Author Topic: Dark Shadows: Why Such a Huge Gay Following?  (Read 11375 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows: Why Such a Huge Gay Following?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 01:53:41 AM »
Interestingly, the only person I had a crush on was TLATKLS.  I still do.  I had the opportunity to meet quite a few of the handsome menfolk from DS when I went to my one and only festival (in 2003), but the only time I almost passed out was when I got to meet her.  Go figure.

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2008, 03:57:30 PM »
gerard,

i hear you.cute as some of them are i don't really have a "crush" on any of the male actors on the show but i'm totally smitten by alexandra moltke. [love10]

again,go figure.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2008, 11:35:29 PM »
Yes, I'm gay, and for me the appeal is definitely centered on the boys like Chris Jennings, whose lives are ruined by a secret part of themselves which they can reveal to no one, and which makes relationships with the women of collinwood impossible, tragic passages of wasted hope.  Of course, on the show, they only use metaphors for homosexuality, just like supernatural metaphors are used for so much child abuse and trauma. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 05:11:20 PM »
That was my first thought. Though the many other insights posted here are well said and appreciated.  But ahhh, that beefy Jennings charm....

There just isn't any other word for it, but Vampire Tom was .... hot ....

yep, the jennings.......

but, i always thought that julia was lesbian, due to the fact that she was in love with something she would never have and yet always seemed to gravitate to the  young women in their nighties to help them out.   also, who was petofi's little bytch, the guy with the "dancing lady"  he was definietly GAY.    there were more, but can't think of any now.    (i was always concerned about david growing up--would he be GAY?)

David

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 06:28:57 PM »

What Willie Loomis says makes perfect sense, LOL!

I think that Crazy Jenny screaming "And you were wearing MY GREEN DRESS!!!!" is a line loaded with drag queen subtext!

David

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 10:32:42 PM »
I threw a party ten or so years back with my then-roommate (a gay man).  We had videos playing on both televisions in the house - the living room one was running Russ Meyers movies and the television in my bedroom was running "Dark Shadows", both with the sound turned down, since we had party music on. 

As the party was winding down, I noticed that several of my roommate's friends (all gay men) had congregated in my room, turned up the sound, and were watching DS.  One of the guys is a NYC DJ.  He said that all of his NYC friends were watching it on the Sci Fi Channel at that time, and they all found it fabulous.  Of course, I had to agree.  We ended up hootin' and hollerin' (as we call it here down South) through several episodes.  It was great fun.

Dark Shadows has many qualities that I'd think gay people would relate to.  The high drama, the Gothic aesthetic, the divas, the attractive young men, and of course the subtext inherent in the plight of Barnabas Collins - it's all been mentioned here.  Overall it offers an escape to a strange, exotic world that's really like nothing else - surely that must appeal to lots of gay people.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2008, 12:00:50 AM »
The word "subtext" is used in different fandoms (ex: Xena).    Is this supposed to mean something intentional on the part of writers, or just something that can be read into it?   I'm big on defining my terms lately.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2008, 05:59:14 AM »
Gothick's article, rough draft or not, sounds fascinating. Please let us know when/where to find the essay once it's posted! I've never been able to analyze exactly why the gothic genre has always appealed to me, nor even been able to reliably define "gothic," despite having a literary background. I know it when I see it, but I'm not able to really define it.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 05:39:29 PM »
I am still trying to find that zine "The Secret Room" its most likely deep in some box in the closet.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 08:29:42 PM »
I am still trying to find that zine "The Secret Room" its most likely deep in some box in the closet.

Get out the blueprints for your house or building... it may be in a secret room.     It may vaporize moments before you find it, though, and set up a secret lair elsewhere.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2008, 09:48:28 PM »
Or you may find that 'zine in a playroom that can only be reached via your own personal "stairway through time!"
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2008, 03:52:17 AM »
Or you may find that 'zine in a playroom that can only be reached via your own personal "stairway through time!"

Now that's far-fetched.   I suggest you stick with my sensible theory about the secret room.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2008, 12:25:22 PM »
Try the locked box on top of your armoire.

David

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2008, 04:38:51 PM »
Maybe in got zapped over to Parallel Time.
As soon as the room changes you should be able to find it.

David

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2008, 05:07:36 PM »
Maybe in got zapped over to Parallel Time.
As soon as the room changes you should be able to find it.

Maybe Lamar Trask fell onto it when he died, and maybe it got buried with him.   I presume he was buried.... somehow, someplace....