window.  Rain!  It was especially neat because it's raining where I am, so I looked from my wet window to the wet drawing room window to my other wet window, and felt a little bit as though I were there at Collinwood.  Then Vicky and Julia went to Eagle Hill and didn't get a drop on them, proving the old saying: if you don't like the weather in New England, wait 5 minutes.

That was one huge flashlight that Vicky was carrying.  Jeff's looked smaller, and Julia's looked smallest of all.  Three flashlights, of varying sizes - what does that mean?

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 06:11:01 PM »
i love how conveniently carolyn and vicki  just "forget" that barnabas is a vampire and until two days ago both were under his control.that certainly was easy on the scriptwriters.this allows them to forge on with barnabas' repositioning as the show's guilt-ridden anti-hero without any messy loose ends.

spoiler...
we will see however that not everyone's memory banks are so easily wiped clean of this frightening fact.

the effect with the rain against the collinwood windows was cool.they should have gone for that more often.

yes vicki and julia arrive at the collins mausoleum bone-dry.as usual during "storms" on d.s. we don't want mascara running or hairdo's drooping.and what was with this show and wool coats.no matter what the season or weather the ladies are always wearing boxy wool coats.
jeff,if i recall however,is wearing a "wet" rainslicker and has weird fake drops of rain in his hair.i guess guys are allowed to get wet.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 09:06:11 PM »
If the mirrors symbolize anything.... could it be the fact that Barnabas is cured, and now has a reflection?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 09:45:12 PM »
If the mirrors symbolize anything.... could it be the fact that Barnabas is cured, and now has a reflection?
It also symbolizes the director's new found freedom to use mirrors for just that reason! :)
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 09:58:14 PM »
It also symbolizes the director's new found freedom to use mirrors for just that reason! :)

good point... making up for lost time?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 11:33:56 AM »
Sounds logical to me... That's what I was thinking, too. [snow_wink]

I also love the effect of the rain on the windows. Yes, indeed, that was another of DS's irregularities - the women not getting wet in the pouring rain!  [snow_cheesy]

Quote from Robin:
Now both Vicki and Carolyn are free from Barnabas' control (not that either of them ever really seemed to change under the vampire thrall, not nearly as much as Willie or Maggie), they can pursue their own lives.
I believe the reason for this could possibly have been the fact that Vicki and Carolyn were related to Barnabas, and Willie and Maggie were not.  It seems to me that blood relatives wouldn't be as affected by a vampire. [snow_huh]

Dr. Lang was mean to Jeff/Peter. I thought it was creepy that Dr. Lang ended up taking Vicki home, when Jeff/Peter had already offered to do it.  [snow_sick]
That was neat when Jeff/Peter opened the secret room panel. He just walked up there and did it. [snow_happy]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 01:13:14 PM »
I believe the reason for this could possibly have been the fact that Vicki and Carolyn were related to Barnabas, and Willie and Maggie were not.
But is Vicky related to Barnabas?

That was neat when Jeff/Peter opened the secret room panel. He just walked up there and did it.
Yes, it was.  The hand remembers things that the mind does not.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 03:54:19 PM »
True, the mystery of Vicki's parentage was never revealed onscreen, but I believe Joan Bennett stated in an tv interview years after the show ended that Vicki was indeed Liz' daughter (though, IIRC, I think Art Wallace's original "bible" would have revealed that Vicki was actually the illegitimate child of one of the Collins' and her parentage was hidden to avoid scandal).  I suppose we will never know for sure, but the idea that Barnabas' thrall being weaker on blood relations makes a kind of sense, though one could also argue that Vicki and Carolyn were freed from his control because the curse was broken and they minds simply blocked out the horrifiying circumstances...

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 08:27:14 PM »
True, the mystery of Vicki's parentage was never revealed onscreen, but I believe Joan Bennett stated in an tv interview years after the show ended that Vicki was indeed Liz' daughter (though, IIRC, I think Art Wallace's original "bible" would have revealed that Vicki was actually the illegitimate child of one of the Collins' servants and her parentage was hidden to avoid scandal).  I suppose we will never know for sure, but the idea that Barnabas' thrall being weaker on blood relations makes a kind of sense, though one could also argue that Vicki and Carolyn were freed from his control because the curse was broken and they minds simply blocked out the horrifiying circumstances...
Sorry, had to amend that....emphasis mine.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 09:37:36 AM »
Although it was never revealed on the show, years later, in "Return to Collinwood", it was revealed that Vicki was indeed Elizabeth's daughter! [cheer] I saw this play onstage, and was absolutely thrilled to hear this. [snow_wow] I was so happy, I actually cried! [snow_cheesy]

----- Sally ----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 04:12:55 PM »
I still think that Angelique's portrait weakened Barnabas' power over Vicki and Carolyn....although the blood-related theory sounds like a good one too....heck, maybe it was a combination of both.

I didn't like Dr. Lang brow-beating Jeff in here either. Also his telling Vicki she was bound for new and interesting things (or maybe it was new and unusual, I forgot) I found to be creepy. If I were Vicki I'd have taken a cab home instead.

It's nice to see Carolyn normal again and being civil to Julia again now that she's free from Barnabas.

I liked how one scene switched from Barnabas' portrait to Angelique's....perhaps it was foreshadowing that Barnabas was still not going to be freed from Angelique's grasp yet.